Wedding Party

Alterations?

Hi Knotties,
I am planning on paying for the dresses for my BMs, but am wondering what the best way would be to handle alterations? I would ideally like to pay for these as well, but many of my BMs live out of state, and it seems a little weird to have them, like, send the bill or something?

Has anyone dealt with something similar? Should I just pay for the dress and tell them alterations are on them, or is there a good way to logistically pay for alterations for everyone without making it a big complicated thing? 

Thanks.

Re: Alterations?

• You're being generous paying for the dress. I would be thrilled to have bridesmaid dress paid for and would pay for alterations if I needed them.

• I would just talk to each BM individually and tell them that you would like to reimburse them for the alteration costs.  Once they get the alterations done, they pay for them up front, but then tell you that they cost $X.  Then you cut them a check for reimbursement.

Or tell them that you would like to contribute $X to the alterations.  Send each BM $100 (or whatever) and tell them that is for them to put towards alterations.

• I would just talk to each BM individually and tell them that you would like to reimburse them for the alteration costs.  Once they get the alterations done, they pay for them up front, but then tell you that they cost $X.  Then you cut them a check for reimbursement.

Or tell them that you would like to contribute $X to the alterations.  Send each BM $100 (or whatever) and tell them that is for them to put towards alterations.
    I agree with the bolded. It's incredibly generous of you to pay for the dresses to begin with, that I would just say you'll give $x towards the cost. This will keep things simple and significantly reduce the cost for your bridesmaids, if not eliminate it all together. 
  • I was in a wedding where the bride paid for our dresses. As for the alterations she told us we could have them done where ever we prefered and she would cover up to $100 of the alterations. That is a possible option to try.

• I agree that you are being very generous paying for the dresses already so I would think if any of the girls needed alterations they would be more than willing to pay for that themselves.  If you feel so inclined, keep it simple as PPs have suggested by allocated a certain amount.

Anniversary
  • I think the bridesmaids will want to have alterations on their own. I know with my bridesmaids it is kind of a personal thing. I think paying for the dresses is very generous and you should leave any alterations up to them. I think they will totally understand. I know my bridesmaids would. On another note the money you save by not paying for their alterations you could spend on nice gifts for them.
  • Thanks everyone for the replies! I think I am leaning towards having them cover alterations on their side, to keep it simple and for the reasons mentioned above.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards