Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Boxes Before Shower

My shower is this weekend.  We received 6 boxes today from places we registered.  I'm not sure what I am supposed to do.

Am I supposed to open these now? Do I wait and take them to the shower and open there?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Boxes Before Shower

• Options
    If there is a card saying who it's from and they are attending the shower, I would wait. If they are no able to attend then I don't see anything wrong with opening them before.
  • Options
    I would open now.  The whole point of the shower is to open the gifts, so I would assume anyone shipping directly is someone who either can't make the shower (and you should verify everything arrived intact and write the thank you card asap) or it is an unrelated wedding gift (which should again be opened to verify nothing is broken and thank you written asap).
  • Options
    VicTim328 said:
    My shower is this weekend.  We received 6 boxes today from places we registered.  I'm not sure what I am supposed to do.

Am I supposed to open these now? Do I wait and take them to the shower and open there?

Thanks in advance!
    Open now.  Send thank you cards.

I got invited to my cousin's wedding.  I declined to attend.  I had a gift mailed to them from their registry.  Had I gotten a Thank You Note in a timely fashion, I would have likely written a check to arrive around the time of the wedding.  The gift arrived (or not), but I didn't get a thank you note.  The shower happened, but I didn't get a thank you note.  The wedding happened, but I didn't get a thank you note.  Finally, two months after the wedding, I got a thank you note.  I was peeved.  

Open the gifts, make sure everything is in tact, send a thank you note.
  • Options
    jacques27 said:
    I would open now.  The whole point of the shower is to open the gifts, so I would assume anyone shipping directly is someone who either can't make the shower (and you should verify everything arrived intact and write the thank you card asap) or it is an unrelated wedding gift (which should again be opened to verify nothing is broken and thank you written asap).
    If there is a message that indicates it is a shower gift, I would open it at the shower and send a thank you note immediately after the shower along with the other ones. I received a gift at my house for my daughter. On the packing slip it said the sender was sorry they weren't able to attend the shower. The gift was also wrapped by the store. So if it is a similar situation, I think it is ok to wait until the weekend to open it. If you can't tell if it is a shower gift, open it and send a TY note immediately.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice!

Nothing on the outside of the boxes indicated who everything was from, so I opened the shipping boxes. Four of the boxes were from my boss, who RSVP'd yes.  On the packing slip was a message along the lines of "happy shower and wedding!" She purchased our dishes, and everything came individually packaged... I haven't open the individual boxes yet.

I'm calling her today to thank her, but also ask if she is still planning on attending, and if so, what her preferences are... there will be several colleagues there, so I'm thinking she may not have wanted them to know.

The other two were from different people who are also attending, but they came wrapped, so I'll open them there.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    VicTim328 said:
    Thanks for the advice!

Nothing on the outside of the boxes indicated who everything was from, so I opened the shipping boxes. Four of the boxes were from my boss, who RSVP'd yes.  On the packing slip was a message along the lines of "happy shower and wedding!" She purchased our dishes, and everything came individually packaged... I haven't open the individual boxes yet.

I'm calling her today to thank her, but also ask if she is still planning on attending, and if so, what her preferences are... there will be several colleagues there, so I'm thinking she may not have wanted them to know.

The other two were from different people who are also attending, but they came wrapped, so I'll open them there.

Thanks again!
    I always have gifts shipped to the person.  I would never expect them to put boxes into their car, drive them to a shower, walk the boxes into the shower, open the gifts, re-pack the boxes, re-walk them back to the car, and try to fit them all back into the car with everything else that was received at the shower.  It's just not how I roll.  I'm very logical.  If I don't want to schlep that stuff to the shower, I certainly don't expect the bride to.  At the shower you can say, "And I got some of my china from Judy.   It came in the mail to my house earlier this week.  Thanks so much, Judy!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards