Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

XP Has anyone had a projection mapping cake (updated)

ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited October 2016 in Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Has anyone had/seen a cake that images can be projected onto?  We are getting a quote next week but just wanted to see if anyone has seen one at an actual wedding.  We were going with a small nod to Star Wars with lots of shooting stars etc.   

Re: XP Has anyone had a projection mapping cake (updated)

• All I can think is "Pull out the checkbook!"...  Also, be aware that most bakers will not replicate copyrighted work (especially Disney!) so be aware of this going in that it'll be an interpretation of because rarely do they have the permissions...
  • ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the reply!  We did discuss this with guys who own the company and they say they obtain copywrite useage licences etc so it's all above board.  

We are not looking for a copy of the Disney cake (that was just to show the idea) but rather our own design.  We did want a nod to Star Wars (yes that was FI's idea).  

I haven't got my quote yet but the ballpark they gave me seems reasonable when compared to a typical designer cake.  I think Disney charge $3K for theirs but the company in Scotland charge no where near that amount.
  • I have never heard of this, but it's kind of cool. Worth the money? Meh.

That picture reminds me of all the 0s and 1s from The Matrix
  • I've never seen this before being on TK and someone snarking about this.

Honestly, this would be memorable in a bad way for me as a guest. I'd wonder what the point was. And once the cake is cut, it would be over. I wouldn't do this.
  • So I think it's a cool idea, but I've only ever seen it in pictures. If you decide to do it I'd check with your venue to make sure they have the properly equipment/setup that you will need before you sign a contract with the baker.

Maybe this is a stupid question because I've only seen pictures, but it looks like it needs to be fairly dark near the cake for this to work. Is your wedding in the evening or do you have a way to make it dark enough at least around the cake to work?

IMO this is one of those things that looks really good in pictures, but isn't worth the hassle in reality.
  • Thanks girls.  I will get the full quote in a couple of days time.  My FI LOVES tech so he is so in love with the idea.  I'm kinda on the fence TBH.  He just loves new techy stuff.  We will wait and get the full quotation.  I always wanted the cheapest cake ever and he wants the most 'show stopping' option possible.  Apart from a kick ass band and an open bar it's the only thing he's asked for so far.  So I want to make sure he's happy, IYKWIM.
  • I love him so much I just want him to have exactly what he wants xxx
  • So I think it's a cool idea, but I've only ever seen it in pictures. If you decide to do it I'd check with your venue to make sure they have the properly equipment/setup that you will need before you sign a contract with the baker. Maybe this is a stupid question because I've only seen pictures, but it looks like it needs to be fairly dark near the cake for this to work. Is your wedding in the evening or do you have a way to make it dark enough at least around the cake to work? IMO this is one of those things that looks really good in pictures, but isn't worth the hassle in reality.
    Our cake cutting will be after sunset so it will be dark enough for the full effect.  Also the company that does it is not a baker, they are a Sound and Light company.  They set up all the rigging necessary.  We would need a separate baker.  Hope this made sense?
  • Yah that makes sense. I guess, if it were me, it seems like a lot of coordination between multiple vendors (baker, lighting/tech, and venue) and money for something you're not going to get to enjoy for all that long. If it's something you can afford that your FI really wants that's cool. I don't think its something that will really be all that big of a deal for your guests.

If your FI is super into tech and you want to do something that reflects that is there anything else you could do that you'd at least enjoy for the entire reception? What about projecting something on the dance floor or walls? It just seems such a waste for something that's over as soon as you but the cake.
  • In answer to questions, the company can also project stuff on walls as decore, that's a really good suggestion so I'm going to ask them about that.

We are hosting our guests with apps, a multi course meal and open bar so I would be a little surprised if anyone side eyed our cake choice but I guess everyone is different.

...and tbh I don't really think it's that lavish. It costs less than a designer cake from the local places round here and is a fraction of our food and beverage costs, like less than 5%?
  • It sounds like you're hosting everyone really well and I personally wouldn't side eye it (also from your other posts it sounds like you have tons of food and have really thought about your guests). And if it's in budget and what you really want, go for it. Just because it's not everyone else's taste on here doesn't mean it's wrong.

For me, I'd hate to only have something like that for such a short period of time, but ask them if they can do it on the cake then up to the walls or down to the dance floor after? That way you're still getting the cake you want, but that it's not "over" as soon as you cut the cake. I'd also ask if they can show you it set up in the studio/office that way you can see it in person rather than just pictures. Maybe that will help you decide if it's really what you're looking for.
  • After getting a better sense of your plans, @ScottishSarah, I wouldn't side eye it as much as I would if the wedding was more casual.
  • It sounds like you're hosting everyone really well and I personally wouldn't side eye it (also from your other posts it sounds like you have tons of food and have really thought about your guests). And if it's in budget and what you really want, go for it. Just because it's not everyone else's taste on here doesn't mean it's wrong.

For me, I'd hate to only have something like that for such a short period of time, but ask them if they can do it on the cake then up to the walls or down to the dance floor after? That way you're still getting the cake you want, but that it's not "over" as soon as you cut the cake. I'd also ask if they can show you it set up in the studio/office that way you can see it in person rather than just pictures. Maybe that will help you decide if it's really what you're looking for.

Thanks very much. We are meeting with the guys next week and I'm going to ask them about projecting onto our venue to get more bang for our buck. You are very right here!

• After getting a better sense of your plans, @ScottishSarah, I wouldn't side eye it as much as I would if the wedding was more casual.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I totally know what you mean. FI and I went to a wedding in an expensive hotel where only nibbles were served and we were so hungry!! I couldn't help but think they they could of served a full meal in a cheaper venue or had a non meal time reception, so I didn't want us to get our priorities wrong IYKWIM??

Thanks very much. We are meeting with the guys next week and I'm going to ask them about projecting onto our venue to get more bang for our buck. You are very right here!

Also I work in a wedding venue and I have seen their work projected onto our walls and it is pretty damn cool
  • Yes we are total nerds, I'm so not going to tell our parents as they would think it was the dumbest idea ever!  But we love it.  
  • Good luck with the meeting, let us know how it turns out!
  • Got our quote, £400 including travel, set up, take down and service (plus the cost of the cake £200? plus their meals) so within budget.  They will also project onto the venue so that the moment is not so fleeting.  Below is an image of their work.  They would work with us to create different moving images and patterns while the cake cutting is going on.
  • That is super pretty!

I'm curious...how are you guys having the cake decorated? Is it going to be simpler because of the projection? The cake in the pic looks like it is flat white and the projection serves as all the detail instead of piping or other colors. I love all things baking-related!
  • Yes Jax the cake will be totally plain and hopefully will be a yummy flavour!  The cake above was a mock up they set up at my workplace to promote their work.
  • I really hope you post photos after the wedding! How cool!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• That looks great and I'm glad they're going to project to the venue after the cutting. So glad it worked out.

Also, that is far cheaper than I would have expected it to be!
  • ViczaesarViczaesar member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Yes Jax the cake will be totally plain and hopefully will be a yummy flavour!  The cake above was a mock up they set up at my workplace to promote their work.
    I thought for a second that you named your cake Jax! (long day)

• Viczaesar said:
    Yes Jax the cake will be totally plain and hopefully will be a yummy flavour!  The cake above was a mock up they set up at my workplace to promote their work.
    I thought for a second that you named your cake Jax! (long day)

Haha that's brilliant!  I will be sure to post pictures after my wedding in July if anyone is interested.  Meeting the guys today at 4pm to discuss the design.  Thank you all for your input.   Xxx
  • Love the idea and I think it will be a very cool conversation starter for your guests. I'd definitely think it was great if I was at the wedding! Can't wait to see the final pictures!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    edited October 2016
    Here is a video of the cake if anyone is interested to see how it turned out....

http://dlsoundandvideo.com/cake-projection-mapping/2016/8/30/wedding-cake-projection-mapping
  • Here is a video of the cake if anyone is interested to see how it turned out....

http://dlsoundandvideo.com/cake-projection-mapping/2016/8/30/wedding-cake-projection-mapping

That came out really cool!  Are you glad you made did it?  What did the guests think?
  • They did so many great effects! I think the waterfall might have been my favorite.
  • That looks pretty cool!

Were you happy you went with it in the end?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards