Snarky Brides

Traffic Proposal

As a Houstonian, this made my eyes roll so hard.

A guy stops traffic in the middle of a busy highway as you're entering downtown Houston to propose on the the side of the road.  REALLY?  It was Sunday afternoon, so traffic wasn't as bad as it would've been during the week, but still ... if I was in the cars behind them, I would've been annoyed.

http://abcnews.go.com/topics/lifestyle/marriage-proposal.htm

And here's the funny thing ... he's been charged with a misdemeanor for it.  http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Couple-who-blocked-traffic-with-marriage-proposal-6700521.php?jhguyg

Re: Traffic Proposal

• When I read that yesterday, I instantly thought that he had to have told her to either say yes or he drives off without her before he stopped traffic. Or maybe for some reason she really really wanted to be proposed in the middle of a highway /s.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Houston traffic SUCKS.  I don't care if it was a Sunday, WTF were they thinking?

Glad he got a misdemeanor. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • What a jerk! Also, a view of the skyline and the location he picked has an awful view...... Oh well. Glad he got in trouble for it and I hope their marriage is a happy one. 
  • justsie said:
    What a jerk! Also, a view of the skyline and the location he picked has an awful view...... Oh well. Glad he got in trouble for it and I hope their marriage is a happy one. 
    YES!!   That was one of my first thoughts.  I-10 inbound from the west has a better view of the skyline (not that he should've proposed there).  There are other rooftop bars just outside of Houston that have good views.  The spot he chose was poor. 
  • banana468 said:
    He sounds like an asshat.   "I wasn't thinking about traffic.   I was thinking about my girlfriend."

WTF?   Why can't you think of both?    Was her safety never a concern??

Idiot. 
    I'm guessing he is not much of a multi-tasker.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • banana468 said:
    He sounds like an asshat.   "I wasn't thinking about traffic.   I was thinking about my girlfriend."

WTF?   Why can't you think of both?    Was her safety never a concern??

Idiot. 
    SERIOUSLY!!! There were cars passing by on the left shoulder. One could have easily clipped her. What would he have done then???
    My H makes sure he's on the outside of the sidewalk, he's constantly assessing my safety factor! That guy is such a douche.

• I heard he was blocking an ambulance on its way to the hospital with an emergency c section patient. Glad he's being charged.
  • That wouldn't have flown in Chicago. Traffic would not have stopped. Someone probably would have gotten shot, actually, if not side-swiped or hit. 

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Who wants the over-under on how long it takes for that bride to come on TK and showcase speschul snoflake behavior?

Remember that poor guy a few years ago who was killed on one of the highways while helping a family of ducks across? If I remember correctly, he was a wildlife or something guy so he was supposed to be doing that, but I still thought it was a terrible idea for him to be doing that.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • That wouldn't have flown in Chicago. Traffic would not have stopped. Someone probably would have gotten shot, actually, if not side-swiped or hit. 

Who wants the over-under on how long it takes for that bride to come on TK and showcase speschul snoflake behavior?

Remember that poor guy a few years ago who was killed on one of the highways while helping a family of ducks across? If I remember correctly, he was a wildlife or something guy so he was supposed to be doing that, but I still thought it was a terrible idea for him to be doing that.
    Yup. Unfortunately it seems people get hit all the time- changing a flat tire, getting a speeding ticket, helping out someone else with car trouble... Seriously, a traffic stop proposal just would go really wrong here. 

• I read on another site that he had just gotten a divorce like 6 months prior to the proposal. I wish I could remember the site now....
  • He's a fucking moron and I'm glad he's being charged.  I hope they charge his friends too. 

• Did you see her response?  

"Honestly, I didn't think about if it was a good idea or a bad idea," Wycoff, 23, said on Monday. "I was just so happy in the moment. I love him so much."

Clearly they're both winners. 

Yup. Unfortunately it seems people get hit all the time- changing a flat tire, getting a speeding ticket, helping out someone else with car trouble... Seriously, a traffic stop proposal just would go really wrong here. 
    I don't know about that! Plenty of wedding pictures are taken making it necessary to stop traffic in Chicago!

I don't know about that! Plenty of wedding pictures are taken making it necessary to stop traffic in Chicago!
    You can't be serious.  Chicago drivers don't stop for pedestrians with the right-of-way in a crosswalk, they're CERTAINLY not going to be stopping for assholes who need to take a picture in the middle of the fucking street.  It doesn't matter if one of them is wearing a wedding dress, not going to happen.
  • adk19 said:

That wouldn't have flown in Chicago. Traffic would not have stopped. Someone probably would have gotten shot, actually, if not side-swiped or hit. 

You can't be serious.  Chicago drivers don't stop for pedestrians with the right-of-way in a crosswalk, they're CERTAINLY not going to be stopping for assholes who need to take a picture in the middle of the fucking street.  It doesn't matter if one of them is wearing a wedding dress, not going to happen.

Maybe you mean the photos that are in medians, not driving lanes. Michigan Ave, for example. LaSalle Street in front of the board of trade on a weekend isn't terrible, but I did see a couple get seriously honked at and yelled at when they tried that iconic photo during rush hour.

• As a Houstonian, this made my eyes roll so hard.

A guy stops traffic in the middle of a busy highway as you're entering downtown Houston to propose on the the side of the road.  REALLY?  It was Sunday afternoon, so traffic wasn't as bad as it would've been during the week, but still ... if I was in the cars behind them, I would've been annoyed.

http://abcnews.go.com/topics/lifestyle/marriage-proposal.htm

And here's the funny thing ... he's been charged with a misdemeanor for it.  http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Couple-who-blocked-traffic-with-marriage-proposal-6700521.php?jhguyg
    As a fellow Houstonian, I totally agree with you. I've lived here for 5.5 years, and the drivers here are awful - they're lucky that nobody hit/killed them  and that they didn't cause an accident. 

People are bad enough drivers down here when it's 80-something and sunny - throw anything more complex into the situation (weather, construction, obstacle) and you have a recipe for disaster. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards