Snarky Brides

Barns: A PSA

I worked a wedding show today.  I would guess 8/10 brides we saw plan on getting married in a barn.  Burlap and lace are here to stay.  Until 2-3 years from now when all of the people who renovated barns to rent out for event space go bankrupt when the trend dies.  But I'm afraid that won't be in 2016 and 2017 my friends.

Re: Barns: A PSA

• NOOOOOOOOOOO. Thank God I'm almost at the finish line and won't have to wade through any more burlap-infused "rustic chic" wedding inspiration anymore. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm actually really curious where the trend came from to begin with. 
    I was born and raised on the fringe of the suburbs/country where barns are either full of cows or full of horses and most are from the early 1900s and barely standing. It would never, ever occur to me that one of those structures could be wedding appropriate. Weddings occurred in a church with a reception at a banquet hall or country club. That was it. If you wanted outdoors you went to a public park. 

Is Pinterest solely to blame? Who got married in a barn before cute country-chic pictures were published on Pinterest?

• I'm actually really curious where the trend came from to begin with. 
    I was born and raised on the fringe of the suburbs/country where barns are either full of cows or full of horses and most are from the early 1900s and barely standing. It would never, ever occur to me that one of those structures could be wedding appropriate. Weddings occurred in a church with a reception at a banquet hall or country club. That was it. If you wanted outdoors you went to a public park. 

Is Pinterest solely to blame? Who got married in a barn before cute country-chic pictures were published on Pinterest?
    I blame Taylor Swift.  All of the pinterest photos look like they could be still shots from her music videos.  Well, I've never actually watched one of her music videos but they look like what I envision her videos to look like.

• @julieanne912 You're down south right?  I feel like having a southern barn wedding is the equivalent to having a wedding at a historical car plant here, ya know?  Not trendy, but probably the most popular, non-traditional venue.

I live in Metro Detroit.  Yes, there are real farms all over the state, but there aren't barns in Detroit!  People in the outskirt suburbs are literally building barns just for weddings.  
  • I will say, outside of the wedding planning world, people seemed to be really impressed by our "cool venue".  I think around here, we're all into weddings, so we see the trends.  But your average person (especially older ones who don't attend a lot of weddings) have no idea.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Ha, that's funny.  My best friend is an event planner and couldn't believe the barn thing was still in.  I said that's because you're in the business so you've been doing it for 4 years. To everyone else they probably haven't attended one in a barn yet!
  • Ha, that's funny.  My best friend is an event planner and couldn't believe the barn thing was still in.  I said that's because you're in the business so you've been doing it for 4 years. To everyone else they probably haven't attended one in a barn yet!
    A friend of ours' GF is from Michigan.  Our wedding was the first one she'd been to that WASN'T in a church/event hall.  Ours was also the first one that had the ceremony outside LOL!  Whereas he's from Utah and our type of wedding was the only type he had ever been to before he met her.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Honestly, I dig anything that's non-traditional. I didn't want a country club or banquet hall either, and then we ended up in a restaurant with amazing city views, so there's that. I had looked at wineries and parks/gardens and museums. There's even a venue in Chicago that is like... an antique shop? Kind of? (Salvage One for people who want to get married among junk?
    Something for everyone, right?) A friend of mine got married at an old Southern Plantation which I thought was so cool (she was on the front end of vintage chic trend). I like the concept of a barn so long as it's not one just vacated by cows; just, like I said, no idea who first thought of that.

I laughed at this national paper article about non-traditional wedding venues. It suggested your local library or museum as a way to save money. Um, those are among the most expensive venues in Chicago...  

• julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Honestly, I dig anything that's non-traditional. I didn't want a country club or banquet hall either, and then we ended up in a restaurant with amazing city views, so there's that. I had looked at wineries and parks/gardens and museums. There's even a venue in Chicago that is like... an antique shop? Kind of? (Salvage One for people who want to get married among junk?
    Something for everyone, right?) A friend of mine got married at an old Southern Plantation which I thought was so cool (she was on the front end of vintage chic trend). I like the concept of a barn so long as it's not one just vacated by cows; just, like I said, no idea who first thought of that.

I laughed at this national paper article about non-traditional wedding venues. It suggested your local library or museum as a way to save money. Um, those are among the most expensive venues in Chicago...  
    Oh man, when I lived in Chicago I always thought it would be so cool to get married at Architectural Artifacts.  I used to go in there and wander around for about an hour or two and imagine my wedding there LOL!  http://www.artifacteventschicago.com/ 

I think I looked it up once and it would be like 15 grand.  

And yeah, the cheapest options around here are the traditional "wedding factory" type venues.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Honestly, I dig anything that's non-traditional. I didn't want a country club or banquet hall either, and then we ended up in a restaurant with amazing city views, so there's that. I had looked at wineries and parks/gardens and museums. There's even a venue in Chicago that is like... an antique shop? Kind of? (Salvage One for people who want to get married among junk?

I've been to a wedding reception at Salvage One. During cocktail hour we were down in the junk store area, and people could play on the antique pool/air hockey/skeeball tables. Then we went upstairs where there were just normal tables (of varying sizes). And later, dancing. And still later, pizza. It was pretty cool, IMO.

My son and his wife had some of their engagement pictures taken at Salvage One.  It does not sell "junk".

• No barns for me. I don't want to get a tick and possibly get infected with Lyme's disease.
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    I'm also sick of seeing burlap and lace within a barn. Mostly because I think it's an ugly combo, overused and not any better than the mismatching colors or (Colors that match too much) that are used in banquet halls. But I love a barn when it's in contrast of the decorations/theme. Like a barn vs. a more traditional/romantic theme. For example, when there are a lot of greens and romantic colored flowers, like coral and pastels, with plenty of succulents (A trend I actually love), with gold accents. Especially when the couple puts personal touches in the wedding. Plus, as a Queens kid, farms fascinate me. I wish I owned a barn :P 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think some of the barn hate comes from brides who see pictures like PGL's and then try to recreate that look in an actual barn that's still used as a barn.  I've seen it happen in my area... "budget" brides trying to save money at the expense of their guests' comfort.  But that's not solely limited to barn weddings.... 
    Married 9.12.15
  • @julieanne912 You're down south right?  I feel like having a southern barn wedding is the equivalent to having a wedding at a historical car plant here, ya know?  Not trendy, but probably the most popular, non-traditional venue.

I live in Metro Detroit.  Yes, there are real farms all over the state, but there aren't barns in Detroit!  People in the outskirt suburbs are literally building barns just for weddings.  
    SITB!!  Sorry just saw this.  Not in the south, live in Colorado in the far far north reaches of Denver (like barely considered metro Denver).  Our town has more pickup trucks than cars.  Wedding was in Longmont, CO which is north of us.      
    Married 9.12.15
  • MobKaz said:
    Honestly, I dig anything that's non-traditional. I didn't want a country club or banquet hall either, and then we ended up in a restaurant with amazing city views, so there's that. I had looked at wineries and parks/gardens and museums. There's even a venue in Chicago that is like... an antique shop? Kind of? (Salvage One for people who want to get married among junk?

My son and his wife had some of their engagement pictures taken at Salvage One.  It does not sell "junk".

That's fun! I wasn't being snarky about "junk / something for everyone." My mom wanted me to look there actually but it was too expensive. I used the term junk because I was of the impression it was a place for "one man's trash is another's treasure" and they sold refurbished stuff. I have seen pictures online of engagement photos taken there and I think they're great. Just not what we chose to do, is all. No negativity, just pointing out the very wide variety of interesting options. 

Someone else just mentioned warehouse weddings; my friend got married in the warehouse of a brewery. It was a great atmosphere, if not a little rough on the acoustics for speeches and loud dance music. 

• DarthV8r said:
    No barns for me. I don't want to get a tick and possibly get infected with Lyme's disease.
    ??? What? Most of these barns aren't actual working barns, just clean venues. Also ticks live in the woods and in grassy areas not in barns.
    ???What? Ticks live in barns with horses.  
  • I don't hate barn weddings per say, I think they can be done beautifully as well.  My sisters good friend had a beautiful DIY barn wedding.  I just think they're overdone.  But then again, I work probably 10-15 weddings a year so I see the rustic trend monthly.  It's also all I see in the bridal anything it seems.  I'm ready for a new thing to be cool.

And I don't understand what it is about that theme that has so many city brides clamoring for event spaces, that people are literally building barns just for weddings.

I really wanted a warehouse for our wedding!  I sell industrial equipment so I'm in at least 10 plants a week, and Detroit has 2 really cool historical car plants that are now event spaces that I would have loved to use, but FI didn't love them as much as I did.

• Same gripe, different day.
  • DarthV8r said:

DarthV8r said:

No barns for me. I don't want to get a tick and possibly get infected with Lyme's disease.

??? What? Most of these barns aren't actual working barns, just clean venues. Also ticks live in the woods and in grassy areas not in barns.

Most barn venues don't actually have HORSES in them, are you kidding me?
  • Heffalump said:
    DarthV8r said:
    Most barn venues don't actually have HORSES in them, are you kidding me?
    Seriously.  My daughter rides, and that is definitely a working barn, not an event venue.  I mean...horses shit in there.  Nothing against them, that's how they roll.  But it's not like they put the horses out to pasture, shovel the manure out, and set up some tables. 

Horses = ticks

Horses =/= event venue (that I've ever seen, or would actually attend)
    Based on some of the stuff I've seen here I'm sure we have that newb post coming!
  • Let me clarify, I'm not hating on barn weddings. Barn venues and the one pictured above are beautiful and I would attend  any wedding I was invited to at a barn. Yes, I agree barn venues are beautiful. 

There are a few Barn Venues in my area that actually are  working barns.   So for me, I would not  have my wedding there, or at a couple of the state parks in my area either, because I hate port-a-pottys, ticks,  snakes, coyote poop, etc. 

• I don't hate barn weddings as well, but I'm so sick and tired of opening up a magazine, Pinterest, a wedding website, etc and only being showed barn/rustic options.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I very much dislike barn weddings and "rustic chic". Not because it's trendy. I despise it because I generally hate outside, country inspired things and nature (90% due to horrible horrible, suffering all year allergies). People always tell me I live in the wrong place - northern rural Canada with the closest city being six hours away. If I was invited to a barn wedding, I would most likely decline (unless BFF or sister) because I would be miserable and unable to breathe. Nothing says a fun night like red, gushing eyes and snot. Lots of snot (and no, pills don't really make a difference).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards