Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Farm food ideas?

Hi all!

Getting married October 1, 2016 at a local farm in Colorado. 
We're very lucky in that the best man's mother (who is a 2nd mother to my fiance') is catering our wedding. She's asked us for 2-3 dish ideas for food, and I'm kind of at a loss. 
Since we're at a farm, the only thing I can think of is maybe some herbed chicken and root vegetables (maybe some goat cheese or something in there somewhere...)(see!---I'm so bad at this haha).

Anyone have any ideas for food that would be good for a farm? Our centerpieces are going to be 1/4 peck baskets of apples/cherries...and we'll probably serve local apple cider. 

Any suggestions are so appreciated!!
-Jackie

Re: Farm food ideas?

• What kind of farm are you getting married at?

Colorada has buffalo, lamb, beef, pork and chicken farms.    So any of those.  Colorado trout would be good too.

I worked a wedding at a farm (in Colorado).   They raised pork and highland cattle.  The couple gave DH (chef) one of their pigs to roast in pitmaker  and they had a pig roast.  It was buffet style/action stations.    They also had some trout, pasta station and various salads with local ingredients.       

In addition to cake, they had peach cobbler from local peach orchards.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • If you want to work in that goat cheese, you could make a vegetarian entree by layering roasted vegetable slices with the cheese in a tower.  If everything is well cooked and fresh, this is one of my favorite wedding meals!  Another option could be root vegetables with goat cheese on flatbreads.
  • When I think of farm food, I think of lots and lots of vegetables! 

How about a roasted beet & butternut squash salad with rosemary? 
  • RlovesR said:
    If you want to work in that goat cheese, you could make a vegetarian entree by layering roasted vegetable slices with the cheese in a tower.  If everything is well cooked and fresh, this is one of my favorite wedding meals!  Another option could be root vegetables with goat cheese on flatbreads.
    That sounds delicious!!
  • NOMS. I vote for herb crusted chicken with roasted veggies, some local fish like trout, the squash soup, arugula walnut cranberry goat cheese salad.  

• A 'local food' conference I once attended served goat cheesecake - as in goat cheese cheesecake - and it was TO DIE FOR. Something like that could work if you were doing several desserts as opposed to just cake. I love savoury goat cheese tarts (maybe with mushrooms, maybe asparagus though that's out of season) as well!
  • You all are amazing! 
    Giving me some great ideas! Thank you!! I love food so I'm not sure why this is so hard to think of for me, lol.
  • edited January 2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards