Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Maid of honor

Before my fiancé and I officially got engaged I asked a friend (who I thought to be a close friend at the time) to be my maid of honor as well as have her son be our ring bearer after a few drinks. I have realized that I have been a better friend to her than she has to me and it's not really a relationship I want to put energy into anymore. She is negative and somewhat toxic for my life. Now that I am officially engaged and making plans I don't really want her to be in the wedding... Help! Is it wrong for me to ask someone else now when I know it will hurt her feelings?

Re: Maid of honor

• Options
    Talk about putting the cart before the horse...

You say you don't want to put energy into this "toxic" relationship, yet you're worried about hurting her feelings? Which is it?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Before my fiancé and I officially got engaged I asked a friend (who I thought to be a close friend at the time) to be my maid of honor as well as have her son be our ring bearer after a few drinks. I have realized that I have been a better friend to her than she has to me and it's not really a relationship I want to put energy into anymore. She is negative and somewhat toxic for my life. Now that I am officially engaged and making plans I don't really want her to be in the wedding... Help! Is it wrong for me to ask someone else now when I know it will hurt her feelings?
    Yes, it is wrong.

You can always have more than one maid of honor.  However, if you somehow remove this woman and her son from your wedding party, you are essentially ending the relationship.  
  • Options
    Just tell her that her and your relationship with her is negative and toxic for your life.  I would bet you a billion dollars that she will do your dirty work and remove herself from not only your wedding but your life.  

• Options
    It would be a friendship ending move, but if that's what you're going for (which is fine), I would stop engaging with her as a friend and the rest will follow. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards