Moms and Maids
Options

My mom and sister...

Today I realized that my mom and sister (also my MOH) are the best ever.
My FI and I had originally planned to fund the entire wedding ourselves, we've had a three year engagement in order to accomplish this. Anyway, the wedding is now nine months away and my mom and I took a week of vacation together to get some planning finalized, do mother daughter/ sister stuff, dress shopping for everyone, just wedding fun in general. I really just anticipated that I would run some color schemes by them, get some opinions and input on my ideas etc, etc. Nope not my mom and sister, obviously they are way too amazing for that to be all. For the past three days my sister has been texting me non-stop, price matching candy and centerpieces. My mom has e-mailed countless caterers, and Dj's, trying to see if she could get better deals so we could compare them to find me the most affordable, and then totally surprised me, by paying for the entire candy buffet today, something I didn't ask her to do at all.
I knew they would be supportive, because my family is amazing but GEEZ. They are just going way above and beyond.
I obviously thanked them profusely, but now I definitely need to find some way to repay them for all their help. Maybe a fun pedicure day or something.
I just had to brag about them for a second, sorry for the long post with absolutely zero point to it.

Re: My mom and sister...

• Options
    Yay! They sound amazing!

And it's nice to have a super positive post up here every now and again. ^_^
  • Options
    Spa Day.  You can't go wrong with Spa day.

• Options
    MobKaz said:
    Today I realized that my mom and sister (also my MOH) are the best ever.
    My FI and I had originally planned to fund the entire wedding ourselves, we've had a three year engagement in order to accomplish this. Anyway, the wedding is now nine months away and my mom and I took a week of vacation together to get some planning finalized, do mother daughter/ sister stuff, dress shopping for everyone, just wedding fun in general. I really just anticipated that I would run some color schemes by them, get some opinions and input on my ideas etc, etc. Nope not my mom and sister, obviously they are way too amazing for that to be all. For the past three days my sister has been texting me non-stop, price matching candy and centerpieces. My mom has e-mailed countless caterers, and Dj's, trying to see if she could get better deals so we could compare them to find me the most affordable, and then totally surprised me, by paying for the entire candy buffet today, something I didn't ask her to do at all.
    I knew they would be supportive, because my family is amazing but GEEZ. They are just going way above and beyond.
    I obviously thanked them profusely, but now I definitely need to find some way to repay them for all their help. Maybe a fun pedicure day or something.
    I just had to brag about them for a second, sorry for the long post with absolutely zero point to it.
    It is really thoughtful that you want to try and repay them.  As a mom, however, I want to share a few thoughts.

We gifted our kids their weddings.  It was our GIFT.  Both kids had saved money and planned weddings based on their personal budgets.  Like you, they never waited for, or expected us to make any contribution.  Your heart is in the right place.  Our reasoning for gifting them, however, was so that they could use their hard earned money for other things.  The last thing I would want my kids to do is to take some of that "freed up" money and then spend it on us. 

What they did do was write incredibly heartfelt notes to us.  They both created wedding albums after the wedding for us to have as a keepsake.  My daughter offered to spend a day with me helping me find a dress for her wedding (If you knew how much I hated shopping, and dresses, you would know how much above and beyond the call of duty this offer was.) 

I'm sure both your mom and sister know how much you appreciate their efforts.  My guess is that you have done the same for them in the past.  Look for some spontaneous moments when you can show your appreciation.  Consider making a girls lunch or dinner just for fun. Don't focus on "repayment".
    Pretend I said everything MobKaz said. I'm a MOB and we rolled exactly the same way. That handwritten note is seriously precious - like grab it on the way out of the house because there is a fire precious. How nice to have such a positive post!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone :) I like the idea of a handwritten note and photo album, maybe I should start taking pictures during the planning process of all of our activities so I can include those in there as well.

And yes, I am all about positive thinking. The way I see it, the only person who is more invested in my life and my marriage than my Fiance and I is probably my mom, which makes me happy, it's nice to know that I have their support, it makes the whole process a huge bonding experience for us all.
  • Options
    No need to apologize! It's refreshing to see such a happy and positive post. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards