Wedding Reception Forum

Centerpieces?

Do people really pay attention to your centerpieces? I definitely want to do something nice but I feel that money is better spent on something else....are centerpieces on your priority list?

Re: Centerpieces?

• I notice when centerpieces are exceptional/out of the ordinary. For the better or worse. (Usually because they're tall & in the way of conversation, which is a pet peeve). 95% of the time, I don't notice at all. 
  • I don't have a lot of wedding experience, but centerpieces are not high on my priority list. I'd rather keep them simple and budget money elsewhere (hello food and drinks!)
  • I made simple centrepieces for my wedding.  We had a beach theme so it was just pretty shaped (empty) wine bottles filled with a little beach sand, a few small shells and a rolled up piece of paper to look like a message in a bottle, with a ribbon and scrapbooking starfish tied around the neck of the bottle.  My brother also did DIY centrepieces for his wedding.  They used cut tree branches that were slightly hollowed out to hold tea-light candles and small flower decorations.  I find simple decor is always more eye catching.
  • We're using the centerpieces that our venue is throwing in for free- floating candles and votive candles on top of a round mirror. Agree with PP that I would rather spend the money on food and drink. At my parents' wedding the centerpieces were bottles of champagne on ice. (Two birds, one stone, I guess!)
  • Expensive, fancy centerpieces vs Better food and drinks?  

Better food and drinks win, every time.  Your guests won't remember what the centerpiece looked like.  They will remember that they were well fed and hosted. 

• I think people will notice the centerpieces if they think they're pretty, but they won't necessarily remember them unless they're really unusual. As others have said, don't prioritize decor over good food and drinks/hosting your guests well. 

My florist did our centerpieces and they were really beautiful. But it wasn't a detail I lost a lot of sleep over. I knew the flowers were in good hands, so I focused on things like the menu, music, etc. that had more to do with our guests having a good time.
  • I notice centerpieces, but that's only because I love parties and weddings.  They don't have to be expensive to be cool, though, and if it's not in the budget they aren't a necessity.  I went to a wedding with water beads (they're pretty cheap, and you can get glass vases at dollar tree), mine had lanterns (my dad collects them, so we borrowed all his and bought 1 or 2 to supplement), and a really personal, affordable one I saw was mason jars with origami flowers.  The bride and groom hand-made hundreds of origami flowers in the days leading up to their wedding, and guests were welcome to take them home as a memento if they wished.  I thought that was really cool, but I know the couple enjoyed making them, and it's definitely not a project most people would have time for right before their wedding.  Is there something you collect, that you already have, that could become a centerpiece?  ie, seashells, funky candle holders, etc.  Or find glass containers at a dollar store/thrift store, fill them with candy, and guests can snack on it throughout the reception.  I also took advantage of every after-holiday sale and craft store coupon to slowly amass all the candles and decor I wanted.  
  • I notice centerpieces when I go to weddings (along with all other decor) because I was in the floral business for 8 years so noticing the decor and flowers is just second nature at this point.  I will even sit there and think about how I would have arranged the flowers differently.  It certainly isn't in a "ugh this is horrible" way, but more of a "this is nice but I would have done X and Y differently."  Not something I can really control just more my design instincts coming out.

But I will say that even though I notice the decor and flowers/centerpieces at weddings I typically completely forget what everything looked like the next day.  This stuff isn't the stuff that I remember from weddings.  What I remember is the food (primarily if it was really gross or really good) and if I had a good/crappy time.

• I notice CP more when they are so big I can't see the other side of the table or they take up too much room on the table.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited January 2016
    I've only really paid attention to centerpieces when they were large and obstructed my view. I have no memory of what the centerpieces looked like at the last few weddings I've attended. 

Personally, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on centerpieces and preferred to put that money towards food and drinks. So, I made my own out of wine bottles and corks and some branch/stick things. 
  • I notice, but I don't think this is an area to spend much money on if you're on a limited budget. 

Honestly, I'm head over heels for food centerpieces. At my wedding we did centerpieces with apples and greenery & they looked awesome. Depending on what time of year you're getting married, you could check out seasonal options, i.e., fall = basket of apples, winter = oranges, summer = fresh herbs or lemons, etc. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I notice CP more when they are so big I can't see the other side of the table or they take up too much room on the table.
    This.

• Food is taken care of and it will be amazing. I wouldn't be giving up anything in lieu of having amazing centerpieces. We have 3 food options and are having top shelf open bar. I wouldn't say flowers/centerpieces are in a limited budget. I just don't feel that spending a significant amount is money well spent but I don't want them to be lackluster if people really pay attention. I want everything to be balanced in a way.
  • alhaley88 said:
    Food is taken care of and it will be amazing. I wouldn't be giving up anything in lieu of having amazing centerpieces. We have 3 food options and are having top shelf open bar. I wouldn't say flowers/centerpieces are in a limited budget. I just don't feel that spending a significant amount is money well spent but I don't want them to be lackluster if people really pay attention. I want everything to be balanced in a way.
    I will echo  @Maggie0829.  I will take notice immediately after being seated.  Depending on who is at the table with me, I may even use the centerpieces to start a conversation.  Often, however, my attention to it will wane long before the next day.  As more guests filter in, and as the dinner and reception head into full swing, my interest and attention switch over to the people.
  • I honestly don't think I could tell you anything about the centrepieces from a single wedding I've been to (which is a lot). I doubt my guests will remember mine either, I'm okay with that and we won't be spending $$$ on them either. We're having miniature wooden planters that my dad will make for us - he is a woodwork nut and he offered - and plant seasonal flowers/greenery in them. I like the idea that they can live on either in our garden/home or guests can take them.

• I honestly don't think I could tell you anything about the centrepieces from a single wedding I've been to (which is a lot). I doubt my guests will remember mine either, I'm okay with that and we won't be spending $$$ on them either. We're having miniature wooden planters that my dad will make for us - he is a woodwork nut and he offered - and plant seasonal flowers/greenery in them. I like the idea that they can live on either in our garden/home or guests can take them.
    I love what you have planned, but a word of caution--I used to work at a garden center, and live plants are tricky.  You'll have the best success with plants that are just leafy (no flowers) or annuals.  Perennials may not bloom in time or bloom too soon, and then they're gone, whereas most annuals are continuous bloomers, as long as you keep fertilizing and dead-heading!  Also wouldn't recommend anything like a daisy as a centerpiece, as you may end up with pollen everywhere.  
  • edited January 2016
    missfrodo said:

I honestly don't think I could tell you anything about the centrepieces from a single wedding I've been to (which is a lot). I doubt my guests will remember mine either, I'm okay with that and we won't be spending $$$ on them either. We're having miniature wooden planters that my dad will make for us - he is a woodwork nut and he offered - and plant seasonal flowers/greenery in them. I like the idea that they can live on either in our garden/home or guests can take them.

I love what you have planned, but a word of caution--I used to work at a garden center, and live plants are tricky.  You'll have the best success with plants that are just leafy (no flowers) or annuals.  Perennials may not bloom in time or bloom too soon, and then they're gone, whereas most annuals are continuous bloomers, as long as you keep fertilizing and dead-heading!  Also wouldn't recommend anything like a daisy as a centerpiece, as you may end up with pollen everywhere.  

-----------

Thanks @missfrodo That's great advice. I haven't given too much thought to the actual plants yet, my dad is pretty green fingered so I thought I'd let him guide us. I had considered succulents maybe as I have some in the house and so far I haven't killed them, so that's a good sign! Good shout on the pollen as actually that wouldn't have occurred to me, I'll give this more thought.

Out of curiousity would there be anything you would recommend specifically?

Eta: boxes!

• @glasgowtolondon, I think succulents are a great idea!  We were thinking of that but didn't really have enough light in our home at the time to keep them all happy for the 2 or so weeks we had live plants before the wedding.  We found a greenhouse that sold tiny "tropical mix" houseplants, like ferns, coffee plants, and other medium to low-light plants, and we put them in individual pots.  At the end of the night, we told our guests they were welcome to take them home, and they all disappeared!  I think if you like succulents, and you can keep them alive until the wedding, they're great.  Greenhouses can often order a whole tray of those in bulk, mixed, and if you buy a whole thing of them they may be willing to give you a discount.  Also depends on the time of year you get married as to what your local place can get in.  Find your local greenhouses, if you haven't yet, and take a look around (you may have to wait till spring) and see what you like.  Honestly, live flowers are more of a risk, both because you don't know how many flowers they'll have on them at the time, and also they're more likely to trigger guests' allergies as there's no way to remove the pollen like in a cut flower arrangement.  And I just realized if you're in the UK, you'll have different varieties than I do in the US.  Definitely find a nice garden center or greenhouse!
  • edited January 2016

I was unable to attach my image to my previous comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards