Chit Chat
Options

Gettin' real sexy this Valentine's Day

Today I decided to plan a secret romantic weekend away for our last Valentine's Day before our wedding (at the hotel where we're getting married) because I realized Valentine's Day is only a month away and it's not cool to not do anything for him. I'd definitely better get some good chocolates though.

What's your plan for Valentine's Day?

Re: Gettin' real sexy this Valentine's Day

• Options
    Nada. We say no gifts, but I'll get him a little box of candy and a card and he'll probably get me a card. We usually eat out of the weekends anyways, so we might pick a "nicer" place that weekend and justify it with Valentines Day.
  • Options
    Nada.  DH cooks dinner for other people.   I sit at home watching cheesy movies.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We will be on the road.  We are going on vacation to South Carolina, so we will be driving.  I typically get up early and make a special breakfast for H, even if its during the week and we have work.  We don't usually do gifts, but we do exchange cards. H usually will get me flowers, but probably not this year since we will be driving.
  • Options
    We're in the camp of no gifts either.  We'll exchange cards, and DH will probably get me flowers.  But no going out to eat - too overpriced and crowded.  We will probably go out the weekend before or after though.
  • Options
    Our anniversary is 2 weeks before Valentine's Day, so we celebrate then.
  • Options
    FI makes me dinner that night.  Usually it is spaghetti (aka boiled noodles and heated sauce), but I love how hard he tries!
  • Options
    FI's birthday is the week after, so I usually save any good gifts for then (plus, this year we have a formal ball the weekend after, too, so the romantic in me will be satisfied). We'll probably make a nice breakfast (strawberry & nutella crepes or something like that), and maybe to play glow-in-the-dark put-put golf. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    FI's birthday is the week before so we usually do something bigger for that. For Valentine's day we stay in, he makes my favorite dinner, and we might watch a movie if we can find anything good.

• Options
    WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Probably Peanut M&M's.  

We tend to celebrate on Feb 13th, since when we first met/started dating, that was our 1 month.  And since it was so early on, we didn't really want the 'pressure' of Valentines Day, so we did dinner and ice skating for a one month instead.  It's kinda stuck.  This will be our 6.1 anniversary (since today is 6 years since we met and started dating.  Whoop!!)

• Options
    Working late. Tax season.
  • Options
    We're heading to the mountains with the kids.  It's V-day, but it's also Presidents Day weekend, so DD and DH both have that Monday off and we're taking a long weekend.  There's a hot tub, though, so once the kids are in bed, brown chicken brown cow.
  • Options
    FI and I always say we aren't going to get each other anything for VDay but he always ends up getting me flowers and a little chocolate heart, I always get him a card and some chocolates.. And we usually go out to eat. The place we like to go to lets you call ahead on holidays and say what time you will be there and they put you on a wait list and hold a table for you at that time. We got there at 8pm last year and it was a 2 1/2 hour wait if you didn't have a reservation!
  • Options
    Um, watch The Walking Dead.  H and I will have just come back from Vegas so I see us catching up on some sleep and dealing with a week long hangover.  

• Options
    kvruns said:
    I think Qdoba does a BOGO deal on Vday if you kiss or something so probably that haha.
    I am going to have to look into this!

• Options
    Shit, valentine's day is coming up??

Uh...

• Options
    Last year we covered the ugly wallpaper on the kitchen soffit. We've ordered faux backslash tiles so maybe that's what we will do this year! Although, I think it's a Saturday, so he is probably working anyway.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Our gifts are small.  Tshirt and candy type of thing....I wish we could do something though, since I have that Monday off but his schedule is so chaotic, we never know when he works!  His birthday is also 9 days before it and we do something special for that.

• Options
    We'll probably go out to dinner, as per usual. Last year, H planned this amazing weekend away for us. Not sure if I can afford to do something like that this year, but I will get something special. Probably a new wallet, since the dog chewed on the brand new Coach wallet this morning that I just got H for Christmas.
  • Options
    We exchange cards and DH makes me spaghetti for dinner. Then we might watch a romantic comedy if I can think of one I want to watch. Otherwise, a horror movie like we typically watch. We haven't exchanged gifts for a couple years for anything. We just save for the vacations we want to take.
  • Options
    We go out for dinner. No gifts. Usually a card. 
  • Options
    I'm not big into valentine's day, so we usually say we're doing nothing. But we also usually end up getting something small or gag-gifty. Last year, I got FI two matching hand towels from thinkgeek. One is the profile of Han Solo and the other is the profile of Leia and Leia's says I love you and Han's says I know (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1521/?itm=125854711005custom0home_%26_office%26custom1blankets_rugs_%26_towels%26id&rkgid=1842725815&cpg=ognone&source=google_none&adpos=1o1&creative=83745727125&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CJTutfnZqcoCFQwjHwodUjoOhg).

FI I think bought me cute underwear, but truthfully he does that whenever he gets an excuse. Which is nice, I guess, except it's basically the kind I already wear and sometimes I'm like, uhhh, do you think about other things?

This year I think he's working that night, so it won't matter. I was thinking of doing my fake-ish proposal that day because #romance, but now I'm thinking that I'm going to do it on the day of his board exams (like when he gets home afterwards). But that can only happen if the ring gets here in time.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    The most we'll do is cook a nicer than normal dinner at home and exchange cards. Going out somewhere on Valentine's Day is an absolute nightmare around here.

• Options
    labro said:
    The most we'll do is cook a nicer than normal dinner at home and exchange cards. Going out somewhere on Valentine's Day is an absolute nightmare around here.
    pretty much EVERYWHERE it's a nightmare.  DH HATES V-day with a passion.  He works, but not happily.   He is so jaded he doesn't recognize the day.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Last year we went to a hockey game (we have season tickets so it wasn't a special event or anything).

Year before, H was playing in a hockey tournament in Cheyenne, WY.  We drove up on V-day with the dogs and stayed at the Days Inn, all fancy like.  Our then-puppy puked all over the car when we got there so I spent an hour cleaning that up in the hotel parking lot.  He had a game that night, so after his game we went to Pizza Hut with the entire team.  

Not sure what our plans are this year, but it's not really a big deal for us, clearly.  

Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    I think Qdoba does a BOGO deal on Vday if you kiss or something so probably that haha.
    @maggie0829 last year it was packed, I mean you can get it even if you have a kid and just kiss the kid or a friend it doesn't matter. Hell I'd kiss a stranger for a free burrito
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    kvruns said:
    @maggie0829 last year it was packed, I mean you can get it even if you have a kid and just kiss the kid or a friend it doesn't matter. Hell I'd kiss a stranger for a free burrito
    Truth.

• Options
    This year we will be on our Honeymoon cruise! The boat leaves 2/13 so it'll be a day at sea. We might go to one of the fancier restaurants on board the ship or something, but there aren't a lot of options when you're boat bound. Of course we'll be in the Caribbean/on our way to the Caribbean so I won't be complaining. But I should probably plan ahead now something fun to bring him for the trip. A sweet card and a tiny gift maybe. 
  • Options
    Well, my birthday is on 2/13 so for Valentine's Day we watch movies and eat pizza.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards