Wedding Woes

Lurkers: may I have your attention please?

HeffalumpHeffalump member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited January 2016 in Wedding Woes
It has come to my attention that there may, in fact, be lurkers who are visiting but are uncertain of how to join the conversation without getting the NEY treatment (edited out link- against TOS).  Meanwhile, a lot of the regs here (what's left of us) have been lamenting how slow the board has gotten compared to the Good Old Days [TM].  So I am throwing up a Lurker Intro post.  Come forth and introduce yourselves.  If someone feels like creating a list of questions, have at it, but I'm kicking it off freestyle:

I'm Heffalump.  I'm 40.  [Cries.]  I have been on TK for 10+ years, since I was engaged and learned just how BSC my now-late MIL was.  My 10th anniversary is coming up this June, and we're talking about where to go.  (Suggestions?)  Mr. Heff and I have two lovely children, Woozle (a.k.a. Wooz a.k.a. DD), who is 6 and in first grade, and DS, who suffers from second-child syndrome because he doesn't have a cutesy nickname here, just DS.  (He is 2 and has curly strawberry blonde hair that strangers go crazy for.)  I work in marketing.

My first TK post was on Wedding Woes.  I posted about MIL's awful behavior, got my ass handed to me (mostly deservedly), learned a valuable lesson about password protecting one's guestbook (does TK even have a guestbook function anymore?), and stuck around. 

Next! 

Re: Lurkers: may I have your attention please?

• I'm *Barbie* - this was my name from day 1, but I had to take some time off with a different name (PirateBarbie, I think) when TK went wonky and wouldn't let you use special characters in user names for a few years. I've been on TK ~10-11 years. (I think I'll get my "!" badge in the summer.) I mostly post on Wedding Woes.  DK (Dear Ken) and I will celebrate our 10th anniversary in October - we're both 32, so we were young'uns when we got married. We have one kid (Wolverine - she's 5) and a menagerie of animals. My degree is in engineering, but I work in project management and procurement. 

I've met a bunch of the OG Wedding Woes ladies in person, and nobody has made me into a skinsuit (yet).

The one time that I really got my ass handed to me on here was when I complained about my MIL throwing me a "tooth fairy" themed baby shower rather than a "pirate theme" - completely ridiculous (as I really should have just been thankful that she was throwing me a party)  - but I was a moody and suffering from pregnancy brain, so I didn't really see how much of a brat I was being. 

I used to be the Poet Laureate of the WW board, but it seems that people have gotten away from using poems to explain every little thing to their guests. 
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    edited January 2016
    *Barbie* said:

The one time that I really got my ass handed to me on here was when I complained about my MIL throwing me a "tooth fairy" themed baby shower rather than a "pirate theme" - completely ridiculous (as I really should have just been thankful that she was throwing me a party)  - but I was a moody and suffering from pregnancy brain, so I didn't really see how much of a brat I was being.
    OMG, I forgot about that!  FWIW, I think if you ask someone what they want and then do something completely different (and random--babies don't even have teeth), you deserve to have people snark behind your back.  Welcome to earth. 

Off-topic, but did I ever ask if you're PMP certifed?  I'm thinking of going for my certification--I have the necessary experience, but I would need to take extra classes.  In my non-existent free time.  So I've been stalling, but one of my New Year's resolutions is to figure it out once and for all.

ETA:  I think the poem action is all on Pinterest now.

httpss-media-cache-ak0pinimgcom736x4e1eba4e1eba0cc961af866e1762716c2a5e48jpg
    httpss-media-cache-ak0pinimgcom236x19f3bb19f3bbb34fe073c5e2544d8a6e451b2djpghttpwwwdotcomwomencomwp-contentuploads201406no-seating-wedding-signjpg

• Well hello!

I'm TheFanciestBeckler. This super-creative nickname was born from a long running joke between my DH and I, and the fact that I am, indeed, the fanciest Beckler. DH loves neutrals and plaid and boring stuff, and then I joined the picture with my neon stuff and glitter and brightly colored lipstick and shook his whole life up. I'm 27 and DH and I have been married for 4 months. I work in the loan operations department at a regional bank. I live in the South, and after spending over half my life trying to convince people that I was a Yankee at heart, I finally decided to just embrace it and prove that Southern doesn't mean stupid or narrow-minded.

I have 2 dog children. No real children yet. One is a boxer mix named Rayna (the light brown one), and the other is a pitbull mix named Jackie (dark brown). I think they are pretty adorable, but I also may be biased. Judge for yourself:

• Oh I love this!

I first joined TK as beardownbchs and was also handed my ass. I didn't want to invite my H's aunt because she called me a bitch on facebook. We ended up not inviting any of MIL's family (not because of that) but I deserved that ass-handing.

My MIL is still a twat. I'm still on TK. The end.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited January 2016

Heffa, someone posted on your guestbook? Not cool.

I'll go.

I'm Nola. I've been posting for 11 years. I first found the Knot because I was a MOH in a friend's wedding and she wanted me to sign her guestbook. I was bored at work and found the Planning and Etiquette board and found my way to the Relationship board, and never left. I lurked for about two years before I started posting. I'm 42, and not married, but keeping hope alive. I like to travel and enjoy my free time, which is abundant. Working on that too.

I forgot that I used to be the chick that loved to post weird pictures that I came across on my online adventures. I haven't done that in years. Darn work!

• Hey y'all,

I am 27 and from the Nashville area. H and I got married in October. We have one furbaby who is driving us nutso right now. We have a fun meetcue in that we first met at ballroom dance class. It was fun for us, but to be honest, neither of us has a ton of rhythm.

• Varuna with myriad of permutations following the name like 77, TT, and some other stuffs as stalking went on throughout the years.  That hasn't happened in awhile.  

I joined The Knot back in 2005ish for a vowel renewal and migrated to WW around 2006.  The WW ladies scared me so I lurked for a long time before posting and then never left.  I had my ass handed to me one time about monies, but that's all I can really remember.  Married DH in 2003; unfortunately we are in the process of divorcing.  I'm about to turn 39 and am now living in a loft in the downtown area which is mostly kind of awesome and sometimes a little wearying.  My parents have taken custody of my furbabies, Zelda and Bennett, which breaks my heart, but I visit them as often as I can.
  • I guess I would be one of those lurkers?  I'm not much for a daily chatter on TK in general.  I just like to offer advice to people planning weddings.  I've been on TK for 5 years and don't really remember my first post, but I started commenting on E.  I mostly stuck to E back then because it was happening.  I've been venturing over here more frequently since TK removed WW from the "Special Topics" board and I see it listed in the Wedding Boards. 

But I'm OliveOilsMom.  I'm 34.  H & I will be married for 4 years in March.  We have no human kids yet (TTC for 1 and half years) and we have 2 fur kids.  Olive is a black lab and Betsey is a yellow lab we just rescued in early December. I work in the legal profession.

Have you been to Hawaii?  It's amazing!  My dream trip is to Bali and stay in an over the water bungalow!  We would also like to travel to Ireland and Italy.  We have been to Hawaii twice, once for our honeymoon and again last year as the last hurrah before the kiddies come.  Kauai is our favorite island, with Maui in second.  We did spend 3 nights on the Big Island, which was also awesome and we will spend a full week there, when we are finally able to return. 

• Can I also add how much I love this post? I've enjoyed stalking you guys and I'm happy to post here. I also think it's laughable that people on NEY are upset that other regs are posting on their non-reg posts.

All of this!!!!!!!!!!!

• Coming out of semi-lurkerdom:

I joined in October 2012, right around the time H (then BF) started talking about maybe getting married. I didn't start posting until a year later, once we actually got engaged. I've never gotten my ass handed to me, but also lurked for long enough to know the hot button issues and steered clear of those (mainly because I'm a big ol' scaredy cat that hates confrontation).

H and I are both turning 30 this year. No kids yet (or maybe ever - we haven't decided). We have a silky terrier named Fred Jackson who's pretty darn cute - he's the little guy in my avatar picture. I work in health insurance doing the world's most boring job. In my spare time, I'm trying to get back into running but mostly I sit on the couch and binge on obscene amounts of Say Yes to the Dress and Fixer Upper.
  • Hello! I'm a sporadic lurker, and get quite a lot of amusement from the Prudie posts.

I'm Bizzy, from Boston. I've been on TK for ~18 months, and FI and I are getting married in June. No kids or pets, but FI is quite hairy and spills a lot, so I think I get the gist? I work in higher ed, enjoy volunteering, and am a sucker for good food, bad tv, yoga pants (whenever I'm not at work), videos where animals of different species are friends, board games, and wine.

I've posted primarily on the etiquette board, with wedding-related concerns associated with my mother (she's diagnosed NPD and bipolar). Haven't had my ass handed to me (yet), but I also haven't become comfortable enough to comment without heavy editing/being rather guarded.

• Heffalump said:
    *Barbie* said:

OMG, I forgot about that!  FWIW, I think if you ask someone what they want and then do something completely different (and random--babies don't even have teeth), you deserve to have people snark behind your back.  Welcome to earth. 

Off-topic, but did I ever ask if you're PMP certifed?  I'm thinking of going for my certification--I have the necessary experience, but I would need to take extra classes.  In my non-existent free time.  So I've been stalling, but one of my New Year's resolutions is to figure it out once and for all.
    Honestly, it was a nice party (the ILs are excellent hosts), but pretty much everyone from "my side" was all kinds of "wtf...?" over the theme. (Not that they wouldn't have been with pirates, but MIL figured her old lady friends would be less pearl clutchy over fairies.) 

I'm not PMP certified. I started the APICS CPIM certification, but with all of the job/responsibilities changes over the last year, I didn't make any progress. I might not pick it up again. (No time.) I got my Six Sigma GBPL in 2012, which will translate well externally. I've gotten my boss to improve some internal leadership training that's going to provide good networking/development opportunities. I'd really like to stay with my current employer until I retire, so the external certifications (or an MBA) aren't as important. 
  • Hi!  I'm Miss Frodo.  I found TK before I was officially engaged (I was one of those crazy pre-planners), but thanks to lots of lurking you guys straightened me out!  Now, we've been married 2 years and have 2 rabbits, and will hopefully soon have a dog (yes, I know that's a crazy mix).  
    I spent a semester of college in New Zealand.  It's expensive as hell to fly there, but once you get there, prices are pretty comparable to what you'd find in the US, and there are lots of cheap transportation and hostel/motel options.  I think it is the greatest place on Earth, and if they'd let me, I'd immigrate there.  If you love hiking, fishing, skiing, beaches, and/or wine, you will be happy.  
  • Hi WW!

I'm. . . well you can see who I am, but you can call me PGL for short.  This handle comes from college from a note a hallmate left on my wipe off board on my dorm door.

I joined in 2012 when I was planning my wedding to my very long term BF/FI.  I thought the tone of the boards was pretty "interesting" and the phrases ppl came up with (douchecanoe, cuntwaffle) were fanfuckingtastic.  Oh, and the GIFs.  All the GIFs.  So I decided to participate on the forums.

I'm 35, I've been with my DH for about 15 years now.  I'm in research (molecular bio) and DH works in the nuclear industry.  We have 2 cats currently, and no plans for having kids; We love being Aunt and Uncle, though!

My hobbies are swearing, reading "Dear Prudence" (it's how I came to creep on you all), reading (love historical fiction, psychological thrillers/crime novels, fiction, scifi/fantasy) crafting, Netflix and Chilling (literally watching Netflix in my PJs, not hooking up as the kids refer to it), eating Brie and drinking wine, and online shopping.

I also 2nd the suggesting that Heffa go to Hawaii. . . and take me with her!!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I would like to go to Hawaii, and New Zealand, and pretty much everywhere. 

If I ever somehow came into Oprah money, I would travel everywhere and take a metric shitton of pictures. I have a serious case of wanderlust (which DK doesn't fully share, but tolerates pretty well) - and I'm imparting it onto our kid. The most dangerous thing you can do with me is mention a place that I haven't been (or have been and loved) - I will be online researching ticket prices, lodging, and things to do/see. 

DK and I took a trip to Scandinavia, last May, and I'm still going through the 4500+ pictures that I took on the ~12 day trip. I haven't gone through the (hundreds of) shots that I've taken on smaller trips since then (Philly, STL) - and we'll be going to FL and the Bahamas in a few weeks. 
  • I'm Princess Leia.  I'm 35 year old, Architect, have 2 dogs, and no plans for human offspring.  I got married about 1.5 years ago on a cruise ship.

I first joined TK around 6 years ago, disappeared pretty quickly without ever posting, started lurking again and got more active around 3 years ago.  And I stuck around after my wedding because I liked the entertainment it offered when I needed a break during my work day.  Plus, I like attempting to offer advice when I can.  I have mostly stuck to E and CC boards, with regular visits to the DW board, but have started lurking on other boards since it slowed down.

I currently have 257 books on my Goodreads "to read" list... and am slowly but surely making my way through it. It started as a combination of "Amazon's 100 Books to Read" and "BBC's 100 Books to Read", once I realized that I really hadn't read many of the books on those lists, then I added to it as I found other recommendations of awesome books.  At one point my list grew to over 300 books, but I've managed to move 62 of them to my "read" list so far (some of them were very quick reads & kids books). And am I always open to suggestions for books to add to it.

• I've always been pegasuskat-been around for almost exactly 11 years now. I guess I'm the resident "old" - I'm 49.  I joined when planning my 1st DD wedding. I have read daily but really only started posting more the last 4ish years. I have been married for 31 years, have 3 kids and 6 grandkids.

I still lurk more than post, and never really became a cool kid, I'm not in the super special FB group, but would accept a friend request if I got any and never got to be in the fun Christmas SS.  I haven't put a lot out there, but I have more time on my hands now and try to post.  Of course now its so slow around here, we need to change that!

I think I really haven't been flamed, I'm more conservative than most around here, but not preachy about it so I fly under the radar.  I took a little when I announced 2nd DD engagement that happened at her prom to her childhood sweetheart,  I wasn't exactly happy about it but was giving her credit for being very mature.  She was, and broke the engagement when he wouldn't wait for her to go to college.  She just finished a wonderful study abroad in London, and graduated from college, so it worked out.  
  • We have a silky terrier named Fred Jackson who's pretty darn cute - he's the little guy in my avatar picture. I work in health insurance doing the world's most boring job. In my spare time, I'm trying to get back into running but mostly I sit on the couch and binge on obscene amounts of Say Yes to the Dress and Fixer Upper.

Is your dog named after the (sadly former) Bills running back?? I'm a huge Bills fan who still vividly remembers the Super Bowl runs and believes they will one day make the playoffs again.

I'm Charlotte, I've been on TK for a year and half or so and have posted more lately. I post all over really, but have lurked the WW board a ton (mainly bc I couldn't figure out the vibe for a while).

H and I were married in NY in May and live in NC. In a addition to our wedding he and I have been in 3 other weddings this year so sometimes I feel like that's all my life is. I'm a political science professor. H and I have a cat and a dog, who love us and kindasorta tolerate each other.
  • Hi, I'm Jen.

I joined in 2012 when I lived in NYC.  In 2014 I moved (returned, really) to Houston where I lived as a kid and where my parents still live.  When I lived in NYC I was in a relationship that came close to engagement, and since I'm still friends with my ex, it may once again, because I'd love to move back there.

I'm a CPA and freelance editor.  I love cake and chocolate.  ;)
  • Hi WW. My username means nothing... I was having problems getting the website to accept a name change, I was trying all sorts of things, was running out of ideas, FI hollered Thanks Sugar from the other room, and 17th times the charm, it stuck.

I started lurking TK after I heard horror stories about how mean everyone was, lol. I appreciated the different opinions from what I was used to hearing *cough*obb*cough*. I stayed because lack of drama actually. Other boards seem to make everything a big deal (ZMOG! Is Pink the right nail color for my fall 2017 wedding!?!) and TK ladies are all about guest's comfort. It was comforting to have people put things in perspective.

I spent 9 years doing technical theatre before moving to ATL for love... and now I have a steady, super easy, but unfulfilling, job that I am planning on quitting after the wedding.
    We have a cat and a dog.
    I take horseback riding lessons weekly but wish I could afford to go more. I love yoga but have gotten out of practice since moving.

I had a rough start on TK. I was over eager with a side of over-thinking, I partially blame on inexperience and isolation. I have since learned to slow my roll and wedding planning is much more enjoyable.
  • Hi!  I'm mrs.conn.  I have been on the knot in some form since 2004 (dear god). I've had one name change and I don't even remember my o.g. name.  

DH and I were introduced 12 years ago this week by our good friends and have been together pretty much ever since.  We will celebrate 10 years of marriage later this year. 

We have the kiddo, who's my stepson from DH's first marriage.  DH has had sole custody the whole time and they have lived with me since the kiddo was 4...he's 15 now.  So he's mine in all the ways that matter.  ;)

We also have our whirling dervish, DefConn.  He's almost 5 and keeps me on my toes.  He's hysterical and sweet, and a bit insane.  Also, stubborn as hell.  

I work in customer service in the travel industry.  I mainly answer e-mails or respond to online chats (when I'm forced to...I prefer e-mail).  I work out of my home office, which is the shit.  DH is in warehouse management.   

I'm the resident Prudie chick.  True fact: I once got banned for posting a Dear Prudence.  I think it was one of the weird-ass creepy ones about siblings fucking. 

I love cussing, Haribo gummy bears, anything purple, craft beer, and shoes. I have a chair-ass and wear yoga pants more often than anything else. 
  • Hi WW! I'm artbyallie; just say Allie if you want to shorten it. I like lurking here, particularly to read the Prudie letters. I've tried not to post on the board since a flaming from an old reg (though I think she lost her login or something?) for not responding to her when she posted a thread with my name on it that I didn't see since this was before we got the ability to tag.

I've been on TK for almost 6 years now and H and I will celebrate our 5th anniversary this year. We like to travel in spite of our broke-ass-ness and went to Puerto Rico for our 3rd anniversary and did Halloween in New Orleans last year to mark 10 total years together. Would highly recommend both. I'm 28. The screenname comes from the Etsy store I used to have (well, still have, but it's on perma-vacation since I have to maintain a different one for my bosses). I work for a jewelry designer and got my bench jeweler certification last March. H and I have an asshole cat named Shamrock. I like wine. And cocktails, especially if I'm mixing. We're giant nerds that go to sci-fi conventions. I think that's everything important.

Oh, and kitty picture!

• Hi everyone!

I'm levioosa.  I've been her a couple of years, and I lurked a lot before joining.  I joined when I was in my friend's wedding and needed to vent about the BSC bitch MOH.  Then I just stuck around. It's ironic that NEY hates newcomers, since I'm NEY either.  SO and I have been together for 3 years though.  

Currently I'm in nursing school to become an NP which is why my posting has been so sporadic lately.  I love chocolate and also Nutella...but the Nutella has to be from Poland or Germany, and yes, there is a huge difference in taste depending on manufacturing location.  

• avpenguinrnavpenguinrn member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2016
    Hi, I'm Penguin (I guess? I never really considered how my user name could be shortened). I originally joined TK three-ish years ago when I was engaged before, then deleted my account when that engagement went bust, and rejoined about a year ago and have mostly been a lurker since then. I always visit WW to check out the Dear Prudies but have been hesitant to post.

FI and I have been engaged since last March and are getting married in April (we're officially in double digits on the countdown, yay!). We are currently putting an offer in on a house, and I've been fighting a mostly-panicked-but-kinda-excited feeling all day, so a lot will change in the next few months...

I have a cat named Belle who is sometimes my baby and sometimes the demon cat from hell, it all depends on her mood. FI and I hope to have kids someday but want to get settled as married people first. Other than that, I work straight nights as an RN in a pediatric intensive care unit so I do a lot of my lurking when I have a spare moment at night.

This post was a nice idea!

• monkeysipmonkeysip member
    edited January 2016
    Hello all!  Not a new person, but usually a lurker on this board.

Joined about 4 years ago, married 2 1/2.  My name is a goofy one that goes all the way back to when H and I dated as teens.  He said I look like a monkey when I sip through a straw.  So he called me Monkeysip.  Weird, I know.  But it makes for a handy, unique username on message boards.

We have an 18 month old daughter who is an adorable handful.  Poked me in the eye with a crayon the other day.  My eye has a bloody spot on it now.  Kids are fun.

I'm also a high school teacher.  Nice to learn more about you all!

SaveSave
  • Hi everyone!

I'm glasgowtolondon. As I'm sure you can guess, my incredibly imaginative name comes from that fact that I grew up in Glasgow, Scotland and now live in London, England. I've been on these boards for about 6months maybe, but lurked hard for the first 4months, and still a lurker on WW - love the prudie posts, I'd never heard of her so I'm assuming she is an American thing but I'm now a bit of a fan. I've been posting on the other boards, but like @oliveoilsmom I tend to respond to questions more than get involved in chatter. I guess it feels like you guys have your own thing going on, but this post is great idea and I'd love to get involved more. I travel a lot for work (I'm in India right now), so I can have serious chunks of time on my hands in airports as you can probably see from the fact that sometimes I comment on everything!

I'm getting married in October, which I'm very happy about, but a lot of the wedding industry leaves me scratching my head like what's the point. Food, tick. Booze, tick. Gigantic paper flower wall diy'ed by me and all my brideslaves? Hmm, not so much. I'll admit I first came to TK because of its reputation for being snarky AF. I think the first post I read was about some chick that wanted more married friends because she didn't like her single friends taking about licking guys b-holes on their weekend (I personally wish more of my friends had stories like that to tell me!), I cried with laughter and kind of stayed around after that. Seriously, we need more posts like that guys!

• Hello, I'm drunkenwitch, name says it all, currently working on a bottle of scotch. I'm mostly in chitchat and etiquette but post on all the boards if something strikes my fancy. BF and I plan to get married but are in no hurry.

And this is my furball Loki, yes he slept like that for 20 minutes, and then we shook the treat bag, hilarity ensued

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards