Wedding Woes

Lurkers: may I have your attention please?

Re: Lurkers: may I have your attention please?

• Hold on @Heffalump have I read this right, did someone from TK write on your guestbook??

• ::waving::

I'm tawillers, you can call me taw for short.  DH and I will celebrate 8 years of marriage this year, 13 years since we met.  We've got a 14yo son (DH's from a previous, lives with us full time, biomom was in his life briefly but has been mia for several years), a 6yo daughter and a 4yo daughter.

I joined TK shortly after we got engaged in early 2007 and started out on my month board.  Someone there posted in WW, got her ass handed to her, and came back to the month board to cry about it.  I agreed with WW and appreciated the honesty (I can't remember her situation) so I came here and have been here since.

I love gifs, c&ps/conn's prudies, and polls.  I miss the random polls.
  • Joined before I was engaged (gasp) in 2004.  I was an engineer and now mom to 3 kids. 

My biggest flaming was being called entitled for being pissed my MIL changed babysitting plans a few days before it happened.  She was afraid to keep my 2 yo overnight so I could take care of my then 4.5 yo after a T&A removal.  I had a 3 month old and was pretty much pissed at the world then.
  • I got flamed for something a few days before my wedding.  I think I agreed with someone who made some sort of entitled rant on a national board and my local jumped my ass.  I don't even remember what it was about.  

Talking about being flamed makes me miss pop-off Thursday a little bit. 
  • @charlotte989875 Yes he is! H is a huge Buffalo Bills fan and every year he says it's their year (it never is). I sprang the dog on him (someone was rehoming a puppy at work and I brought him home that night) so I let him pick out the name. Less than a year after bringing our dog home, Fred Jackson went to the Seahawks - sad, sad day.

I should've also added that also in our spare time, H and I like to drink all the wine and craft beer - we live in the Finger Lakes region of NY and are overrun with wineries and breweries. If anyone ever comes out this way and needs advice on where to go and what to do, I'm your girl.

• edited January 2016

Can I also add how much I love this post? I've enjoyed stalking you guys and I'm happy to post here. I also think it's laughable that people on NEY are upset that other regs are posting on their non-reg posts.

Effing mobile. Well there's my gif, finally (I think?)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Hi!  I lurk for Prudie posts!  I'm Aimee- 35 years old, just married in October.  That first really cold, damp, rainy day after the beautiful September we had?- yeah, that was my wedding date ;)  

Glad to be here- thanks for this post- and now I'm off to read the new Prudies...  
  • And now for my actual post....

I picked my UN from when I was obsessed with watching sons of anarchy. Incredibly unoriginal lol. I've been on tk for.... Little over 2 years I think... We got engaged on November 2013 and I think I joined shortly after? I have no idea. I think my ass was handed to me over something dumb, I also remember freaking out about address labels after someone yelled at me that that was not proper etiquette... I don't post often but I do "love it's" a lot, haha. I read a lot of the boards, mostly to find drama posts and enjoy reading those, sometimes I contribute to something productive, usually not.  

I live in downtown Chicago, We've been together for 9 years, married for 1.5. I'm an RN who works night shift in the neonatal ICU and as such I either have lots of time to read bc of a slow night at work or an inability to sleep during the day, or zero time to read bc I'm sleeping 14 hrs a day (true story, happened on monday) or work is kicking my ass.

and I love that this thread was created
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Hello! I'm ChelleJayne - my name, I couldn't come up with anything good. I live in Arizona and love the sun. I joined TK in May 2015 after I got engaged. FI and I are getting married in November this year! FI and I have 1 cat, who thinks she is a princess. No human children yet.

I tried the NEY page, wasn't accepted, moved on. Found you lovely ladies and totally love being here. I post or comment when I feel I should. I try not to be too harsh. I love lurking and just reading some of the things that are said. Makes me laugh and makes me cringe.

I got my ass handed to me when I posted something about honoring my dad (who passed 3 years ago, he would be 69 today) at my wedding. Yeah, that didn't go over well and actually made me cry. It takes a lot to make me cry. Said screw you to the other ladies and went on my way.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi, everyone! I'm SparklePants41 - Sparkle Pants is one of the myriad nicknames for DH & my rescued shelter dog (who will be 12 in March) and 41 is one of my favorite songs.

I'm 35, work in marketing in the AEC industry. I joined TK in May 2014, shortly after DH & I got engaged, and we were married in October 2014. I've known DH over half my life - he was my prom date and is my best friend. We live just south of Boston and just bought our first house!

I love cheese, wine, vodka, jellybeans, Haribo gummi bears, potatoes in all forms, beets, and hummus. And pizza. And figs.

I like to cook, read, run, do yoga, stand-up-paddleboard, and watch movies.

My favorite color is grey; my favorite animal is the giraffe; I like making up adjectives; and I always use my blinker when driving.
  • Y'ALL. How do I change my little picture thing?? been lurking since I got engaged in Sept.  Some posters are hilarious!
  • I'm TrixieJess, the Trixie is from the Trixie Belden character who used to get into trouble and solve mysteries and was a bit of a know-it-all and firecracker. My dad used to say I reminded him of her and it stuck. 

I came on after I lurked a bit and liked the snark of the boards. FI and I are getting married in August of this year. We've been together for 5 years and our son will be 3 this spring. 

I kept mostly to E and CC but like to lurk in other boards. You ladies always seem fun!
  • Hi, I'm MNNE and I joined TK just before getting engaged in 2005.   When I joined I was living in Nebraska and my FI was living in Minnesota so the SN MNNE.    This year we will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and have been together 12 years.  No kids and no animals.  We like to do day trips, get together with friends and watch entirely too much TV.

I'm 53 and definitely the oldest of the old here.  I'm a clinical research coordinator at a major medical center.  Before this career, I was a full-time family minister for 21 years.

I started on TK with my local board and when someone there got flamed on WW, I came over to see what the fuss was about.  I got hooked and have been here since.  I mostly lurk, but work has been a little slow so I've been commenting more lately.

• Y'ALL. How do I change my little picture thing?? been lurking since I got engaged in Sept.  Some posters are hilarious!

I just did this earlier in the week (somewhat successfully.....). You have to go to Thenest.com - your TK login will work there. Change your pic on there and within an hr or so it will show over here. Its pretty redic that you can't change avatar on this site, but what can you do.

• MNNEBride said:
    Hi, I'm MNNE and I joined TK just before getting engaged in 2005.   When I joined I was living in Nebraska and my FI was living in Minnesota so the SN MNNE.    This year we will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and have been together 12 years.  No kids and no animals.  We like to do day trips, get together with friends and watch entirely too much TV.

I'm 53 and definitely the oldest of the old here.  I'm a clinical research coordinator at a major medical center.  Before this career, I was a full-time family minister for 21 years.

I started on TK with my local board and when someone there got flamed on WW, I came over to see what the fuss was about.  I got hooked and have been here since.  I mostly lurk, but work has been a little slow so I've been commenting more lately.

See, I learned something new.  I thought I was the oldest.
  • Just saying hello. I lurk daily :-)

Anniversary

I just did this earlier in the week (somewhat successfully.....). You have to go to Thenest.com - your TK login will work there. Change your pic on there and within an hr or so it will show over here. Its pretty redic that you can't change avatar on this site, but what can you do.
    Thank you so much! I, too, have been trying to figure this out!
  • I guess that makes me the third oldest.

<sitting in my rocking chair>

Who is the youngest? Any 20 or younger?

• Hi, I'm debbeau and joined in 2000 when planning my wedding. DH and I were married 15 years in October. We have one DD who is 14. I started on the local boards since I was planning the wedding from another state but now it is CC and E mainly. One of the reasons is because if you need an unbiased opinion on something you will always get it. 
  • I should've also added that also in our spare time, H and I like to drink all the wine and craft beer - we live in the Finger Lakes region of NY and are overrun with wineries and breweries. If anyone ever comes out this way and needs advice on where to go and what to do, I'm your girl.
    That's a fantastic dog name! I grew up in Buffalo, and love the Finger Lakes wineries. My sister went to William Smith, so I spent a lot of time up there. I live in Western NC now, but Western New York will always be home.
  • I'm PandaNikki- Panda because a few months after I first met DH but before we were dating, he sent me a Facebook message saying "Why so sad panda bear" in response to my sad statuses (I was going through a break up) and it stuck. I call him the grizzly bear! We started dating a few months later in 2007.

I'm 27, and from New England. We're both electrical engineers. We have no kids (yet) and no pets (ever)- DH is extremely allergic to everything. Maybe a fish tank is in our future by that's about it.

I joined in late 2013 after we got engaged/bought a house (these happened in the same week) and got married in August 2014. I mostly lurk in Snarky Brides, WW, and Chit Chat, though I have posted a few times.
  • So late. I'm PMeg and I think I joined in 2005. I got married in 2006 and we're coming up on 10 years of marriage, and we've been together for 15 years. My username comes from high school. Somehow everyone ended up calling me Princess Meg and it got shortened to PMeg. For some amazing reason, I've only ever had one username. 

I have two kids that I may or may not be willing to sell. Ask for pricing. I also might be willing to part with one well used husband and two decrepit dogs. Depends on the day and price. 

In in my spare time I mainline antipsychotics, alcohol, and try to hide from the world. 
  • Thanks for this post! 

I got engaged in April of 2013 right before my 30th birthday. I lurked a bit before that because I knew my engagement was coming. (And when I shared a story about this on NEY, I got the famed NEY treatment. Harumph.)
    I got married in September of 2014. Because my wedding was the second in a whopping 8 weddings I'd attend from 2014-2015, I stayed because weddings remained on the brain and.... I really like it here. People are cool. The chit chat helps make my workday go by.

I work in higher education. Perhaps my love of helping people also keeps me here as I like giving advice or offering my experience. I humbly acknowledge many others are more knowledgeable and eloquent on wedding related matters than I am. My attention span sucks so I Knot while on conference calls (shhh.. don't tell anyone). 
    My hobbies include wining, running, and traveling. 
    Cheers! 

• Thanks for this post! 

I got engaged in April of 2013 right before my 30th birthday. I lurked a bit before that because I knew my engagement was coming. (And when I shared a story about this on NEY, I got the famed NEY treatment. Harumph.)
    I got married in September of 2014. Because my wedding was the second in a whopping 8 weddings I'd attend from 2014-2015, I stayed because weddings remained on the brain and.... I really like it here. People are cool. The chit chat helps make my workday go by.

I work in higher education. Perhaps my love of helping people also keeps me here as I like giving advice or offering my experience. I humbly acknowledge many others are more knowledgeable and eloquent on wedding related matters than I am. My attention span sucks so I Knot while on conference calls (shhh.. don't tell anyone)
    My hobbies include wining, running, and traveling. 
    Cheers! 

I do this. You are not alone. That's why they make mute buttons on phones - so people can't hear you typing o:)

• I'm not exactly a lurker but not a reg either, and I can't remember if I ever posted a "hello its me" before so here goes.
    Im 27 and FI is 23 we both live in the giant state of Tx which I dislike very much. FI is a huge Chicago sports fan so I often read posts from the Chicago posters when they talk about the goings on around there, FI likes to hear about it. We have future plans to at some point relocate out there but I'm not sure when. We've been together 4 years and engaged for 1. I always said I wanted a long engagement and as of right now no date has been set, we are FINALLY starting to look at venues. I work evenings in a psych hospital, and have previously worked in higher education so I have a soft spot for that area.

I am CBC currently, FI is on the same page with that, but we are both open to the idea our minds might change. Hasn't really even wavered with both of us but we communicate about it. We do have 2 furbabies right now, I occasionally have more as I have trained therapy dogs in the past. Right now with my job it doesn't lead to a lot of therapy dog time so I've cut back on doing that. 

I joined TK when I got engaged and love chat boards, I learned so much by lurking and posting and like to respond to others when I feel I know enough that I can. I listened to the entire Mercy Thompson books on my long-ass commute thanks to the posters here that mentioned it, and I'm looking for a replacement now that thats over if anyone has any suggestions. 
  • LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    Halloo,

Originally joined in 2008 right around getting engaged, married in 2009.

My username is irrelevant, except that I was born in July of 1970, making me 45.

I have to say WW is a LOT more mellow now than it was 8 years ago.

I'm in NJ & used to be a lawyer, now with a day job as a paralegal because it's a better quality of life.  My other jobs are more fun, though:  face painter, beekeeper, mushroom farmer (no, not that kind), basically.  H & I do a ton of other stuff... except sleep.  The one thing we really don't do much of is sleep.  The plan is to transition entirely to the fun stuff and ditch the day jobs (H is in IT and wants out too, into solely beekeeping and mushrooms).

We don't have or want human kids.

We have 2 large dogs, Conor (chocolate lab/English pointer mix) and Jack (yellow lab/lion mix, near as we can figure); two cats, Hunter & Catimus (Hunter's in my sig pic); 5 guinea pigs, Alfred, Gunther, Pinky, Brain, and French Fry; 6 hens, Miranda, Reba, Martina, Cher, Adele, and Lita; 7 or so unnamed fish (one in the indoor saltwater tank, the rest in the pond we dug); a bunch of frogs in the pond if they're surviving this cold weather; and 11 beehives, to be expanded to 25 or so come spring.

I like to read, knit, sew, act, make soap & candles, draw, paint, bake, and throw big parties.  I'm on my town's Environmental Commission and other stuff too.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • I have been a lurker on WW the last few months. I'm 54 - so I think I'm the oldest. I joined a little over a year ago when I knew my daughter would be getting engaged. I'm mostly on E and I&P but read a lot of the boards. After reading about NEY I want to go read there! I have three grown children - oldest son just got engaged. I also have 2 furbabies. I jokingly tell my children the pups are my favorite children. My UN refers to the fact that I love to dance - particularly swing. I love to read, drink wine, workout and dance with DH. We've been married almost 33 years. I think I will hang around WW a little more! 
  • Hi! I joined TK after getting engaged in June 2014 as engagedhamstermom and changed my name to married hamster mom after getting married October 2015. I joined because I had no clue where to start with planning a wedding and thank goodness I did because I thought a lot of rude things were ok just because that's all I'd seen.

As you can guess by my username hamsters are really important to me. I got my first hamster in 9th grade and he saved my life by giving me something to live for when I was dealing with depression, cutting myself, and a suicide attempt. My parents wouldn't let me have a dog or cat but did finally agree to a hamster and I found that they all have such amazing personalities and are actually quite intelligent. I've since had several hamsters, the one in my profile pic is the first one DH and I got together, sadly he passed right before our wedding. We now have 2 chinese dwarf hamsters, Dezi and Gronk, and they are our boys who we treat like children. 

DH and I celebrated being married 3 months yesterday :) It really doesn't feel like it's been that long and at the same time it feels like we've been married forever! We haven't told anyone this but we're talking about TTC starting in August and even thought it is a ways off I'm completely excited and really nervous at the same time. We're also saving to buy a house. We both are engineers in the semiconductor industry. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm definitely a lurker on most boards!

I'm Jells, which comes from a childhood nickname. The "2dot0" refers to the fact that I was on here from 2002-2006ish when I was married to my first husband. I've been back on here since 2010. I mostly post on the DW board, since we eloped and got married on a beach in Australia.

I'm 36, H is 53. We've been together for almost 10 years, but married for almost 3.5 years. We met at work- we're both engineers/contractors. We have 4.2 cats (.2 for the two strays we take care of) and H has 2 adult children. No kiddos of our own and no plans to since I am a multiple cancer survivor.

In our free time, we travel A LOT.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards