Wedding Etiquette Forum

Extra Invites for Children

Not sure if this is really an etiquette question but here goes:

I have a large number of cousins on my Dad's side. They all got married 12-15 years ago and now have kids in the 4-14 range. Myself and my parents are closer with one branch- My Aunt (Dad's sister) and her two kids and two granddaughters. 

All of the cousins' kids are invited, but I was wanting to send these two girls (9 and 11) their own invites. Their dad always treated me as an equal at family functions, even though I was 15 years younger (and the difference between a 10 and 25 yo is vast!) and I still remember I got my own invite to his wedding and thought that was just *the best*. 

His girls are quite excited for the wedding, would it be 'ok' to send them both their own invite even if I don't send individual invites to all of the other cousins' kids? 

For some background- we're not a 'close' family overall- we see each other at weddings and funerals. We live all over the country, so it's not like Sally in NH will see Ali or Kate's in VA invites or will talk to them before then. 

Thanks!

Re: Extra Invites for Children

• Personally, I think this is fine. Kids don't generally get their own invites, but I think it would be cute/fun in this case.

You know your family, though. Is there another set of parents who will be upset that their special snowflake doesn't get their own invite (but is still invited)? Do you care to deal with that drama? If so, id think about sending them to all kids.
  • I sent each of my nieces and nephews their own invites.    They were the only kids invited, but I don't see an issue in your situation. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think this is fine and very sweet :)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:

I think this is fine and very sweet :)

So do I.
  • I like the idea. It would be nice to perhaps give the kids' parents a heads-up that you're doing that, in case other parents ask why their kids didn't get the special treatment or it causes confusion with other invites. 

• Jen4948 said:
    I think this is fine and very sweet :)
    So do I.
    Me too.

I sent our niece and nephew (our FG and RB) separate invites, and separate thank you notes. Our niece loved it and felt very grown up. No one else knew, or if they did, didn't care.
  • I like the idea. It would be nice to perhaps give the kids' parents a heads-up that you're doing that, in case other parents ask why their kids didn't get the special treatment or it causes confusion with other invites. 
    Good idea. But I really wasn't exaggerating when I said we don't talk lol. We all lead separate lives! I couldn't even tell you what a lot of the kids names are, but these two I know the names of their soccer teams! haha
  • There is no rule against sending children their own invitation unless the adults are not to be invited, and that would be rude.  Go ahead and give the kids a thrill.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards