Wedding Woes

Lurkers: may I have your attention please?

Re: Lurkers: may I have your attention please?

• Another lurker here.

Hi, I'm Tiy. My screen name isn't special just a mix of part of my name and a my love of cooking.

I joined TK several years ago for ideas and etiquette advice while helping a couple of friends plan their weddings. I don't remember what my screen name was then. I joined again last fall while planning my wedding. H (fondly nicknamed Phinny for his old timey facial hair) and I have been married for almost two weeks. No pets or kids yet; we're just settling into our new lives together. 

I work for a property management company, tend to go off on bunny trails when telling a story and have a case of wanderlust that I've had to ignore for far too long.
  • Best thread in a long time!  Good job, @Heffalump !
  • I have to think of some polls with all of this action going on.
  • Hello everyne,

I'm RomanceManaged, or Kayla, and my name comes from a deep love of Harry Potter. Its a play on Mischief Managed. I joined TK in 2010 with a different name, and then the marriage fell apart after a year, and I divorced. I don't think I ever deleted my account though. Oooops. I joined again this year after becoming engaged to my dearest friend. We met on our first day of senior year in high school, and I was stalkerish in love with him, but he was dating someone else, so we kept a pretty distant friendship over the years and went on our first official date last January. We are having an outdoor ceremony in June that will be moderatley HP feely.Not exactly themed, but HP will be incorporated nicely.

In my free time I like to binge watch Netflix, sleep, or read. Usually my ideal day consists of all of the three.

I have the coolest little boy in the world, he's 4 and hilarious. He's a high anxiety child though, so some days are pretty tough, and some nights I don't sleep. Thats probably why my hobbies include sleeping. But he is amazing, and beautiful, and I wouldn't change a thing. After our honeymoon, FI and I plan to have my birth control removed and start trying to concieve right away.

I think thats about it. I'm pretty boring.

• Okay, random questions:

1.  Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?
    2.  A life experience that made you a stronger person?
    3.  How did you meet SO/FI/DH?
    4.  What book are you reading right now? Or last book you read?
    5.  E-Reader or actual paper book?
    6.  Least favorite chore?
    7.  If you could vacation anywhere right now, where would you go?
    8.  Hobbies?
    9.  Favorite ice cream?
    10. Do you collect anything?

• 1.  Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?
    Chai Tea Latte

I had major back surgery and got an infection, resulting in multiple additional surgeries and kind of changed the course of my life.  But, I overcame it and learned just how strong I am and how much I can endure.

He lived next door to me.  We lived next to each other for 5 years before we ever actually met... then he stole my parking space and I almost had his car towed.

Just finished Wuthering Heights.  Just started re-reading Alice in Wonderland.

Both... it depends.  I love paper books, but I am getting converted to the convenience of e-readers and being able to read at night without the lights on.

Washing dishes.  DH is in charge of the kitchen as long as I do all the laundry (his least favorite chore).

DH and I want to do a trip to Fiji.  And an Alaskan cruise.

8.  Hobbies?
    Reading... not really much else.  My life is work, read, watch tv, and sleep.

9.  Favorite ice cream?
    Mint Chocolate Chip

Not really.  I had some small starts to collections, but got rid of most a few years back when trying to simplify and declutter my house & life. I even gave away all my books & movies.

• Hi everyone! I'm glasgowtolondon. As I'm sure you can guess, my incredibly imaginative name comes from that fact that I grew up in Glasgow, Scotland and now live in London, England. I've been on these boards for about 6months maybe, but lurked hard for the first 4months, and still a lurker on WW - love the prudie posts, I'd never heard of her so I'm assuming she is an American thing but I'm now a bit of a fan. I've been posting on the other boards, but like @oliveoilsmom I tend to respond to questions more than get involved in chatter. I guess it feels like you guys have your own thing going on, but this post is great idea and I'd love to get involved more. I travel a lot for work (I'm in India right now), so I can have serious chunks of time on my hands in airports as you can probably see from the fact that sometimes I comment on everything! I'm getting married in October, which I'm very happy about, but a lot of the wedding industry leaves me scratching my head like what's the point. Food, tick. Booze, tick. Gigantic paper flower wall diy'ed by me and all my brideslaves? Hmm, not so much. I'll admit I first came to TK because of its reputation for being snarky AF. I think the first post I read was about some chick that wanted more married friends because she didn't like her single friends taking about licking guys b-holes on their weekend (I personally wish more of my friends had stories like that to tell me!), I cried with laughter and kind of stayed around after that. Seriously, we need more posts like that guys!
    I concur. 
  • LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    @glasgowtolondon I wish you'd been around Monday night when H & I had to talk a friend down off the figurative ledge.  It wasn't a gross convo like that, but definitely lots of single people drama - the friend is younger, 26, and a young 26 (I met him when we were in a show together), and my god, the drama.  I think theater people can be more dramatic in general, but all I know is I came off that night saying to H, "Man, I'm so glad to be 45 and married."  Yeesh.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Well guys, as soon as the divorce is finalized, maybe I can start regaling you with Varuna's Nights Out stories.  There's a few in the vault already.

Snifter of The MacAllen, neat

Getting this divorce

NA

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Paper

Sweeping

Italy

8.  Hobbies?  
    Reading, Community Service, Gaming, Photography, Backpacking

9.  Favorite ice cream?
    Chocolate

Aprons

• Ooo I like answering questions!
    1.  Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)? I'm a big fan of sangria- probably going to make some tonight for my book club.

2.  A life experience that made you a stronger person? I did a project for school that put me across the country for 2 months. I had a really hard time with it- I was very homesick, missing my (now) DH and my family, and my project was difficult. But I was able to experience things I hadn't before and I'm definitely stronger because of it!

3.  How did you meet SO/FI/DH? We both went to a class that was cancelled and neither of us had checked our email. We started talking on the way out of class and hung out for a few hours. I was seeing someone else at the time, but broke up with that guy over the summer and talked online with DH all summer until school started and we got together.

4.  What book are you reading right now? Or last book you read? The Running Man by Stephen King for the book club I'm in- it was very good!

5.  E-Reader or actual paper book? E-reader- actually I've been reading on my Kindle app on my phone because I can't find my Kindle.

6.  Least favorite chore? Folding Laundry- I don't mind moving it to washer and dryer but folding sucks.

7.  If you could vacation anywhere right now, where would you go? DH and I are trying to plan a cruise to Belize right now so I'm gonna say there!

8.  Hobbies? I have a meetup group I hang out with a lot, I like to read, karaoke, play pool, bowling, roller skating, etc.

9.  Favorite ice cream? Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough!

10. Do you collect anything? No, but DH collects shot glasses and they are displayed in the dining room so they have become a communal collection.
  • 1.  Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?
    *Unsweetened iced tea

*Finally realizing that I didn't have to keep toxic people in my life just because we're blood relatives, and deciding not to have contact with my parents as a result.

*In an Irish pub in Manhattan.  He started talking to a friend of mine, they traded numbers, and then later in the night he decided she was a flake (she was; I TOLD her not to bring up astrology right away!) and asked me to dinner instead.

*The Head of Kay's by PG Wodehouse, The Essential Guide to Cultivating Mushrooms, and Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras

*The Wodehouse is on Kindle, the other two are paper; I lean toward paper.

*Dusting

*Ireland

8.  Hobbies?
    *Sewing, knitting, making soap & candles, drawing, painting, reading, acting, baking

9.  Favorite ice cream?
    *Chocolate chip mint

*Art glass

1.  Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)? - Captain and Dr. Pepper. Rumchata. Apple cider.
    2.  A life experience that made you a stronger person? Ummmm...a bad relationship with my parents in my teens.
    3.  How did you meet SO/FI/DH? I met him when I was 14 and he was my then boyfriend's best friend. Then boyfriend guy and I broke up when I was 17 and stayed really great friends. I started dating now H at 19. I swear it's only kind of as slutty as it sounds.
    4.  What book are you reading right now? Or last book you read? Anything by Ann Rule.
    5.  E-Reader or actual paper book? Either. I'm running out of paper books from my mom so I've started buying books on my ipad.
    6.  Least favorite chore? Laundry and dishes. Mopping/sweeping wood floors.
    7.  If you could vacation anywhere right now, where would you go?  Galapagos islands.
    8.  Hobbies? Football/hockey games (professional as a fan, I can't play), sleeping.
    9.  Favorite ice cream? Plain ole' vanilla. Might explain why I don't lick buttholes.
    10. Do you collect anything? Penguins and Bears or Blackhawks stuff.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

8.  Hobbies?
    9.  Favorite ice cream?

1. Woodchuck Hard Cider
    2. My ex-bf dumped me out of the blue, after 3ish years, for someone else, expecting me to continue to be his friend (we had been platonic friends before and I guess he thought we could just flip the switch again) and listen to him talking about having sex with his new gf. And wanting me to hang out with them. Sadly I had next to no self-esteem (which was a problem throughout our entire relationship) and accepted this treatment for a full 6 months. I kicked him out of my life when they abused everyone during their engagement, which is hilarious now that I am planning a wedding... they sent out invites 4 months early and expected RSVPs within two weeks of sending them out (meaning 3.5 months before), then the day before they were due put up a post on facebook saying if the physical RSVP cards were not in his mailbox by that day then the person couldn't come. He also emotionally abused my closest friend, whose mom was going through chemo for breast cancer. It hurt so bad because we had been friends seven years and involved for about three. Ultimately this experience made me stronger because it was a sink-or-swim moment. I grew a backbone, began to be more confident and assertive in relationships, and learned to be happy alone.
    3. OKCupid :) 
    4. Just finished "10% Happier" by Dan Harris. It's a book about meditation and mindfulness (essentially secular Buddhism). I'm an atheist but have always been interested in meditation and I found the book really fascinating. It's more memoir than instruction manual but it was a good way to dip my toes in and I'll seek out more information about it for sure.
    5. Paper book all the way! I do consume mostly audiobooks these days because the internet ruined my attention span. I'm doing well, though, and have "read" 60 books in the last 1.5 years as a result of switching to audiobooks. But I will always love paper and whenever we have a decent bathtub again I will definitely take up my "reading in the tub" habit with a vengeance.
    6. Dishes. I have to do them anyway because FH did them for two years when we lived in a house with no dishwasher. So now it's my turn since we have a dishwasher. I am fine with it, though, as long as I keep up with it it's super easy to manage. Also FH introduced me to using rubber gloves which cuts way down on the ick factor.
    7. At this exact moment in time, I'd go to Ireland. I think the weather would be best there. My other favorite places are Australia (in the middle of a record heat wave) or Vermont (likely buried, or soon to be, in 10 feet of snow). 
    8. Mentioned in previous post, but cross stitch, online forums (mostly reddit), cats, music, and audiobooks.
    9. Butter pecan and similar (Baskin Robbins has a praline ice cream that is to die for) or plain and simple vanilla with chocolate syrup.
    10. Champagne glasses. I lost more than 50% of my collection when my cats were kittens... you can guess how... which caused me to lose a bit of interest. But I still love them and love to receive them as gifts even if I don't go hunting anymore.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @spockforprez Yay, another atheist!  I'm the resident one here.  You might read Sam Harris' new book (I'm not fan of his, but this one is good) about meditation, "Waking Up."  He's matured a lot, I think (and doesn't talk about politics).
  • 1. Favorite drink: prosecco
    2.A life experience that made me a stronger person: my mom's death
    3.How did I meet H? I was an undergraduate working in the department where he was a graduate student.
    4.Book I'm reading now: Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter
    5. E-reader or paper: Both. I prefer Kindle when working out on an elliptical or treadmill.
    6.Least favorite chore: cleaning the bathroom.
    7.If I could vacation anywhere I would go on an European River cruise.
    8.Hobbies? reading, working out, just started cross stitching again
    9.Favorite ice cream: something with caramel, coffee and chocolate.
    10. I collect sweetgrass baskets.
  • Ooo I like answering questions!

5.  E-Reader or actual paper book? E-reader- actually I've been reading on my Kindle app on my phone because I can't find my Kindle.

7.  If you could vacation anywhere right now, where would you go? DH and I are trying to plan a cruise to Belize right now so I'm gonna say there!

That's the other reason I've grown to love my Kindle... I often will pull up the books on my phone while I'm stuck waiting someplace.  So, it allows me to always have my book with me that I can pull out anytime I have time to read... and it sync's with my actual Kindle, so I can switch back and forth.

DH and I did a honeymoon cruise that went to Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize.  We loved Belize so much that we want to take a full trip there someday because one day just wasn't nearly enough time to enjoy it. 

1.  Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)? WINE
    2.  A life experience that made you a stronger person? Getting laid off. I bounced back in a few months. 
    3.  How did you meet SO/FI/DH? Match.com, yo.
    4.  What book are you reading right now? Or last book you read? Currently reading The Outfit about the history of Chicago mob.
    5.  E-Reader or actual paper book? E-reader! I don't have enough room or money to buy books and going to the library all the time is a chore. 
    6.  Least favorite chore? Laundry. Hate hate hate.
    7.  If you could vacation anywhere right now, where would you go? Santorini, Greece. It's my dream vacation but DH doesn't want to go to Greece. Any takers with me? ;-) 
    8.  Hobbies? Running, wining, watching bad reality TV like Dance Moms
    9.  Favorite ice cream? Anything that involves chocolate. 
    10. Do you collect anything? No, unless you count e-books. 

• VarunaTT said:
    @spockforprez Yay, another atheist!  I'm the resident one here.  You might read Sam Harris' new book (I'm not fan of his, but this one is good) about meditation, "Waking Up."  He's matured a lot, I think (and doesn't talk about politics).
    The only one?  I'd figure on more.  H is atheist.  I'm agnostic.  I just figure I have no idea what may or may not be, and to be perfectly honest, I don't care.
  • I love this post! 

I joined on 8/8/08, a little over a month before I got engaged (gasp!). I pretty much immediately fell in love with the WWers, and started posting after a couple months of lurking. Got married in August of 09, and moved from DC to the to SF bay area days later. We've been here ever since, and now have a dog and 2 kids (DD will be 4 on Tuesday, and DS just turned 1). Moving to the west coast really cramped my style on the knotting front, since most of the regs were east coasters and their work day was ending at my lunch time. 

I got my ass handed to me for bringing my daughter to see Hunger Games with me when she was 6 weeks old. I still stand by my decision to bring her. I also once got into a fight with some idiot who was obsessed with KitchenAid mixers. 

1.  Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)? Jack and Diet Coke (or just Diet Coke for non-alcoholic).

2.  A life experience that made you a stronger person? Had a couple major health scares with my first pregnancy/childbirth (first with my daughter while I was pregnant, then with me right after delivery). We're both fine, but those weeks of testing during my pregnancy were hell on earth, and nearly dying in childbirth is not an activity I recommend. 

3.  How did you meet SO/FI/DH? We met at the wedding of a mutual friend. Actually, we grew up really close to each other, and went to the same college, but never crossed paths. Then this friend told me about this guy I had to meet, invited us both to her wedding, then promptly freaked the fuck out when we actually hit it off, and spent the next couple years trying to convince us to break up. She was not successful. 

4.  What book are you reading right now? Or last book you read? I just started re-reading Enchanted Inc by Shana Swendson. It's just a cute, light love story. I need something 100% non-scary to read during night feedings, because my jerk son still can't STTN. 

5.  E-Reader or actual paper book? My kindle is one of my very favorite possessions. 

6.  Least favorite chore? All of them? If I have to pick one I'll say folding laundry. 

7.  If you could vacation anywhere right now, where would you go? With kids, Disney World, without kids, Bora Bora. 

8.  Hobbies? Not to be a hipster about it, but I was into coloring before coloring was cool. I do all kinds of crafts (sewing, scrapbooking, card making, knitting, crocheting, etc.) and teach coloring and crafting classes at a local shop. I also used to blog about it, but I'm on a slight hiatus right now because we're living in a temporary place while we build a house, and most of my stuff is packed away. But the new house comes with my very own craft room, so I'll be back to it soon!

9.  Favorite ice cream? If it is ice cream, it is my favorite. 

10. Do you collect anything? Craft supplies. Markers, colored pencils, paper, fabric, sewing machines, scissors. It's a sickness. 

My go to drink out is vodka&soda, but I love a heavy dry red wine as well.

I'm also an excessive coffee drinker.

Ending a really terrible relationship, that everyone else in my life could see was a trainwreck except me. It's when I started treating myself right and expecting that from others.

In a graduate school game theory class. We both love math.

For fun I'm re-reading Harry Potter. I could re-read the series many times and not be bored.

For research, The Struggle for Constitutional Power, a book about the Egyptian Supreme Constitutional Court.
    Hard copies of books no question.

Folding laundry, especially socks! Seriously the worst thing I do around the house.

Somewhere warm, probably the Caribbean since H has never been. But we're saving to buy a house so no vacations for us for a while.

8.  Hobbies?
    I love CrossFit, but I'm out right now because of knee surgery.
    9.  Favorite ice cream?
    Black raspberry or red velvet. I actually hate chocolate ice cream. Well I hate chocolate in general. H thinks I'm really strange.
    Umm. Not really. Books, I guess because I have hundreds, but not really a collection.
    I'm loving everyone's answers here.
  • Holy shit, @TheDuckis , it's good to see you!
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2016

LD1970 said:
    VarunaTT said:
    @spockforprez Yay, another atheist!  I'm the resident one here.  You might read Sam Harris' new book (I'm not fan of his, but this one is good) about meditation, "Waking Up."  He's matured a lot, I think (and doesn't talk about politics).
    The only one?  I'd figure on more.  H is atheist.  I'm agnostic.  I just figure I have no idea what may or may not be, and to be perfectly honest, I don't care.
    I'm sure there are more, I just said resident, not only; I'm actually quite active in the atheist community in both my hometown and online and I'm vocal about it here.  It's part of my identity, since I live in a very conservative Bible thumping part of the country where the first question most people ask is what church do you go to and where they recently tried again to get In God We Trust as the city motto.
  • Holy crap. 3 pages! 

I'm late, as usual, but wevs. I'm Baconsmom, as my daughter's nickname is Bacon, and I've been here since 2004. Yikes. 

I can't remember specifically getting my ass handed to me over anything, but I'm sure it happened. I do remember getting into a fight with that male librarian, though. It's still my cocktail-party story. 

I'm a novelist who works three other jobs. My siggy is my first book cover, which I'm legally not supposed to be using for promotion anymore, but TK won't let me get rid of it, so there you go. You can find my stuff under Catherine Winters on all major online retailers (and in two bookstores here in CO). 

I also have three other jobs, one of which I'm at right now, but we're super slow. 
  • @VarunaTT! Good to see you too. I'm sorry to hear about your divorce, but it sounds like you're in a good place now. Hope you're well. 
  • VarunaTT said:

LD1970 said:
    VarunaTT said:
    I'm sure there are more, I just said resident, not only; I'm actually quite active in the atheist community in both my hometown and online and I'm vocal about it here.  It's part of my identity, since I live in a very conservative Bible thumping part of the country where the first question most people ask is what church do you go to and where they recently tried again to get In God We Trust as the city motto.
    Whoa, yeah, that makes sense.  We don't have to deal with that; closest I ever got was the night I met my rather Catholic (at the time) FMIL, who looked right at me and asked if we were getting married in the church... all the while knowing that H was atheist & I was raised Jewish.  So that was fun.  I just looked at H and let him handle it with a resounding NO.

1.  Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)? Riesling or margaritas, Dr. Pepper for the non alcoholic
    2.  A life experience that made you a stronger person? having a preemie (and preeclampsia)
    3.  How did you meet SO/FI/DH? officially, he saw my profile on  match.com and joined to get in contact with me, but we were both engineering students in the same class at the same school (just different majors, so we had never met. I'm biomed, he's computer)
    4.  What book are you reading right now? Or last book you read? I'm re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones) in anticipation for season 6. 
    5.  E-Reader or actual paper book? e-reader. i read way too fast for paper books. (e.g. when i travel, i don't want to carry 5 books with me for a weeklong trip.)
    6.  Least favorite chore? cleaning the bathroom (or really anything that involves heavy duty cleaning products - the smell gets to me)
    7.  If you could vacation anywhere right now, where would you go? I'd do an African safari
    8.  Hobbies? photography, LEGOs, Guild Wars 2, winemaking, crafty stuff (crocheting, cross stitch, needle felting), cooking/baking
    9.  Favorite ice cream? it used to be rocky road or cherry garcia, but i recently found out i'm allergic to chocolate, so i've been trying not to eat it. i'll say blue bell gingerbread house or blue bell peppermint stick. 
    10. Do you collect anything? jewelry, shoes, LEGOs, shot glasses, and masks. 

• *Barbie**Barbie* member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2016
    Ooo I like answering questions!

DH and I did a honeymoon cruise that went to Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize.  We loved Belize so much that we want to take a full trip there someday because one day just wasn't nearly enough time to enjoy it. 
    We've done that route 2x with Royal Caribbean, and loved all of the stops. We did a riverboat trip through the rainforest and saw the Altun-Ha Mayan ruins, also did a glass bottom boat /snorkeling tour. We saw multiple rainbows on both Belize stops. 

FWIW, Southwest just started flying a Belize route from Houston, and I want to say it was less than $300 per person round trip. 
  • 1. Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?
    I usually just drink water or else wine. I am a sucker for all kinds of herbal teas, though, and I have a huge collection of it.

2. A life experience that made you a stronger person?
    My dad left my mom for another woman 3 years ago after being married for 27 years. It was so hard to go through that as an adult, because I was fully aware of everything that was going on. Fast forward to today, he has disowned my entire family and no longer speaks to any of us including his own mother. As hard as the whole thing has been, I learned a lot about life and my family. It forced me to dig deep and face some deep rooted issues from my childhood. I am a much healthier person because of it. We all are.

3. How did you meet SO/FI/DH?
    I had a huge crush on my DH for months. He was the butcher at the Fresh Market, and my mom and I were regular customers of his. I am not a shy person, but I was always too shy to talk to him. After lots of pressure from her and some of my friends, I ended up giving him my phone number in a Christmas card. He always laughs because I handed it to him, and by the time he looked down to see what it was and looked back up, I was gone. He called me about 2 hours later when he was on his lunch break and asked me on a date. The rest is history :smile:

4. What book are you reading right now? Or last book you read?
    I'm ashamed to say that I am a serial book starter, but I rarely finish one.

5. E-Reader or actual paper book?
    When I do read, I prefer paper books.

6. Least favorite chore?
    Laundry. I hate it so much. I particularly hate folding clothes and putting them away, so they usually end up staying in baskets for looong periods of time.

7. If you could vacation anywhere right now, where would you go?
    Probably St. Kitts. Or else Crested Butte, CO. 2 completely opposite places, but both are places I love!

8. Hobbies?
    I lead worship at my church which is currently my most loved and most time consuming hobby. Other than that, I like to write and I love to cook. I work at a bank, so there's not much room for creative expression there. I always like to say that cooking is my outlet to create. It's like art to me.

9. Favorite ice cream?
    Cake batter ice cream from Bruster's is my absolute favorite. I won't turn a cold shoulder to any flavor of ice cream though.

I think I collect makeup, if that's a thing. I love experimenting with different brands as well as different eye palates and different shades of lipstick.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards