Flowers
Options

Clueless with flowers

My fiancé and I are having a difficult time narrowing on flowers haha. We know that we like anemones, possibly baby's breath or Queen Ann's Lace and SOME roses (very strict budget as we'll both still be in grad school, so only roses in my bouquet). Colors are navy, silver, charcoal, and blush and it's a winter wedding (vintage winter theme) in Ocala, FL. I have absolutely no clue when it comes to flowers haha, any tips would be helpful!

Re: Clueless with flowers

• Options
    My fiancé and I are having a difficult time narrowing on flowers haha. We know that we like anemones, possibly baby's breath or Queen Ann's Lace and SOME roses (very strict budget as we'll both still be in grad school, so only roses in my bouquet). Colors are navy, silver, charcoal, and blush and it's a winter wedding (vintage winter theme) in Ocala, FL. I have absolutely no clue when it comes to flowers haha, any tips would be helpful!
    Especially if you are clueless, or not particular I would go to a local florist to see what is in season for your area.  That way you'll get the freshest flowers, hopefully for the best price.  If you are having a winter wedding, go now and take a look.  Maybe even pick up a little bouquet to take home for your table to see what you think of them after looking at them for a few days.
  • Options
    Since you are on a strict budget I would be a little lax on the types of flowers and focus more on colors.  Anemones can be expensive, especially if they aren't in season.

So I would find some pictures of bouquets or flower arrangements that you think are pretty and take those to your florist.  Be up front about your budget and see what they suggest.

• Options
    Like what PPs have said - it's fine if you're not an expert on flowers. It's the florist's job to be the expert!  Bring photos of inspiration (Pinterest has a lot of horrible wedding-related ideas, but in the case of flowers it can be useful) and show them to your florist. Then, tell them your budget and a breakdown of what you'll need (1 bouquet for you, 4 BM bouquets, 5 GM bouts, 2 corsages for moms, etc., centerpieces for 10 tables, etc.)  The florist will have suggestions of flower types and let you know what you can afford within your given budget.

I knew nothing about flowers, either, and basically just knew I wanted coral, some greenery, and different textures. My florist chose affordable flowers that were in-season and knocked it out of the park. 
    --

• Options
    My florist had books full of pictures of her work, and I had no idea what I wanted.  So I flipped through them while we chatted, pointed out things I liked, and she asked some questions (venue, time of day, bridesmaid dresses, budget, etc.).  I loved my flowers SO much.

Chances are she's worked with brides in your shoes a bunch of times before, she should be able to steer you to something you love.  And if not, I would try a different vendor.
  • Options
    I was clueless too. This is where Pinterest became so incredibly helpful. Tons and tons of pictures of bouquets. 
    It helped me figure out that I wanted to go with just classic white. 
    My mom was my 'florist' (fake flowers from the craft stores) and it took a lot of playing around with bunches to get to something I liked. Why not try going to your local Michael's or Hobby Lobby or equivalent and play around with fake flowers? Then you'll have an idea of what colors and mix you might like for real flowers from a florist. 

• Options
    Agree with PP's.  I am also clueless when it comes to flowers so I brought swatches from my BM dresses, photos that I liked and my budget so my florist can come up with the details.  If you are flexible on the types of flowers you will get more for your money.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was just in Ocala last Friday...  If you're clueless as to what you want and are on a strict budget, you're in a great place!  Find a local florist whose work you like (look in their cooler and compare it with the prices), and just tell them everything you told us, and let them run with it!  The more picky you are, the more it's going to cost you.  Flexibility is your friend when it comes to all things flowers. Pick a generalized idea for the style of bouquet (focusing not on the blooms) and let the florist go to town to make that vision work within your budget.  Everyone has a budget, be up front about it!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards