Changing your name?

HI ladies! Does anyone know if you need a certified marriage license in order to change your name with social security or can I just use the top half of what I keep? Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Changing your name?

  • edited December 2011
    I was able to use just the part that we had.  It was really a simple/fast thing!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

    TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    edited December 2011
    I was required to have the official stamp on mine when I went to SS. And for the new driver's license as well. But I received my license right after our honeymoon, so it didn't take very long.
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't even try until we got the certified copy. We also had it when we got home from our mini-moon, so it was not a big deal at all. You also need to wait 48 hours between going to SS and then to the MVD to process the name change.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    thanks! That's fast so did you mail in the bottom half of the license and they just mailed you the certified copy? I thought it would take weeks to get the certified copy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5000 Comments 25 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I was told by both our officiant and the lady at the court when we applied for our license that you do have to have a certified copy.  This is also from the SS website regarding name changes for marriage:

    "We can only accept an original or certified copy of a marriage or divorce document."

    Here is the link if you need any more information (LINK)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards