Wedding Woes

Poll IHO Heffa.

edited January 2016 in Wedding Woes

1. Have you ever been on probation for a criminal offense?

2. Has your DH/FI/Current Boo ever been on probation?

3. If you had the choice between 10 years of probation on house arrest or 10 months in jail, which would you choose.

Poll IHO Heffa. 17 votes

Yes
5% 1 vote
Yes
0% 0 votes
3A:10 years on probation.
29% 5 votes
3B:10 months in jail.
64% 11 votes

Re: Poll IHO Heffa.

• Where is HMonkey when I need her? I am bad at polls.

That is all.

• Wait, OP says 10 months vs 10 months but the poll says ten years for HA...?

Neither of us have ever been arrested. H has a misdemeanor for underage drinking but he paid his fine and went on with his life.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Mrs. Cold. I do polls wrong, sorry.

10 years of probation on house arrest or 10 months in jail.

• edited January 2016

Mrs. Cold. I do polls wrong, sorry.

10 years of probation on house arrest or 10 months in jail.

I thought so. Thanks!

ETA: This is hard. At first I'm thinking house arrest, no question but ten years is a hell of a long time. Hmmmmm.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • It would depend on if it was a lindsey lohan bracelet (no drinking allowed) and if I was allowing work release. If I couldn't drink and had to stay in the house 100% of the time, I would go to jail.
  • House arrest, no question. I would finally finish some damn novels - mostly because I could quit at least one day job. Three is too many, apparently. 
  • I can't decide, so Imma stick to never breaking the law and/or fleeing the country if I'm ever even remotely close to any kind of involvement in a crime. Listening to Serial has given me zero faith in the criminal justice system, and I haven't watched Making a Murderer yet, but I'm pretty sure it will reinforce what I already believe. If someone close to me ever dies mysteriously I will disappear faster than the police can even think of me as a person of interest. 
  • teddygirl9teddygirl9 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    Tbh I don't know the difference between parol & house arrest. The only people on HA that I've known still go to work and stuff though. But where I live if you are convicted of a small offence, you can serve weekends in jail and get 'extra credit'. So, go in on Friday night (I believe 6pm) and you are let out Monday AM, and that counts for 4 days vs 2.5. My cousin did this.
    Neither of us have been on parol for anything.
  • TheDuckis said:
    I can't decide, so Imma stick to never breaking the law and/or fleeing the country if I'm ever even remotely close to any kind of involvement in a crime. Listening to Serial has given me zero faith in the criminal justice system, and I haven't watched Making a Murderer yet, but I'm pretty sure it will reinforce what I already believe. If someone close to me ever dies mysteriously I will disappear faster than the police can even think of me as a person of interest. 
    If you want to further your mistrust of the legal system, read the book 'Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption' by Bryan Stevenson.  It's a true book about/by a lawyer that deals with getting people off death row that have been wrongly convicted or committed the crimes when they were kids and really didn't know any better. It's a very interesting, and somewhat disturbing, read.

• 1. No
    2. Yes, he had a DUI before I met him.  He only spent 2 weeks in jail, but had 3 years probation for it.  He won't go anywhere near driving if he's been drinking at all now.
    3. That's a tough one.  Either one would ruin my career, because I'd probably lose my professional licensing.  I'm pretty much a home body though and don't go out much, so I'm tempted to say the 10-years on house arrest.  But, 10 years is a very long time with no vacations or visiting family out of town.  It would probably depend on what else was going on in my life at the time. I may choose the 10 months just to get it over with.

• I have a toddler, no house arrest for me. Someone else to do the cooking and cleaning...Yes please!
  • No criminal offenses for us. I think I'd take 10 years probation. I could do a few months house arrest, though, I think. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm a girl scout, but I can share the "I bailed idiot ex out of jail-worst valentines day ever" story again if need be.
  • What no turtles?? F this noise, I will cut someone for lack of turtles.

Just kidding, I'm to soft for jail :fearful:
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• @GBCK I would love to hear that story. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • GBCK said:
    I'm a girl scout, but I can share the "I bailed idiot ex out of jail-worst valentines day ever" story again if need be.
    Sharing this story is very necessary.

• GBCK said:

I'm a girl scout, but I can share the "I bailed idiot ex out of jail-worst valentines day ever" story again if need be.

Sharing this story is very necessary.

Please?

• alright, I'll see if I have it pre-typed or if I have to start from scratch with it.  Now that I'm out of the sick bed :)
  • So, C&Ped from an old (ooooolllllld) post of mine.  And it's stupidly long because I edit for brevity VERY very poorly, if you haven't noticed.:

Bback when I was young and stupid and in college, I was 'kinda' dating Ex-ass-ferret (EAF). It was an on-again, off again disaster of lean-to relationship, pity, and him fucking w/ my head and lots of lies. So...he was interested, I was trying to keep arm's length but still be friends, it was 'fuzzy'.  If I'd have been more emo and on FB, I would have loved the 'it's complicated' choice.

He had dropped out of school and was living 'at home' w/ his family. (Home was a disaster.  His diagnosed sociopath father was in the midst of divorcing his mother--but they were still living together. But each had a BF/GF. Oh, and there was the new stepsister born about then...there were restraining orders and who was moving out/moving back changed constantly.  So, you can kinda see how saying "dude, I don't want to be friends anymore" would have felt like a really shitty thing to do).  For his sanity, he'd visit college often and I'd let him stay at our place (he was also friends w/ roomie).

So, EAF calls and wants to come visit for the weekend. My 'crap, he is trying to make this into something romantic' radar was alerted and I told him that we were NOT going on a date, but he could come visit--but FTR, I was not going to be there most of the weekend--I'd be driving home on Friday night to go to a family birthday party (roomie signed off on this). 
    He said that was fine, but could we at least get dinner and I (stupidly) said 'sure'. He was finishing work and would come out, take me to dinner (as 'rent' for the weekend) and I'd go home  .So, I called my folks, told them I'd be later than I planned. I skipped dinner at the dining hall and hung out in my apartment. It got later and later...he didn't answer his cell (FTR, he was a liar so the explanation he offered, which I don't remember, may or may not have been truth--I believed it then). I gave up and I ate something (I had next to nothing to eat--I didn't have a food budget because I was on a meal plan.  TMI, I also, at that point, was having real difficulty w/ IBS (not yet diagnosed) so eating on schedule = incredibly important. ANd this flubbed it up BADLY.  I was really REALLY broke so I had no food in the house.  As in, literally none.  I didn't have the cash to go buy eggs the night before.  I could have asked my parents for cash, but I was stubborn.)

Eventually, he calls, claims he got stuck at work or something and he's on his way. He arrives after 8 pm. NOTHING is open because this is wee-tiny town and it's late and it's valentine's day weekend--so the only place in town has a 2 hour wait time. So...he drove me 1/2 hour away to Denny's for food. (Because eh, Dennys --he was to good for the truckstop outside of town I preferred that advertised 'good eats' based on the sign out front--don't judge me, they had INCREDIBLY good biscuits and gravy!)

So...we drive there and, on our way back, we stop at an intersection in a wee tiny town and we stop long enough to have this conversation:
    Me: What's that car doing?
    EAF: I have no idea
    ME: Do they realize they don't have to stop?
    EAF: I guess not
    ME: Drunk?
    EAF: Maybe.

So after waiting for an incredibly long period of time for a car that was stopped in the intersection (the other car = no stopsign. Us = stopsign) he turned in front of the car. (so, this wasn't his fault. which is amazing, he was a HORRID driver. I'm a lead foot, but he was redonk. And he liked to watch DVDs on his car DVD system illegally while driving. He also read while driving--and had a job at the time where he'd drive around all day for a living, and he read a John Grisham novel a week on the road, allegedly 'at stoplights'.)..The moment we turned, the car weirdly stopped car turned on flashers.

Apparently it was a cop car. Cops claimed we did a rolling stop and turned in front of them. bullocks.
    So, they take EAF's license and run it.
    They come back and ask how much cash we have on us. Now, it was phrased so that it sounds asking about fines/bail but...there was a 'vibe'. I"m mostly sure I was being asked for a bribe. Apparently a checkbook {for a check that would have bounced} isn't helpful when your'e asked for a bribe.

So the officer asks EAF to step out of the car...license is apparently suspended. Now, EAF's take on things is that mail was chaos (see the above divorce debacle w/ his parents where his mail went), he paid that speeding ticket and never got any notification of late fees for it. But EAF was a liar so, who knows.
    Regardless, they cuffed him .Takes me 15 minutes to convince the cops that, yes, I CAN drive a stick shift; since EAF is willing to give me his card, ATM card, PIN, etc, that I can drive home, get $ and bail his azz out.

So, I follow the cop car until it disappears (leaving me in the dust--cop car can get away w/ 70 mph on icy backroads in Feb in the arctic north...I, however, cannot). 

I get to an ATM, use EAF's card to get cash (put gas in his car too--he was *this close* to running out of gas. I do now wonder if that was the plan for the 'date'...but I don't think he was planning that well--he ran out of gas all the damn time.  I can think of 3 times he ran out w/ me w/  him--none of which worked out well for him).

I drive back to collegetown, which, conveniently, is where they put EAF. I go in I figure out paperwork and pay his bail--finally get it paid around midinght. EAF is chained to a bench somewhere in the system...so in Feb, in MI, they say they'll let me know when they finish processing.

Okay soo...I sat on the bench in the 'lobby'--the 'lobby' being the 4'x4' area between two sets of doors.Where there was no heat.The bench was between to pillars so I couldn't even hang off the end...I just put my coat over me and curled up on it and tried not to freeze as the door opened constantly and I ahd to make sure I was out of reach of drunks and whomever they were dragging into/out of jail.

Until 4 am.4 am, on valentine's day, as I shivered on a bench in the 'lobby' of the jail, I wondered if I'd ever find this funny...and then they let him out, I went back, slept for 3 hours, and drove home--missing most of my dad's bday party (and I had NOT called my parents who were wondering WTF I was and if I had died.).And I didn't ditch EAF at that point because I was stupid.
    the end.
    And I got smarter.

• 1. Have you ever been on probation for a criminal offense?  Nope.

2. Has your DH/FI/Current Boo ever been on probation?  Nope.

3. If you had the choice between 10 years of probation on house arrest or 10 months in jail, which would you choose.  10 months in jail. . . so I could finally strangle Piper for being so fucking annoying! :-P

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Holy shit, that's one hell of a fucked up Valentine's Day, @GBCK
  • Whoa, gbck. Wooooeeee. So DO you find it funny now, or not yet?

• oh, it's hilarious.
    And I didn't tell my friends at the time, out of respect for EAF's life.  Now they know, and it makes it extra hilarious.

And the Mr. always has the valentine's day out of "well, you didn't have to bail me out of jail".
    Because the bar is that low :-P
    (and I have zero contact w/ EAF because he and I tried to stay friends until I started dating the Mr. and he threatened to run him through w/ some of his not-quite-toy swords and I threatened him w/ a restraining order and he quit talking to me)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards