Honeymoon Discussions

FI changed the whole honeymoon, and I'm excited!

This man.

I came home from work yesterday and FI tells me he changed the whole honeymoon. Ok. I was slightly worried.

Instead of a 7 day stay at a spa resort in Florida, and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, we are taking a cruise! He's booked a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas, a day pass to both Harry Potter worlds when we return, and the spa resort for the night we fly into Florida before the cruise, and the night we finish.

We are going with Royal Caribbean, does anyone have any reviews of them firsthand ?

Re: FI changed the whole honeymoon, and I'm excited!

• Royal Caribbean is a very fine cruise line with a good reputation.  Read the cruise tips I wrote at the top of this board.
    I suggest that you sign up on http://www.cruisecritic.com.  They have lots of passenger reviews and tips.  You can also join the roll call thread for your specific cruise to talk with other passengers who will be on your sailing.
    Do tell people that you are on your honeymoon!  You will get a lot of attention.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you very much!

• At first I was concerned- whoa! WHOA! He changed the trip to HP world!

But then I see he's got it all figured out ;)

Enjoy! 
  • I've cruised Royal and they are awesome. The customer service is top notch and if you take advantage of all the activities on the cruise it's definitely worth it. Go to the dance classes, the pool deck events and the shows. It really makes a difference on what kind of cruise experience you will have. 
  • You'll have a great time! We went on a cruise last year and my tip is to look at the excursions and things that interest you on the island, and then just book a private taxi and do it yourself for half the price. It's awesome to be alone, on your own schedule rather than stuck with a group. Also buy onboard or bring a large gym-type water bottle and fill it with water/lemonade at the buffet each morning to bring out with you. You'll want to stay hydrated and it's easier and cheaper than finding drinks on the island (like if you take a taxi to a remote beach).

• Thanks so much! Those are great tips.

@CMGragain do I still need a passport if the cruise leaves and returns to the same port ? I asked my travel agent and he said I could get one through him. Unsure if he just wanted me to spend money, or if required.

• jenna8984 said:
    You'll have a great time! We went on a cruise last year and my tip is to look at the excursions and things that interest you on the island, and then just book a private taxi and do it yourself for half the price. It's awesome to be alone, on your own schedule rather than stuck with a group. Also buy onboard or bring a large gym-type water bottle and fill it with water/lemonade at the buffet each morning to bring out with you. You'll want to stay hydrated and it's easier and cheaper than finding drinks on the island (like if you take a taxi to a remote beach).
    You can typically pre-order a case of bottled water for your room at a reasonable price.  It will be in there waiting for you when you board and it's nice to have bottled water available when you want it, without having to go to buffet.  Plus, it's nice not having to worry about carrying on cases of soda or water when you board.

And I second the large water bottle or travel mug (ideally a nice Bubba or Yeti mug to keep stuff cold).  Soda and other drinks are expensive on the ships.  On our last cruise, DH got the expensive soda package but I just filled up on iced tea at the buffet or drank bottled water the whole trip.

• Thanks so much! Those are great tips. @CMGragain do I still need a passport if the cruise leaves and returns to the same port ? I asked my travel agent and he said I could get one through him. Unsure if he just wanted me to spend money, or if required.
    If your cruise embarks and returns to a USA port, you do not need a passport.  Check your cruise site for information.  They will have a whole page devoted to the documents you will need.  Usually you need a certified copy (not just a xerox copy)  of your birth certificate and a photo ID, though.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you! I checked the website, but it just gave a standard list of acceptable documents, but it did not state what would be needed if it embarked and returned to a US port. I was just concerned as my post office has a current 10 week wait on all passports, and that I would not have enough time to also get my marriage license as the post office keeps the birth certificate. This eleviates a HUGE amount of stress!

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    From the RC website:
    • United States citizens on cruises that begin and end at the same port in the United States can use a original government-issued picture ID (i.e. driver's license) AND an original government-issued birth certificate or original Naturalization Certificate.
    • Minors under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original government-issued, original or certified copy of his or her birth certificate; a Consular Report of Birth Abroad Issued by DOA; or Certificate of Naturalization issued by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are NOT acceptable. Military identification cards, voter registration cards or Social Security cards are NOT considered proof of citizenship.

Your travel agent can answer a lot of your questions.  Ask your FI which agent he used.  Have a great time!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thank you! I checked the website, but it just gave a standard list of acceptable documents, but it did not state what would be needed if it embarked and returned to a US port. I was just concerned as my post office has a current 10 week wait on all passports, and that I would not have enough time to also get my marriage license as the post office keeps the birth certificate. This eleviates a HUGE amount of stress!
    CMG covered the documents/passport, but FYI, there are many other places you can go to get a passport photo taken (ie AAA, pharmacies, etc).  The current wait time is 6 weeks, or 3 weeks for expedited.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    jenna8984 said:
    You'll have a great time! We went on a cruise last year and my tip is to look at the excursions and things that interest you on the island, and then just book a private taxi and do it yourself for half the price. It's awesome to be alone, on your own schedule rather than stuck with a group. Also buy onboard or bring a large gym-type water bottle and fill it with water/lemonade at the buffet each morning to bring out with you. You'll want to stay hydrated and it's easier and cheaper than finding drinks on the island (like if you take a taxi to a remote beach).
    You can typically pre-order a case of bottled water for your room at a reasonable price.  It will be in there waiting for you when you board and it's nice to have bottled water available when you want it, without having to go to buffet.  Plus, it's nice not having to worry about carrying on cases of soda or water when you board.

And I second the large water bottle or travel mug (ideally a nice Bubba or Yeti mug to keep stuff cold).  Soda and other drinks are expensive on the ships.  On our last cruise, DH got the expensive soda package but I just filled up on iced tea at the buffet or drank bottled water the whole trip.
    There is absolutely no reason to bring bottled water onto a cruise ship, or to buy it.  Their tap water is more pure than any bottled water you can buy.  Most cabins have a small refrigerator.  Just fill up your own water bottle from your sink the night before a shore destination, and chill it in your refrigerator over night.
    You will not be allowed to bring sodas on board.  They will be confiscated.  Ditto with beer or any other alcohol.  You are allowed to bring on board two bottles of wine or champagne per cabin.  This is a good idea, since their wine prices are similar to restaurant wine prices.  You cannot take them into the dining room with you or they will charge you a "corkage fee", which eliminates your savings.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards