Budget Weddings Forum

Figuring out the Reception Meal?

I am going to be getting married at a bed and breakfast. We'll be having our rehearsal dinner on Saturday night (rootbeer floats and pizza.) Then on Sunday morning from 8 to 10 the b&b has a brunch/breakfast. I want the ceremony to start at 12:30. We'll have *maybe* 25 people total. (We'll do pictures before the ceremony.)

The reception should start by 1:30 or so. We're thinking of doing Chinese food (either catered by a restaurant or bought at a local grocery store.) Most of our family/guests are vegetarian, so Chinese food is an easy way to offer options. (Plus my fiance LOVES Chinese food.)

What I'm not sure about is how big of a meal I should have for people? Since most of them will be staying at the b&b and have had a good brunch  only a few hours prior. It'll be a dry reception and no dancing - so probably only last til maybe 3. (We have the space til 4.)

All of our events are taking place in the same b&b.

Re: Figuring out the Reception Meal?

• Honestly, I would treat it as a regular meal - if what this was getting at was potentially having your lunch be on the lighter side because of the brunch.  Don't factor in the brunch necessarily.  If you have people eating brunch at 8, they'll be ready for a full meal by 1:30.  Hell, even at 10 they might be ready.  And you don't know how much they'll eat at brunch.  I personally have a hard time eating first thing in the morning.  I would likely only have a cup of coffee and some yogurt.

If the Chinese restaurant regularly caters, they should be able to advise you on appropriate amounts for the size group you have.
  • I am going to be getting married at a bed and breakfast. We'll be having our rehearsal dinner on Saturday night (rootbeer floats and pizza.) Then on Sunday morning from 8 to 10 the b&b has a brunch/breakfast. I want the ceremony to start at 12:30. We'll have *maybe* 25 people total. (We'll do pictures before the ceremony.)

The reception should start by 1:30 or so. We're thinking of doing Chinese food (either catered by a restaurant or bought at a local grocery store.) Most of our family/guests are vegetarian, so Chinese food is an easy way to offer options. (Plus my fiance LOVES Chinese food.)

What I'm not sure about is how big of a meal I should have for people? Since most of them will be staying at the b&b and have had a good brunch  only a few hours prior. It'll be a dry reception and no dancing - so probably only last til maybe 3. (We have the space til 4.)

All of our events are taking place in the same b&b.
    I agree with PP's.  I would treat it as a regular meal.  Besides, next day leftover Chinese is the best part of ordering Chinese food!

Your rehearsal dinner has me now craving a black cow!
  • Thanks everyone.
  • Just wanted to say I love all your menu choices, @Knottie1452988973!  And to ditto PP's and add that if people sleep in and skip brunch, they'll be happy you have a full lunch.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards