Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Catholic Ceremony Songs

Hi everyone! I think I found two songs I really like from sites that list the author and the title and shows me snippets of the song. But I can't find the lyrics anywhere, and I have to give them to my cantor. And sheet music too! Google and Youtube have not been much help! The songs are:

where there is love- David Haas
today and tomorrow- Lori True

Re: Catholic Ceremony Songs

• Options
    You need to clear this music with your priest.  Most Catholic weddings I have attended do not allow anything except religious music.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I think I found two songs I really like from sites that list the author and the title and shows me snippets of the song. But I can't find the lyrics anywhere, and I have to give them to my cantor. And sheet music too! Google and Youtube have not been much help! The songs are:

where there is love- David Haas
    today and tomorrow- Lori True
    CMG is correct.  You cannot use secular music in a Catholic ceremony.  We just found all of our songs from the Missal.  We used our favorite hymns for some songs and then a Latin song our cantor is famous for singing - Sante Angelus (sp?).
  • Options
    If you need sheet music, you generally have to buy it.

Try Googling the names with "sheet music" and you'll find some places that sell it - you may even find a pfd copy so you don't have to wait for shipping. 
  • Options
    Check with your parish musician. They usually have a "catalog" of songs they do for weddings. The first song you referenced is published by OCP, the second by GIA. Both of these are common Catholic music publishers. Your church's music director likely has an established agreement with them and could help you get the music.
  • Options
    Musicnotes.com is a very popular site for sheet music.
  • Options
    Hi OP!  I am actually a cantor for weddings :) I have sung "where there is love" at a Catholic wedding Service (not liturgy) as it is in the list of approved songs for weddings in my parish. If you are still looking for the sheet music, and have gotten the songs approved by the priest, I can check my binder to see if I have it.  Not sure if you're still looking for those pieces! 
  • Options
    I am getting married Catholic and both these songs are also on the "Approved List" of songs at my church, so at least it seems that some parishes are responsive to these songs. As other PPs, have noted, however, you need to talk to the parish director of music or your priest to confirm these songs are okay. I think it may depend where in the ceremony you would like them performed. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards