Chit Chat

Changing name on student loans

I'm a long-time lurker and don't post very often. I woke up with a burning question this morning that I should have addressed months ago, but I kept putting it off. Who better to ask than TK?

I realized I didn't change my name after getting married on one of my student loans. All my other information is perfectly up to date except for my last name. Now that tax time is coming up, I'm worried that might affect my filing if my maiden name is on that one document. I have contacted my servicer to start the name change process, but it's Saturday morning, so I likely won't get a response until Monday and I'm not sure if that would slow down the tax document process so that I wouldn't get it in time to file. Is this something I need to worry about, or will no one care that one student loan document has my  maiden name on it? H and I are both on our mortage, but we bought that before getting married and the bank suggested I not change my name on that until we sell or refinance or do something with it, so maybe it's not an issue. I should have dealt with this long ago, but I got burnt out on changing my  name on thing and let this one slide. 

Re: Changing name on student loans

• I never changed my name on my mortgage and it was a never an issue for taxes.   If the SSN's link up you should be okay.

**I'm assuming you are in the US.  If not then i'm not sure if it differs in other countries.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I kept my student loan in my maiden name until it was paid off. It was not a problem.
  • Ditto Lynda. My mortgage is still in my maiden name, and I've been fine. As long as your SSN is there, you're good.
  • So if you have Navient for your loans and you've changed you Name on your SSN it doesn't update automatically. It shouldn't cause problems filing your taxes, but if you have a repayment plan based on your tax filing, and you use the system that links your returns with the repayment application you may have some problems (I did).

Navient told me the easiest way to change your name is to scan your SS card and write on the same page what your full maiden name was and your changed name. Then upload the document through their system. Once you do this it will take a few days to change in their system. Then your name should be the same as you SS card and you can link with the repayment system.

Again this is what worked with Navient so other servicers are probably different. If you have Navient and have other questions let me know. I'd be happy to share what worked for me.
  • Thanks everyone! I appreciate the input and feel like I don't really need to worry about it now. I wish I could just pay off these student loans and not have to worry about those either, but I think I will have to be patient with that. Thank you!
  • You shouldn't have a problem. It's an alias of yours and you used to be that person, so worst case scenario you may have to prove you were that person, which a marriage license would do.

I didn't change my name when I got married, but I did change my name when I was 20 and it was during college and I had used both names all my life  (I was born with my mom's name, because she wasn't married to my dad, but when they got married my name never got changed).  It's a little different situation, but I had documents with both names. It's the ssn# that matters the most.

• You shouldn't have a problem. If anything, you might have to produce your marriage certificate. Otherwise, student loans are generally linked with your social insurance #, so they probably won't even notice ;).

Also, you can go by more than one name, as long as you aren't doing it for fraudulent purposes (for example, women who keep their maiden name on career related items). 
  • I was married 1.5 years ago and never changed name on my student loans.  Never had a problem. You should be fine.

• So the problems I had were linking my student loans and my tax information for repayment options. Because I had changed my name through SS first when I tried to link through the online system it wouldn't recognize my student loans because they were under my maiden name. Even though the SSN was the same. It's ridiculous, but I did have some problems with the names not matching. Good luck.
  • If only not changing your name on your student loans makes them go away ;)
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• So the problems I had were linking my student loans and my tax information for repayment options. Because I had changed my name through SS first when I tried to link through the online system it wouldn't recognize my student loans because they were under my maiden name. Even though the SSN was the same. It's ridiculous, but I did have some problems with the names not matching. Good luck.

Yeah, I had the same problem. I was on the phone for hours trying to get it straightened out.

Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I had trouble with one of my loans because after we got married my husband and I opened a new joint checking and closed our old ones. I tried to update the new bank account and they wouldn't accept it b/c the new bank account had my married name and their account had my maiden name. I was trying to switch to my married name but they were required photo ID with my married name and that takes 3-4 weeks in my state. After a few hours on the phone I got it straightened out. 

I have another loan that I paid off before we got married last year and they sent me my tax document with my maiden name. I'm hoping that I don't have any issues but it sounds like according to PP it shouldn't be an issue. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards