Attire & Accessories Forum

Help! My groom wants a purple jacket with black pants - where do I find this?

Hello knotties!

My groom has envisioned himself wearing a purple suit jacket with black lapels and black shirt, tie and pants for our wedding day. 

I've been searching online and visiting suit/tuxedo rental shops to try and find something akin to this to no avail. Once in a while I may find a full purple suit, but it leans more towards a burgundy usually, which doesn't work with the bridesmaid dresses in shade, as it would need to be a much darker purple or with a more bluish undertone - Dahlia from Dessy http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/d586/

I did find one Hugo Boss jacket from Nordstrom...unfortunately his size isn't available. He's pretty tall and needs a size 48L in the jacket.

Does anyone know where I can find something like this? My groom is willing to wear a more normal suit now but seems so resigned over this and it just breaks my heart...I figure that if I get to wear the princess gown of my dreams that day, he should be able to get his purple jacket.

Re: Help! My groom wants a purple jacket with black pants - where do I find this?

• Have you tried the big and tall shops?  

I found some on Ebay for 48L also.  While most of them were suits, they didn't cost that much. It would be worth it to get the suit and not use the pants.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Are you really OK with this?  Try a theatrical costume shop.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Maybe get it made bespoke? Probably $$$ though.
  • I know this may sound a bit ridiculous, but actually @CMGragain's idea may not be too off. When I hear purple dress jacket, I think Batman's Joker. Some cosplay outfit designers you can find online do quality work and you might be able to find what you're looking for there. I'm 100% serious. You have to admit, it would make for a great story! Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    I was quite serious.  Theatrical shops can find many things like this.  Just look at the gif on @tigetlily6's post.
    I just have to say that I do think this is a bad idea, though.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Apologies, @CMGragain, I wasn't sure. But I agree, costume stores/ designers are seriously a great place to look for colored suits, if that is what you're looking for. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Most of what I've seen looks bad or just doesn't look to be the right shade. Trying to avoid him looking like the Joker marrying Harley Quinn :smile: 

I'm okay with it if it looks high fashion. Anything less simply will not do! I work in the bridal fashion industry on the dresses side so I'm naturally a bit picky.
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Bright purple is a hard colour to find in formalwear. You are much more likely to find burgundy or aubergine- which in my opinion would match the dahlia better. The thing about matching is you want it different enough to show that it was a cognisant choice. Thomas Pink does really nice navy jacket with black shawl neck DJs that could look very cool with the plum dresses. What time of year is it? You can get away with a lot of coloured smoking jackets if you do it in a rich fabric- like a velvet aubergine from Dolce and Gabanna that would look great for a winter wedding.

Where the midnight blue Tom Ford could work for a more year-round look:

ETF: typo
  • I actually had a place in mind for you, but it burned down last winter and I don't think they have re-opened :(  They were a pretty popular suit store in Philly and they had a multitude of colors available.

I do love LondonLisa's idea of going with a more eggplant shade for your FI.  It will stand up against your BM dress colors.

Also, what will the GM be wearing?  You aren't making them purchase a purple suit jacket, are you?

• You might also want to look into having it custom made? Not sure of the cost because I'm not familiar with the area but that may be an option for you?
  • It's going to be on July 31st of this year, outdoors. I did suggest that velvet would be too heavy for a summer wedding (when this started, he said that he wanted a smoking jacket) but he says that he doesn't think so/would deal with it.

Eggplant would be lovely! We don't want him to directly match the bridesmaids, just for the colors to coordinate. The groomsmen would be in black suits, but with various pops of purple (one groomsmen gets a tie, another gets a vest, etc.) with the rest being black.
  • Also those photos are great! He'd love that Dolce and Gabbana one. If I can find that in his size, it would be perfect!
  • Here you go: https://sixstaruniforms.com/our-shop/1317-m-purplemen-s-purple-eton-jacket-with-black-lapel-product-details

Honestly though, if he wants this so badly, why doesn't he just find it himself? It's sweet of you to shop for him, but it's his wheelhouse.

I have to agree with others that it kind of looks like a cartoon character or something a magician would wear.

*********************************************************************************

• I know they aren't purple but this is the first thing I thought of when OP said purple coat with black lapels...

• What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm really wondering if this is for real.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I went to a friend's wedding where the groom wore a jacket that sounds very similar to what you are wanting, but in blue. It was to match the bride's blue dress. They got his jacket custom made at O'Connor (local suit store with custom tailoring available). He has worn it multiple times since the wedding. Initially, I thought the idea of a blue suit jacket (like the blue dress) was very different, but they were so happy about their choices.

• White button down shirt and tan linen pants, OK.  Purple tux?  That's a whole different realm.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    White button down shirt and tan linen pants, OK.  Purple tux?  That's a whole different realm.
    The OP said he wants a purple jacket and black pants.  So that will cut down on the purple.

But again, who cares if he does?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • He certainly can choose it, but I find it very odd.  Reminds me of the '70s.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    I'm really wondering if this is for real.
    Seriously, why do you even post on this board? You just shit all over everyone's ideas. Any bride or groom that is not wearing what you deem as appropriate, you tell the they're making a mistake and that people will judge them. Enough already! If you want to piss in people's cheerios, go somewhere else. 
  • STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2016
    Bright colored suits aren't typical in my social circles but there are lots of communities where men do wear more colors than black, grey, and navy! No reason to think this isn't real. Not everyone is a WASP.
  • Right, I'm assuming they're a fairly fashion forward couple and I think it sounds cool and all of the real photos like @LondonLisa 's look great!
  • I actually bought my SO a jacket like this from Guess last xmas (2014). I don't see it available any more, but it is a nice look IMO.

• I actually love the look!  As long as you get a good quality and its not cheaply made or a tacky color (not sure I love the bright purple) I think it could look very classy and nice!  Sorry I don't have any suggestions on where to go!  Good Luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards