Favors

Skipping Stone Wedding Favors - Lakeside Ceremony & Reception Venue`

Hi Knotties!

I'm looking for some creative advice for my wedding favors. We're getting married at a beautiful venue on a lake, and I want to use skipping stones for my favors. I plan to put stones in a cute little muslin bag (inspiration from this Style Me Pretty post: http://www.stylemepretty.com/2015/08/11/smp-blogger-bride-diy-skipping-stone-favor-bags/).

Instead of just having "skipping stones" on the outside of the bag (I'll be getting a custom stamp made), I wanted something a little cuter. I would even prefer to have our names and wedding date and have a small sign on the table that says skipping stones, but even then I'm looking for something more...like a cute play on words! I was thinking of "skipping on to forever" or something like that. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Re: Skipping Stone Wedding Favors - Lakeside Ceremony & Reception Venue`

• While I admit in theory this may be a cute idea for a lake wedding, I think a lot of posters may chime in that this seems like a strange favor, and a lot of guests probably won't get it or, even if they do, be enamored by the cuteness as much as you. How much are all those stones going to cost you? And how many guests are really going to use them/ take them? I can occasionally skip a stone across the surface of water, but not consistently. My arthritic mother? She would have no use for these at all, since she can't throw anything without hurting her joints. A common suggestion is to try to get edible favors for guests, since those are often universally enjoyed and used. 

If you are really set on this idea, that's fine, but before you spend a lot of money on rocks and custom muslin bags, just wanted to put out some practical considerations. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • They'll cost less than $1 each. I'm thinking of them as a little something that will make for a cute detail. I envision the bags in a cute basket somewhere. It's not like they're going to be all over or at everyone's seats. I certainly don't expect people to cherish these rocks forever, and I am completely aware they are not the most usable item in the world.

We're also paying for a photo booth for our guests and many, many reception upgrades, and I haven't come across any other favors that knock my socks off. We're basically on the "let's not have favors" bandwagon, but I will still do these because they make me happy. We're having a June wedding, so chocolate or any other melty mess is not option for us.

I just wanted to see if you might have any cute ideas for what to put on the outside of the bag.

Thanks!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Um, I think I would dump these out by the side of the road.  People don't need useless nick-nacks from your wedding.  There are plenty of edibles that are not chocolate, and resist melting.  How about cookies-to-go?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Why would anyone want a bag of rocks?
  • Hi Knotties!

I'm looking for some creative advice for my wedding favors. We're getting married at a beautiful venue on a lake, and I want to use skipping stones for my favors. I plan to put stones in a cute little muslin bag (inspiration from this Style Me Pretty post: http://www.stylemepretty.com/2015/08/11/smp-blogger-bride-diy-skipping-stone-favor-bags/).

Instead of just having "skipping stones" on the outside of the bag (I'll be getting a custom stamp made), I wanted something a little cuter. I would even prefer to have our names and wedding date and have a small sign on the table that says skipping stones, but even then I'm looking for something more...like a cute play on words! I was thinking of "skipping on to forever" or something like that. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
    I don't think people are going to want to keep bags of rocks-regardless of how "cute" you find them.  They might even find the "cuteness" off-putting.

Edible favors are most likely to be appreciated.
  • The hell am I supposed to do with a bag of rocks?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • They'll cost less than $1 each. I'm thinking of them as a little something that will make for a cute detail. I envision the bags in a cute basket somewhere. It's not like they're going to be all over or at everyone's seats. I certainly don't expect people to cherish these rocks forever, and I am completely aware they are not the most usable item in the world.

We're also paying for a photo booth for our guests and many, many reception upgrades, and I haven't come across any other favors that knock my socks off. We're basically on the "let's not have favors" bandwagon, but I will still do these because they make me happy. We're having a June wedding, so chocolate or any other melty mess is not option for us.

I just wanted to see if you might have any cute ideas for what to put on the outside of the bag.

Thanks!
    I think the bolded is the point of question. From what I've gathered through lurking, it's absolutely fine not to do favors, so long as you are being a good host otherwise (i.e., provide comfortable seating, food, and refreshments for your guests in a timely fashion). 

But if you are doing favors, the whole point of favors is that they are gifts for the guests... 

I enjoy collecting cute little pinecones. My wedding is going to be woodland themed. But I highly doubt my guests would appreciate a bag of pinecones. Just saying. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Here is the thing about most favors. Most people are going to look at them and realize you spent money there. Most people might be a little upset if you spend money on rocks when that money could have been placed elsewhere for guests comfort. Most favors (outside of edible) is money that could be used to upgrade the bar, add an extra app, etc. So ask yourself, could the money I'm spending here go to something that actually benefits the guest or do I have enough money after treating my guests to buy some rocks that will probably just sit in a basket?
  • Here's the thing. IF I find myself wanting to bring home a bag of rocks for future use (maybe I live by a lake and need someplace to keep the skipping stones I collect there), I am not going to want your name and wedding date on the bag. I would want it as pictured.

0-0.5% of your guests will want this afterwards, and probably the majority will not even want it for your wedding. Just have a basket of rocks if you want people to be able to skip stones, and put any extra money towards hosting them better.
  • I would leave these in the cute basket.

• I like the idea of just having a basket of stones for guests to skip. As a guest I may enjoy that for a bit but I'm probably not taking a bag home. However if you really want the cute bags maybe having them to the side in case anyone wants to fill them with rocks to take home can. I can see children loving that but I don't know if you're having children at your wedding. 

If you've already upgraded everything possible then I don't see any harm in these favors except they probably won't get taken by very many people. As for a cute saying what's wrong with the one in your original post "Skipping to Forever" I think that's fine.

Alternatively you could probably find little skipping stone shaped cookies or maybe rock candy and have them on a table with some skipping stones for decoration and I bet guests would like that. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the idea of just having a basket of stones for guests to skip. As a guest I may enjoy that for a bit but I'm probably not taking a bag home. However if you really want the cute bags maybe having them to the side in case anyone wants to fill them with rocks to take home can. I can see children loving that but I don't know if you're having children at your wedding. 

If you've already upgraded everything possible then I don't see any harm in these favors except they probably won't get taken by very many people. As for a cute saying what's wrong with the one in your original post "Skipping to Forever" I think that's fine.

Alternatively you could probably find little skipping stone shaped cookies or maybe rock candy and have them on a table with some skipping stones for decoration and I bet guests would like that. 
    This is a great alternative. 

OP I would not understand why you were giving me a bag of rocks, but the rock candy would be delicious.
  • I think you are going to end up with almost all of your bags of rocks at the end of the night.  Please re-think this.

Also, are you thinking your guests will skip these stones at the lake where your reception is?  Skipping stones can actually be a bit hazardous because it can change a current, block food sources, and other potential problems.

• I gave out bags of rocks for favors, but they were CHOCOLATE rocks. We used a lot of river rocks in our decor, so they were fitting. And delicious. 

Seriously, OP, it's cute and goes with your lake wedding, but I would just have skipping stones available for the location, not to take home as a favor b/c yeah....bag of rocks. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • If you are otherwise hosting your guests well, and these bags of stones make you happy, then I say go for it! Just realize 99% of your guests will probably leave them behind.... what will you do with them afterward? Is the cost worth it to you? 

If it's the lakeside feel you are going for, I think using larger stones/rocks as part of your decor would do the trick. 

P.S. I cannot skip a stone across the water to save my life! 
  • Cute to have maybe next to the lake or a bag or two at a table but I wouldn't provide one bag for everyone or your going to have a lot of rocks left over 
  • Just because they are "cute" rocks in a "cute" bag in a "cute" basket doesn't make them a good favor. Considering how much you're focusing on the "cute" factor, it seems like you want these in order to make your wedding more 'Pinterest-perfect' (which isn't always a good thing). That's not a favor for your guests - it's a self-serving decor item. There's a difference.
    --

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards