Wedding Etiquette Forum

Etiquette Faux Pas? Or Courtesy? (repost in right forum)

2»

Re: Etiquette Faux Pas? Or Courtesy? (repost in right forum)

• Catholic here too. We go to church Sat and Sun of Easter weekend. I wonder if perhaps the ones questioning the date are catholic. In our parish anyway they will not let you get married that weekend.  I think you did everything ok. You gave them PLENTY of notice. Like everyone else said just sit back and relax. It's up to them now to make their choices. 
  • To be honest, it seems odd to me to have a wedding on Easter weekend, but that's just me. However, you have done all the right things, and if people choose not to come--for whatever reason, it is what it is.

Not everyone celebrates Easter. My family does Easter dinner, but we aren't super religious (I'm an atheist). I've gone to bridal showers on Easter weekend, but never a wedding. 

The fact is, the OP gave people a heads up and they forgot. That's not her problem.

• To be honest, it seems odd to me to have a wedding on Easter weekend, but that's just me. However, you have done all the right things, and if people choose not to come--for whatever reason, it is what it is.

Not everyone celebrates Easter. My family does Easter dinner, but we aren't super religious (I'm an atheist). I've gone to bridal showers on Easter weekend, but never a wedding. 

The fact is, the OP gave people a heads up and they forgot. That's not her problem.
    Yep, pretty much this. I wouldn't go (not only do I celebrate Easter, but working for a church I have to work on the Saturday before) but that doesn't mean it wouldn't make sense to have a wedding that weekend for a lot of people and their VIPs.
  • I understand the importance of Easter in the Catholic faith, but I still think it's pretty rare for someone to refuse to attend a [non-catholic] wedding because it is Holy Saturday. No, you can't get married that day in the church, but there's no ban on attending a wedding outside of the church that day.

I guess I just find it really surprising that someone who is so devout that they wouldn't attend a wedding on that Saturday wouldn't 1) know when Easter was already and 2) respond that it was a non-issue when OP first mentioned it. I think OP's guests are being difficult for no reason. 
  • I understand the importance of Easter in the Catholic faith, but I still think it's pretty rare for someone to refuse to attend a [non-catholic] wedding because it is Holy Saturday. No, you can't get married that day in the church, but there's no ban on attending a wedding outside of the church that day.

I guess I just find it really surprising that someone who is so devout that they wouldn't attend a wedding on that Saturday wouldn't 1) know when Easter was already and 2) respond that it was a non-issue when OP first mentioned it. I think OP's guests are being difficult for no reason. 
    Catholic families take Easter very, very seriously and the prep work involved for Easter meals and celebrations sometimes require needing that Saturday. Plus, many attend a sunrise Easter service. If the families need to travel for the OP's wedding or won't be getting back until late the night before Easter, I can understand declining and it doesn't make them "difficult." 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards