Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Catholic Saturday morning wedding

My fiancé and I must have our wedding on a Saturday in order to work around his spring and summer semesters. I envisioned a morning ceremony around 11 AM followed by a 3 hour brunch reception about 15 min away. He thinks it should begin at 1 PM as he thinks 11 is too early and would rush everyone. I think it would be nice to end earlier so our guests still have their evenings.

Any advice or suggestions? Would one work significantly better?

Re: Catholic Saturday morning wedding

• Check with your local priest or parish secretary. You may not have an option depending on what time the Saturday morning Mass is. I know our Catholic church only offers weddings at 1pm. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Our priest said any time before 1 pm is fine.
  • my sister had a 10:30am wedding with a noon reception (catholic mass 1 hr + 20 min drive to venue).   It was a blast.   Full meal, bar, dancing.    one of the best weddings I've attended.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • My fiancé and I must have our wedding on a Saturday in order to work around his spring and summer semesters. I envisioned a morning ceremony around 11 AM followed by a 3 hour brunch reception about 15 min away. He thinks it should begin at 1 PM as he thinks 11 is too early and would rush everyone. I think it would be nice to end earlier so our guests still have their evenings. Any advice or suggestions? Would one work significantly better?
    I think it sounds awesome.  It might pose a small burden on your VIP's.  If you plan on having hair and make up done, you will need to start fairly early.  It might be hard to find a salon that starts early enough for you.  Taking family and bridal pictures before mass will require some time as well.

Even if you started at 1:00, with your timeline, everyone would be on their way by 5:00 or so again. 

Do you have many guests that would have a far drive?  A 1:00 PM start might help OOT guests not have to wake up at dawn to arrive, and yet still leave plenty of early evening to return home again.
  • The vast majority of our guests live in town, and we'd most likely take pictures outdoors at the reception site while our guests have a cocktail hour
  • My daughter had a morning ceremony with a brunch reception, serving food, mimosas, and featuring some dancing, too.  Very budget friendly and elegant!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Love the idea! What time did her ceremony begin?
  • Just keep in mind that a morning wedding probably means getting your hair and make up done very early. 

• I don't think that's too early at all. What you have planned sounds great. 

I had a Saturday afternoon wedding - ceremony started at 12. It was perfect. 
  • Viczaesar said:
    Just keep in mind that a morning wedding probably means getting your hair and make up done very early. 
    This.  I had a 4:30pm wedding and me, my two BMs and my MIL started hair and makeup at 8:30 in the morning.  So as long as you are okay with getting up super early to start getting ready, then go for it.

• Viczaesar said:
    Just keep in mind that a morning wedding probably means getting your hair and make up done very early. 
    This.  I had a 4:30pm wedding and me, my two BMs and my MIL started hair and makeup at 8:30 in the morning.  So as long as you are okay with getting up super early to start getting ready, then go for it.
    For my 11:30 wedding start, I have to be ready by 7:00. So, yes, be prepared for the early morning start! Otherwise, though, it's not weird to do an earlier wedding.
  • I'd love to attend an 11 a.m. ceremony and brunch reception, especially if it's local for me. A 1:00 ceremony would be fine, too. It wouldn't make much difference to me, as a guest.

• Can you just split the difference with your FI and have a noon start time?  Marriage is all about compromise, so you might as well start now!  It seems like you are fine with getting started early in the morning, but it sounds like your FI is not.  So try and split the difference.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Love the idea! What time did her ceremony begin?
    I think it was 11:00AM.  She had her hairdresser come to the hotel where she and her bridesmaids were staying early in the morning.  It was not a problem getting ready in time.  She and her new husband were happy to have the evening to themselves.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I got married at an 11:30AM ceremony and everyone loved it!  I did have to call around a bit to find a salon that was open, but I was able to find one about 10 minutes from my venue (ceremony and reception were on the same sight, so no excessive driving).  They opened at 7AM for us and we had a team of three hair stylist and a MUA that got through everyone (4 BM's, 2 Moms and Me) by 9:15. 

That still left us time to take some BP shots and some pre-wedding shots with my parents before the ceremony.  We did the rest during the cocktail hour.  Our photographer was there at 9AM, so she started with the GM and the Grooms family until all us Ladies were ready.  It worked well since most of the guys didn't need as much time as us ladies did!

• H and I got married at 10 or 11 (I forget which) with a lunch reception immediately following. My mom worked at a salon at the time and she and a coworker did our hair. The reception was burgers, fries, and milkshakes and is still remembered by our friends and families as one of the best weddings they've attended.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards