Wedding Party

MOH's 10th anniversary 2 days before my wedding - need ideas

My best friend, who is my MOH, will be bringing her mother, husband, and three very young kids to Indiana from Utah for my wedding.  They will be in town during their 10th wedding anniversary, and I know they have been trying to figure out for some time what they would do for this particular anniversary.  Although I know she is over the moon excited about bringing the whole family, I still feel like she will be sacrificing her anniversary plans, even if in reality that might not be true.  Her mother is custom making my wedding dress, and her kids will also be in the wedding - the whole family is so very special to me!

Here's where I need help - I want to do something very nice for my best friend and her husband.  At the wedding, I will make a special toast to them.  We are not having dancing beyond the first dance, father/daughter, and mother/son, so I was thinking about having a dance additionally for anniversaries of that month, since we will have my best friend's and my grandparents' anniversaries within a few days of the wedding.  I think that is probably good for what I can do during the wedding, but what ideas for otherwise?  Our budget isn't huge, but I thought about paying for a night in a very nice hotel and watching the kids.  I also thought about putting together some wonderful food (cooking is a favorite pastime of ours) and serving it to them at my place.

Does anyone have any other ideas of something special I could do for them?

Re: MOH's 10th anniversary 2 days before my wedding - need ideas

• Okay, definitely good thoughts about not including more dancing!  Thank you!
  • Ditto Maggie.  Volunteer to watch their kids and send them out on the town for the night.  I think they will appreciate that a lot more than a special dance at your wedding. 

I also think it would be odd to have an anniversary dance for only the couples for your wedding month.  I'd be a little miffed if our month didn't get followed up at some point.  And since you are limiting all dancing, I'd be bummed when some couples (other than the B&G and parents) got to dance, but I couldn't with my H.

• Ditto Maggie.  Volunteer to watch their kids and send them out on the town for the night.  I think they will appreciate that a lot more than a special dance at your wedding. 

I also think it would be odd to have an anniversary dance for only the couples for your wedding month.  I'd be a little miffed if our month didn't get followed up at some point.  And since you are limiting all dancing, I'd be bummed when some couples (other than the B&G and parents) got to dance, but I couldn't with my H.

Bolded: Maybe I'm reading wrong but if they live in Indiana and you live in Utah I wouldn't offer to watch her kids the week of my wedding. Knowing myself I would stress myself out so much having to babysit when you're already super busy.

• While they're in town, offer to watch their kids and treat them to dinner. 
  • lnixon8 said:

Ditto Maggie.  Volunteer to watch their kids and send them out on the town for the night.  I think they will appreciate that a lot more than a special dance at your wedding. 

Bolded: Maybe I'm reading wrong but if they live in Indiana and you live in Utah I wouldn't offer to watch her kids the week of my wedding. Knowing myself I would stress myself out so much having to babysit when you're already super busy.
    OP insinuated that MOH and her family were coming into town early.  Unless it is a heavy DIY wedding, there really isn't much that needs to be done.  I easily could have babysat for a few hours that week.  I didn't mean that OP should fly to MOH's state to babysit.
  • I agree with Maggie, its a little rude to your guests to dance yourself but then not allow them to dance. I've never been to a wedding like that and I would be shocked to find out only the B&G get to dance.
    As for your other question I think covering a meal at a nice restaurant would be lovely. Maybe you could call up her mom and ask her what she thinks? She might be more aware of their plans for when they come down and how busy they will be. A gift card to a special restaurant back home might be nice as well. 
  • Agree with PPs about dancing. I would just get a nice gift and write a heartfelt card to the couple congratulating them on their anniversary. I think your heart is in the right place as well as PPs but I wouldn't want someone to choose how I celebrate my anniversary by making dinner reservations for me. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards