Budget Weddings Forum
Options

DIY DJ?

Has anyone DIY the DJ for your wedding? We are considering doing this but I haven't actually seen it done before.. 

Re: DIY DJ?

• Options
    My daughter recorded her music on her IPOD.  A friend acted as Master of Ceremonies and operated the music.  I should add that they were both professional performers who were used to electronic sound equipment.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    We are doing something similar to what @CMGragain's daughter did. FI and I are going to compile a playlist of music we already own on iTunes or something similar, maybe buy a few extra "hits" that have been requested by friends and relatives. My brother owns very nice speaker equipment, so he is going to bring that so we can hook it up, and two good friends who are very tech and music savvy are going to help by checking the playlist periodically to make sure it is going smoothly/ audio is adjusted accordingly. They are dear friends and said they would do this for free, but I am paying for their hotel room anyway as a thank you.

My venue (on a university campus) requires that if any electronics are hooked up, we do have to pay for a campus "tech person" to be present. They don't do the DJ work, they apparently just hang out in case tech issues arise. We would have needed to pay for such a person even if we were having a professional DJ, however, so it still comes out far less expensive in the long run. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We did.  We used a free trial of Spotify and rented nice sound equipment.  Some friends hit the play buttons at the right times. It worked out mostly well, there was dancing the whole time, and I'm glad we didn't pay for a DJ (very expensive in our area).  

We both love music and have ecclectic tastes, so we wanted to pick every single song.  This took months to plan, both what songs and then the order.  Budget your time wisely.

Have a back up of your playlist(s)!  We learned that the hard way.  Our playlist got out of order and we had to reorganize mid-reception.
  • Options

I have no problem with the iPod setup but have also been to a wedding reception with no music or dancing.  No one really missed it and everyone still had a great time, so if renting a sound system and finding a non-wedding guest to hit the play button is an issue you are perfectly fine forgoing it altogether.

• Options
    I think I read someone else on here (or another website) that made up a playlist for their wedding to hit play and they did something to the Ipod that switched up the order of everything and put it in alphabetical order instead of the order the couple had wished it to be in. I think they were able to fix it, but if you go this route make sure you have backups in case technology doesn't play nice!
  • Options
    justsie said:
    I think I read someone else on here (or another website) that made up a playlist for their wedding to hit play and they did something to the Ipod that switched up the order of everything and put it in alphabetical order instead of the order the couple had wished it to be in. I think they were able to fix it, but if you go this route make sure you have backups in case technology doesn't play nice!
    That happened to us, and I've mentioned it here:)  I can't emphasize back ups enough.  But I still am glad we went that route.
  • Options
    Ah @scrunchythief, I thought it was someone here but couldn't remember the username! Thank you for posting, I (obviously) thought it was really great advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards