Wedding Woes

Lurkers: may I have your attention please?

12346»

Re: Lurkers: may I have your attention please?

• CMGragain said:
    [Deleted User] said:
    Thank you for the advice about starting a new thread. No thank you for calling it a "fake wedding". Wow. We had a quick, extremely small civil ceremony so my MIL would be able to attend our wedding while she was still alive. I wouldn't exactly call going through with our original plans as being "fake". It wouldn't be any more "fake" than anyone who has ever renewed their vows. You have a great day.

This Speshul Snowflake has already melted.  We were actually very kind to her, but, as you can see by her attitude, she just wanted validation.  I'm so glad you ladies had the same advice as us regs.
    And I thought I was being very gentle in my warning that PPDs are not looked upon well here... Oh well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Apparently WW had A LOT of lurkers.  And you managed to bring us all out to play.

• Hey everyone I've been on the knot for about a year now and i'm still not sure how to change my name haha. I've been  engaged since October of 2014 and will be getting married this May (It feels like I've been waiting forever!). I am a CNA and hoping to return to school after I get married. My fiancé and I grew up together and have been together about 2 1/2 years and he is absolutely the love of my life!

I am a bit young - 21 - so any and all advice is wonderful. I've been dealing with a whole lot of bridesmaids drama too. I've had 2 bridesmaids bail, and my maid of honor and best friend had to step down because she got an internship (but I am so excited for her!), but now i'm stuck dealing with crazy cousins and a snooty sister-in-law, so it has been crazy stressful.

Basically I just want to get married and be done with all this wedding nonsense.

• I guess i could call myself a Lurker i was here a few years back under the name Cindy and then back in early 2000's as Tweety i believe, didn't stay long as those relationships went out the window,
    I just moved back home from Nashville tn, miss the south a lot but Mom needed me back. My fiance and myself will be tying the knot in August.

People should really respect others and not comment where it shouldn't be. love reading all the posts, helps me find more things to plan and more money to spend of his LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I guess i could call myself a Lurker i was here a few years back under the name Cindy and then back in early 2000's as Tweety i believe, didn't stay long as those relationships went out the window,
    I just moved back home from Nashville tn, miss the south a lot but Mom needed me back. My fiance and myself will be tying the knot in August.

People should really respect others and not comment where it shouldn't be. love reading all the posts, helps me find more things to plan and more money to spend of his LOL
    JIC

Care to elaborate?

And I don't know about any of you, but with me respect has to be earned.  Now that doesn't mean I can't and won't be civil to people, but I don't feel that anyone is entitled to my respect.  Just like you aren't actually entitled to your opinions if they are, in fact, incorrect.

And civility and being direct are not mutually exclusive. . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• PMeg819 said:
    I guess i could call myself a Lurker i was here a few years back under the name Cindy and then back in early 2000's as Tweety i believe, didn't stay long as those relationships went out the window,

httpsmediagiphycommedias44nqrt6clFOEgiphygif
    This is THE perfect gif for that comment.

• 1.  Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?
    Alcoholic: tie between champagne and vodka seltzer on the rocks with a lime
    Non-alcoholic: Diet Dr. Pepper
    2.  A life experience that made you a stronger person?
    I was raped my freshman year of college.
    3.  How did you meet SO/FI/DH?
    We worked at a pool together one summer :-)
    4.  What book are you reading right now? Or last book you read?
    I'm currently reading The Girl With A Clock for a Heart by Peter Swanson. Up next is City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg
    5.  E-Reader or actual paper book?
    Love my kindle. 
    6.  Least favorite chore?
    It's a tie between dusting and folding laundry. Especially fitted sheets. I hate those suckers.
    7.  If you could vacation anywhere right now, where would you go?
    Aruba. 
    8.  Hobbies?
    Yoga, running, stand-up-paddleboarding (when it's not winter lol), reading, baking, and watching movies.
    9.  Favorite ice cream?
    Black raspberry chip.
    10. Do you collect anything?
    Shot glasses and t-shirts.

• I'm Wuggy. I'm thirty. I joined when my FH and I first decided to get married around two years ago. We just got engaged on Christmas Eve. My sister got engaged Christmas Day. 

I work for divorce attorneys, so clients used to constantly tell me to never get married. That hasn't happened since I got my ring. It makes for an odd environment to plan a wedding in. 

I am also a plus sized bride (I just say I'm fat, but I know some people sensitive about it) and a DIY bride so you may see me around those parts.
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016

I

I joined TK 2-3 years ago when I first got engaged.  I was a reg for about a year, disappeared, and have recently returned.  I've always been short+sassy, both IRL and on TK.  I also actively frequent the Money Matters board on The Nest.

I've lived in NOLA for over 15 years, but grew up in Orange County, CA.  I'm 42 and my H is 51.  No kids together (by choice), but he has daughters from previous marriages.  We have a Manx cat (no tail) Nip and a 20lb. terrier, Izzy.  Loving everyone's pet pics!  Not sure why my pic posted at the top (sorry Nip, no handy pic of you).  I'm kind of klutzy like that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 1.  Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?

Club soda or iced tea (unsweet).  For hot, I also love a good apple cider

Gin martini, straight up, extra dirty

2.  A life experience that made you a stronger person?  Hurricane Katrina.  It's like everyone who lived in the NOLA area or Southern MS has an invisible line in their life.  The before Katrina/after Katrina line.  Although I was lucky my home didn't flood, I didn't know that for 6 weeks.  I ended up being evacuated for 3 months.  It emphasized for me that, if you have your loved ones, all the rest is gravy.  Objects really have no importance.  This was an epiphany for me because I've always had difficulty getting rid of things.

I also learned you better have a Plan A, B, and C in your life.  Because sometimes the craziest s**t happens and you better be able to rely on yourself. 

Yahoo Personals

"The Section 8 Bible" - It's a book about real estate investing, specifically in the Section 8 niche (housing assistance program).

5.  E-Reader or actual paper book?  Paper book

All of them.  But my two least favorites are cooking and organizing/putting things away because those activities take the longest.

Italy and Germany

8.  Hobbies?

I love to play video poker.  It's sometimes an expensive hobby, lol, but I have so much fun.

9.  Favorite ice cream?  Creole Cream Cheese.  It tastes like an ice-cream version of a cheesecake that is on the tangier side.

10. Do you collect anything?  Rubber ducks.  Our wedding cake topper was bride and groom rubber duckies.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Little late to the lurker party, but I thought I'd join in, if that's ok with the cool kids:)  I joined back around 2009, looking for hairstyle ideas, before Pinterest existed (or maybe I just didn't know about it?).  I was a bit more active while planning our wedding, which was in 2014 and recently decided ti post a bit more. I've mostly lurked/posted on Etiquette, Chit Chat and Catholic weddings, along with Budget, Flowers, WW (especially for Dear Prudie) and Snarky Brides.  

DH and I live with our 5 month old daughter and a cat that is too smart for her own good.  I am a terrible speller and I probably over-use emoticons. 

1.  Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?
    Alcoholic: Woodford Reserve bourbon, neat, Non: Homemade lemonade
    Cutting out a toxic group of friends
    First class freshman year of college
    Rereading the Complete Father Brown Mysteries along with some parenting books.
    Actual book, but Kindle is occasionally more convenient. 
    It has to do with cloth diapers.  I'll spare the details.
    New Zealand.  I want to go Zorbing and visit the Shire.
    8.  Hobbies?
    Cooking, psychology, flower arranging, reading and Doctor Who (especially classic Who)
    9.  Favorite ice cream?
    Peppermint stick from the Berkey Creamery
    Magnets from vacation spots
  • Little late to the lurker party, but I thought I'd join in, if that's ok with the cool kids:)  I joined back around 2009, looking for hairstyle ideas, before Pinterest existed (or maybe I just didn't know about it?).  I was a bit more active while planning our wedding, which was in 2014 and recently decided ti post a bit more. I've mostly lurked/posted on Etiquette, Chit Chat and Catholic weddings, along with Budget, Flowers, WW (especially for Dear Prudie) and Snarky Brides.  

DH and I live with our 5 month old daughter and a cat that is too smart for her own good.  I am a terrible speller and I probably over-use emoticons. 

1.  Favorite Drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?
    Alcoholic: Woodford Reserve bourbon, neat, Non: Homemade lemonade
    Cutting out a toxic group of friends
    First class freshman year of college
    Rereading the Complete Father Brown Mysteries along with some parenting books.
    Actual book, but Kindle is occasionally more convenient. 
    It has to do with cloth diapers.  I'll spare the details.
    New Zealand.  I want to go Zorbing and visit the Shire.
    8.  Hobbies?
    Cooking, psychology, flower arranging, reading and Doctor Who (especially classic Who)
    9.  Favorite ice cream?
    Peppermint stick from the Berkey Creamery
    Magnets from vacation spots
    I love peppermint ice cream but can only get it in my area around Christmas. This year I missed out - so sad!
  • [Cut my response so it's not super long]
    I love peppermint ice cream but can only get it in my area around Christmas. This year I missed out - so sad!
    This ice cream is the same way.  My birthday is in December and my H makes sure to get a couple quarts before they run out:)
  • Love this thread, but I won't lie, I didn't make it past pg 2 of the posts...

I'm Katie, joined in Dec 2015 shortly after FI proposed at the surprise 30th Bday party he threw for me. I am a Footcare professional and also teach future clinicians in my field. I am also Canadian!

FI and I have been together for nearly 4 years, living together for 3, bought our house last March. We have three cats, plan to have ONE child.

I've only posted on the WP board about my sister situation and though it appears some did not agree with me, I don't let my ass get handed to me. I was encouraged by @drunkenwitch to change my username and  explore other boards

I take shit from NO ONE. In life, in wedding planning and all other areas. FI an I are planning and paying for our own wedding (Oct 15 2016) ergo we do things OUR way.

Things I like: Video games, coffee, wine, cats, riding motorcycles, scientific debate, yoga.
    Things I dislike: Ignorant people, mornings, gin, cheap furniture, when people write in pencil.

As I am certain everyone experiences, I have family and FI family dynamics to micro-manage and mitigate during this planning process. My mantra when dealing with pushy people is and will continue to be "You have an opinion, but you don't have a vote". I'm sure I'll be posting more in the coming months!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards