Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Cocktail and Dinner Music

Hi, everyone!  We are having a 60-90 minute cocktail hour followed by a dinner only reception for 90-120 minutes.  I planned an eclectic playlist of music that people would enjoy but that would not prompt them to start dancing.  There are some more upbeat songs (just toe-tappers like Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars and Say Hey by Michael Franti and Spearhead) for the cocktail hour and some softer ones for the dinner.  We are going the mp3 player route for both.

I was doing some research to see what other songs could work and started to notice most people mention only jazz, classical, or similar type of music for these situations.  Now I am second guessing my lists.  Did you or anyone you know have a playlist of songs that were not Buble/Sinatra-esque?  Our attire is black tie optional and I want to convey a formal feel but cater to the eclectic group of guests as well.

Right now my lists cover everything from soft rock to R&B to pop and range from new releases to songs older than us!  Just want some feedback on how this type of playlist would work.

Re: Cocktail and Dinner Music

• We really enjoyed the suggestion list our daughter's DJ offered.  Scroll toward the bottom to see their ideas for cocktail and dinner hours.

http://toastandjamdjs.com/assets/uploads/general/ToastandJamSonglist2015Final.pdf

• This is interesting.  I do not recognize a lot of the names though.  The ones I do recognize are for slower, less upbeat music.  But definitely not jazzy.  I like it.

• donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    First - I love the idea of newer and recent mid tempo songs like Just The Way You Are and Say Hey.  A couple others from the last few years that work with that might be Love on Top by Beyonce, Rhythm of Love by Plain White T's, White Dress by Ben Rector, I Do by Colbie Caillet, Hold My Hand by Jess Glynn.... you're on the right track!  

As an example of eclectic and fun cocktail music (imho I think anything you like works while guests are drinking and socializing) check out this playlist from a DJ blog I follow
    http://nightmusicdj.com/news/2015/11/30/cocktails-and-music-yes-please/
  • donethat said:
    First - I love the idea of newer and recent mid tempo songs like Just The Way You Are and Say Hey.  A couple others from the last few years that work with that might be Love on Top by Beyonce, Rhythm of Love by Plain White T's, White Dress by Ben Rector, I Do by Colbie Caillet, Hold My Hand by Jess Glynn.... you're on the right track!  

As an example of eclectic and fun cocktail music (imho I think anything you like works while guests are drinking and socializing) check out this playlist from a DJ blog I follow
    http://nightmusicdj.com/news/2015/11/30/cocktails-and-music-yes-please/
    Some of these are on my list, too! 
  • If there is no dance floor space, I don't think you will have to worry about people getting up and dancing. I love the idea of having a wider selection of music. I think about the restaurants that I frequent and several play several different genres of music. We are not having any dancing either and my plan was to have a loaded iPod played on the restaurant sound system. Keep in mind that you may still have to pay SOCAN fees depending on your establishment.
  • Your music list is fine. 

I think it's nice to play an eclectic mix that has something for everyone. You may consider some of the newer Indie hits ("Like Real People Do" by Hozier, "Stolen Dance" by Milky Chance), and we also included some Motown hits. 
  • SP29 said:
    Your music list is fine. 

I think it's nice to play an eclectic mix that has something for everyone. You may consider some of the newer Indie hits ("Like Real People Do" by Hozier, "Stolen Dance" by Milky Chance), and we also included some Motown hits. 
    Love "Stolen Dance."
    "Riptide," Vance Joy
    "Let Love Rule," Lenny Kravitz
    "Life is Better with You," Michael Franti

Also a big fan of Motown and old school R & B.
  • **takes notes**

I love it!  I will be listening to these soon and compiling them all to be played on the tablet.  38 days to go!  Time to get crackin'!

• "Come to Me" by the Goo Goo Dolls. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards