Flowers

Significant Flower(s)?

I know for some, flowers are flowers are flowers, and that is perfectly fine. But I also know some brides have special stories behind why they picked a certain kind of flower for their bouquet. 

For me, I particularly like tiger lilies (hence, the name) since (1) I have always loved lilies since I was a little girl, and (2) the orange color is my subtle homage to Roman culture, which FI and I both studied and is how we met. In Ancient Rome, brides wore an orange veil to symbolize the fire of love.

How about the rest of you? If you do have a story, please share it! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Significant Flower(s)?

• Irises, specifically purple ones. My grandmother grew them and I can't see one with thinking of her.
  • I didn't have any actually. Pretty much everything I went with was suggested by my florist with some input from me. Ironically? I feel a bigger connection to those flowers now and it shows in my garden at home. Since the wedding I've planted two peonies, added 3 new varieties of hydrangea, started to baby my existing gardenia bushes, and so on. I've also fallen in love with garden roses and I planted two bushes this fall. I can't wait to watch them grow!

• I love tiger lilies too, thought I didn't use them in my bouquet.  My mom picked wild ones for me when I was a child from the side of the road.  

We did use celery leaves in my DH's boutonniere because of Doctor Who. 
  • OP, unsolicited advice. Given your love of tiger lilies I assume you already know this but... tread carefully with your bouquet. The pollen is so messy! Once, I had a delivery of flowers at my office that includes those. I stuck my nose into the bouquet, didn't even think my nose touched anything, yet ended up with orange smears on my face. I'd hate to see that happen during a wedding or have the stuff on a wedding dress. 

• OP, unsolicited advice. Given your love of tiger lilies I assume you already know this but... tread carefully with your bouquet. The pollen is so messy! Once, I had a delivery of flowers at my office that includes those. I stuck my nose into the bouquet, didn't even think my nose touched anything, yet ended up with orange smears on my face. I'd hate to see that happen during a wedding or have the stuff on a wedding dress. 
    I forgot about that!  Snip the stamens out, or ask the florist to do it.  It'll help.
  • lembasloverlembaslover member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2016
    I've always loved lilies too! And roses, I love roses. I made my bouquet out of paper flowers and I made lilies and roses. The roses I made out of a copy of Lord of the Rings that I bought for that purpose (I have to say it was hard at first to start tearing out pages. The Lord of the Rings trilogy are my favorite books and we had some subtle elvish inspirations in our wedding (nothing like pointed ears or full medieval garb but I did wear a cloak instead of a veil and had a circlet).

ETA: grammar 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    I've also briefly heard of pollen issues before -- one of my friend went to wedding once where the bride was freaking out because pollen was getting everywhere the morning of, so my friend took over and snipped the stamens out of all the bouquets (it took her a while and she got a bit messy herself in the process, but it all worked out).  I am going the silk flower route and making mine an my BMs bouquets, so thankfully we won't have to worry about pollen, but I appreciate the head's up! Lurkers, heed the advice well!

• Orchids were my late Mother's favourite flowers are she carried a spray of orchids on her wedding day.  Using orchids in my bouquet might make me cry on the day though.

Irises are really pretty too, especially the periwinkle blue ones. 
  • CattysMom said:
    Orchids were my late Mother's favourite flowers are she carried a spray of orchids on her wedding day.  Using orchids in my bouquet might make me cry on the day though.

Irises are really pretty too, especially the periwinkle blue ones. 
    My grandmother passed away right before we got engaged, and I knew I'd bawl if I had big reminders of her on the day of.  So I used drawings of hers on our invitations and programs as a way to honor her that wouldn't be too much for me the day of.   I cry super easily though.

Maybe you could do something like that with orchids?  Like pictures of them on your program, or a potted plant of them on the guest book or gifts table or similar location? 
  • I've always loved lilies too! And roses, I love roses. I made my bouquet out of paper flowers and I made lilies and roses. The roses I made out of a copy of Lord of the Rings that I bought for that purpose (I have to say it was hard at first to start tearing out pages. The Lord of the Rings trilogy are my favorite books and we had some subtle elvish inspirations in our wedding (nothing like pointed ears or full medieval garb but I did wear a cloak instead of a veil and had a circlet).

ETA: grammar 
    @marriedhamstermomI love your story so so much! And both you and your flowers are gorgeous! The first time FI and I both realized we had a crush on one another was when we were laughing about how we tried to teach ourselves Elvish in middle-school. Then we got in a debate because I did Sindarin and he did Quenya, haha! Tolkien is by far our favorite author, also! 

• @marriedhamstermom Your bouquet is gorgeous! I am impressed with your flower making skills! (it would not have turned out that way if I did it... ;) ). Love how you used a favourite book- I like that idea in crafts, very subtle.

I chose my flowers because I saw some photos of bouquets with them and thought they were pretty. When we buy our own home, I think I will do similar as @labro, and begin to plant those same flowers in my garden. 

I had purple roses and carnations, as well as two shades of purple lisianthus, purple freesia and blue delphinium. 
  • driddrid member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    We're really leaning towards tulips for a few reasons, not to mention I've fallen in love with Pinterest tulip bouquets....
    -FI is Dutch and his father moved here when he was young with his family. 
    -We got engaged while in Amsterdam
    - FIs extended family is pretty small and it's a touch that they wouldnt expect but would really appreciate
    - FIs favourite flowers to buy me are tulips
    -Tulips are so beautiful and simple
    -And they're in season in spring so hopefully budget-wise! 
    - I have a tulip garden full of bulbs from Holland :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having amaryllises in my bouquet. My mom would always have them in the house during the holidays. I'm getting married in November so they are also in season :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards