DIY Wedding Forum

DIY Invitations?

2»

Re: DIY Invitations?

• justsie said:
    WHAT THE HECK IS STRICTLY SMART?
    If your IQ is below 125, you can't come in.  They're very strict about it.

OP, I DIY'ed our invites, and especially since you have graphic design experience, I'd say go for it.  I used publisher to design ours using drawings from my late grandmother and then had them printed at Staples with cardstock I bought on amazon.  I kept them really simple apart from that: no bows, appliques, etc. So I'd recommend doing them in stages.  Start with the basics and then if you have time/inclination you can add more little things.
    I just skimmed this quickly and thought you were snarking on my IQ. Will any of you judge me for drinking coffee at 6 pm? HA!
  • I think that "speshul snowflake" got tired of all the catty remarks
  • CattysMom said:
    I think that "speshul snowflake" got tired of all the catty remarks
    Yawn.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • CattysMom said:
    I think that "speshul snowflake" got tired of all the catty remarks
    C-

• justsie said:

OP, I DIY'ed our invites, and especially since you have graphic design experience, I'd say go for it.  I used publisher to design ours using drawings from my late grandmother and then had them printed at Staples with cardstock I bought on amazon.  I kept them really simple apart from that: no bows, appliques, etc. So I'd recommend doing them in stages.  Start with the basics and then if you have time/inclination you can add more little things.
    I did not realize staples printed invites like this! I will look into that as there is one not far from my home. Were you able to just go one afternoon and get them all printed?
  • justsie said:

I did not realize staples printed invites like this! I will look into that as there is one not far from my home. Were you able to just go one afternoon and get them all printed?
    I brought in a usb drive with the pdf I designed on it.  I might call ahead, just to check, but if I remember correctly, I just went in one morning and they printed them.  It didn't take too long.  Honestly, I only went there because the paper wouldn't go through my home printer.

I think they also have pre-designed invites you can order too.
  • justsie said:

I brought in a usb drive with the pdf I designed on it.  I might call ahead, just to check, but if I remember correctly, I just went in one morning and they printed them.  It didn't take too long.  Honestly, I only went there because the paper wouldn't go through my home printer.

I think they also have pre-designed invites you can order too.
    I will be checking that out, Thank you so much!
  • CMGragain said:
    I feel very sorry that you didn't ask us before you printed your invitations.  I am glad that you posted, though, because it can warn some other brides to not make those mistakes.

There are some wording rules than can be changed to suit the sender, but there are also rules that cannot, should not be broken!
    1.  The bride and groom never directly invite guests to their own wedding.  It is not necessary to name parents on an invitation, but if the bride and groom are self hosting, the passive voice is used.
    2.  The wording must specifically state who, what, when and where. "Celebrate the marriage" sounds like you are already married, and this is a celebration party.
    3.  Cash bars are rude.  No argument.  Announcing them on your invitation is equally rude.
    4.  Gifts may not be mentioned anywhere in the invitation.  This includes references to "All we require is your presence."
    5.  The only permissible dress code is "black tie", and this would only be for a very formal wedding where all guests wear tuxedos/long gowns.  To tell your guests what they should wear is insulting.
    6.  It is very rude to mention people (children) who are not invited on the invitation.

My post was not meant to insult you.  If your wedding has already taken place, I hope you had a lovely day.  That does not change the fact that you did break some important rules, and you posted them here on an open forum.  I hope to prevent other brides from making the same mistakes.
    CMG is right. Our invitations said "request the pleasure of your company at the celebration of their union." It was the standard text on it on the website and I didn't think about changing it. After the fact, but before our wedding I heard it was wrong and worried about it.  I think people knew what it really meant. I don't know that anyone in my family has ever heard of a PPD. But still, three years later, I think about it and wish we had put different language on there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards