October 2016 Weddings

Wedding Weekend Events

Hi y'all! My FI and I live in North Carolina, but are getting married in Delaware where I'm from. Most of his family and our friends will be travelling for the wedding and we wanted to make it worth their while and plan more than just the actual wedding for them. We're having a rehearsal dinner, and I like the idea of keeping that small, but we've discussed possibly having a meet and greet after the rehearsal dinner and/or a day-after brunch.

My questions are:
Has anyone been to any of these events? Were they too much or were they enjoyable? How do you get the word out about 'extra' events..put it in the invite? Is it ok to limit the guest list on these or should it be the same people from the wedding? 

Thoughts are much appreciated!

Re: Wedding Weekend Events

• Hi, and congrats! 

My best friend had all 3 of those events at her wedding a few years ago, and it went pretty well! 

She kept things pretty low key and had the information about it on her website, just telling people where we'd be hanging out after the rehearsal dinner if anyone wanted to join. She did the same with the invitation to join them for brunch the morning after the wedding. If you don't want to invite the whole guest list, just mention it to the people you would like to include.

I thought the events were fun, RD was wedding party and immediate family only, but most of the guest list joined us at the bar afterwards and for brunch the morning after the wedding. There was an after party immediately after the reception too, but I never made it to that...I had a few too many gin and tonics! 

• The meet and greet sounds like a great event, especially for out-of-towners to meet each other. I hope that you don't mind but I noticed you were getting married in Delaware so I PM'd you.
  • Our wedding is out of town and requires travel for everyone. We are planning to host dinner Friday evening (no rehearsal), Saturday breakfast, Saturday reception, and Sunday brunch. I am including these on our wedding website, but should I add a card in the invitation? We are hosting for everyone invited to the wedding so I wouldn't be adding to certain cards only, would it be against etiquette to do that? 
  • Our wedding is out of town and requires travel for everyone. We are planning to host dinner Friday evening (no rehearsal), Saturday breakfast, Saturday reception, and Sunday brunch. I am including these on our wedding website, but should I add a card in the invitation? We are hosting for everyone invited to the wedding so I wouldn't be adding to certain cards only, would it be against etiquette to do that? 
    Since you are hosting all of the events, I think it woulf be fine to include a list of events on a separate card in your invitation. Word of mouth is always an option too, or even in welcome bags. Will you need a head count for these events or will people just be able to show up?
  • I think the meet and greet sounds like a good idea. I went to a Friday night wedding in Upstate NY and they made a wedding weekend out of it. I thought it was fine because there was no expectation for anyone to come to anything; we went to all of the activities, but it was also my FI's cousin's wedding and we don't get to see them very often. They had a horse drawn carriage that went through their village during their reception which was awesome since it was a full moon (or was the next night, something like that). Then the next day there was a BBQ and some outdoor games (horseshoes, corn hole, touch football, etc.). Sunday everyone got together at my FI's parents' bar and watched a football game and then people started on their journeys home. We got all of the activities on their website.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Any thing that you specifically invite people to must be completely hosted. A casual mention "hey we are hanging out in x bar on Friday night, feel free to stop by" does not have to be hosted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards