Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cook on a steak ...

We are planning a family style entrée service (have absolutely loved this at other weddings we've been to). We would like one of our proteins to be steak (big protein where we live). How would you handle the cook? Our caterer indicated that the steak would be sliced in the kitchen prior to service so for a table of eight, likely 6 portions of steak would be served. We could ensure that each person had their own steak and cooked to their request but then we wouldn't go with family style. I just love the variety you get with family style (so many options!) but no buffet lines!

Other options for guests to eat during the service are some sort of cooked vegetables, chicken, three different pastas (two vegetarian), some sort of bread/roll and the appetizer would be a plated salad or soup. I feel like there will be lots of food, but open to suggestions (no fish or shellfish as we both have an anaphylactic allergy).

Thanks!

Re: Cook on a steak ...

• ernursej said:

We are planning a family style entrée service (have absolutely loved this at other weddings we've been to). We would like one of our proteins to be steak (big protein where we live). How would you handle the cook? Our caterer indicated that the steak would be sliced in the kitchen prior to service so for a table of eight, likely 6 portions of steak would be served. We could ensure that each person had their own steak and cooked to their request but then we wouldn't go with family style. I just love the variety you get with family style (so many options!) but no buffet lines!

Other options for guests to eat during the service are some sort of cooked vegetables, chicken, three different pastas (two vegetarian), some sort of bread/roll and the appetizer would be a plated salad or soup. I feel like there will be lots of food, but open to suggestions (no fish or shellfish as we both have an anaphylactic allergy).

Thanks!

I feel like steaks are really hard to do family style.  I like medium rare.  My dad likes his medium well to well done.  I won't eat a steak cooked that much, and vice versa.  I feel like you'll have a lot of waste if people aren't able to choose their temperatures.  You could go the route of making them all medium (I will compromise with that), but the people I know who like their steaks well done won't even consider eating anything with a little bit of pink.  That's where I think you'll get the waste.  Sorry this wasn't more helpful. =/

• Thanks @levioosa. I was thinking medium as most of our guests seems to choose this when we are out together, but I like mine well done. What are your thoughts about the table being asked and then depending on the answers, the steaks cooked to a variety of temperatures?
  • If that is an option, I think that would be fantastic.  Are you giving your guests options for the meal on their RSVP card?  I'm just wondering how the caterer will know how many steaks to provide if it's family style.  Not everyone will want a steak.  

• Excellent ... I'll take that second idea to the caterer. We are having our reception at a restaurant and all the items served are regular menu items. We were told that they would have enough portions for all guests (only 50 people will be invited) to have whatever they wanted from our chosen menu (items in my original post). Being family style, I might only have a few pieces of steak (instead of a whole one) as I would also want pasta and chicken and vegetables. Items are presented to the whole table and then shared. All the tables are arranged so that everyone knows each other as I can appreciate not wanting to go family style with someone you didn't know.
  • I've never seen steaks family style - usually it's roast beef or pot roast or another cut of beef that's usually cooked to the same temperature.

Would that be a beef option that appeals to you?

I also agree that with the other entrée choices, I wouldn't want an entire steak. I like to eat a little bit of everything. Roast beef is usually sliced so people can take smaller portions.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    DH does plated steaks and family style everything else.

ETA - med-rare unless stated otherwise

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Instead of whole steaks, could you do something like steak skewers or something like that?  That'd probably be easier to do family style, and I know as someone who likes almost rare, I'd be more likely to eat one cooked medium or so if it was on a skewer type thing with some veggies or something, but not if it's just a steak sitting in front of me.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • @julieanne912 Interesting idea. Not something that is on their menu, but perhaps something that could be made for the dinner since it is just the preparation that is different from their usual menu.

@shessocold Doing a different beef item would be ideal, but no other beef items are on their regular menu. I can certainly ask. Thanks for the suggestion.

@lyndausvi Thanks! I think that might make the carnivore Fiancé the happiest. I now have lots of ideas to work with the caterer.   

• The servers go around the table and say something like "Tonight the filet is prepared med-rare, would you like a different temperature?"

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I've seen been able to select my steak temp at a wedding. It has always been medium or medium well. Even the wedding that had prime certified Hereford prime rib flown in special, it was just here you go. It was still the best food I've ever had at a wedding.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• We had tenderloin at DD's wedding. They cooked it so it was med rare in middle but of course the ends were more well done. They asked guests preferences. People raved about the food, including the tenderloin.
  • I've been to restaurants that have family style steaks. I think they are usually cooked med rare-med. Most people can usually find something they like, because the edges are still a little more crispy, and the very center a little more rare. I do see issues if everyone likes well done, and there aren't enough crispy edge bits to go around.
  • Would they be able to serve steaks to order, and have everything else family style?  There can be a wide range of cook preferences (I have a few friends that only eat well done, while I'm on the other end of the spectrum and eat my steak blue).  We had tenderloin as one of our menu options, and had it made to order (ordered table side).

However, If they can only do one cook temperature, I'd probably going with medium rare.
  • Thanks @aerochickie. This thread is almost 2 months old, but I appreciate your thoughts. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards