Not Engaged Yet
Options

Monday!

Re: Monday!

• Options
    @minskat30 OMG LOVE!!!!!!! Love the crib! Love the name!!! <3 I guess I've always said Karen with an ehn not an uhn sound lol so I don't have creative ideas. Not so sure about the Car part either. Hmm. Luckily it's her middle name anyway!

• Options
    @minskat30 - I adore those names, especially the Anee nickname!  I knew a little girl named "Anika" once, and she went by "Ani," pronounced the same way.  I have no useful hints about the pronunciation of Karin, but I just wanted to let you know that I love the names!
  • Options
    @minskat30 LOVE that crib and the name! It's so unique and special to you both!

@500days I've seen pictures of people playing "pie face" and it looks hilarious! I've never played it. Do you have pictures?
  • Options
    @500days Oh no! I hope all your stuff at work didn't get damaged!!!

• Options
    Thank you @labro @southernpeach89 @futuremrshistorian - I just picture her so perfectly as a little Anee/Ani toddling around with Rajah.  ;)  We found one other name we love but the second half of the name it is just too similar (the potential nickname) to my name so I think we nixed it.  I'm really happy we settled on something we both love.  
  • Options
    @minskat30 I'm so glad we share such similar taste. ;) Are you sure you don't want to come visit and help me redo my bathroom too?

• Options
    labro said:
    @minskat30 I'm so glad we share such similar taste. ;) Are you sure you don't want to come visit and help me redo my bathroom too?
    Oh man....don't tempt me.  I'd probably cause more chaos with my ideas than help though.  I'm full of ideas...and terribly at implementation (unless I'm allowed to drink wine, in which case I'm full of ideas and impulsive implementation, which isn't much better).  ;)
  • Options
    @minskat30 I love her name, no matter how you decide to spell it!!! My cousin is Karin, so I may have some bias with that spelling.  Funny story... my name was supposed to spelled the common way, but when I was born there were 5 other babies in the hospital with the same name.  My mom said I needed to be different so spelled it with an F.  Up until a few years ago, I always thought it was because my grandmother was German so my name was the European spelling.  

• Options
    @minskat30 Just come after the baby is here and you can have all the wine you want and Baby Ani can become BFFs with Callie. ;)

• Options
    @minskat30 I love her name, no matter how you decide to spell it!!! My cousin is Karin, so I may have some bias with that spelling.  Funny story... my name was supposed to spelled the common way, but when I was born there were 5 other babies in the hospital with the same name.  My mom said I needed to be different so spelled it with an F.  Up until a few years ago, I always thought it was because my grandmother was German so my name was the European spelling.  

How does your cousin pronounce her name?  As to your name, that cracks me up.  My parents spelled my name oddly too because of the need to make me unique.  Everyone assumes it is the correct way to spell it but, nope.  If they had just spelled my name the traditional Danish way it would have been unique enough in the U.S.  H told me we don't have to cater to the lowest common denominator and phonetically spell out her name but as someone who is used to getting her name slaughtered, I don't want to pass on that particular tradition know what I mean?  lol
  • Options
    @minskat30 Love the name! I grew up with an Anika with the same pronounciation. 

@southernpeach89 I took a pic of my H! 
    (sorry if it's huge- it looks gigantic)

I wish I took a video of pieface. The ones I saw on FB looked hilarious!
  • Options
    labro said:
    @minskat30 Just come after the baby is here and you can have all the wine you want and Baby Ani can become BFFs with Callie. ;)

Oh man...now THAT is a good idea.  
  • Options
    speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    @minskat30 I think my aunt's intention was Car-in, but horrible NY accent family her name is pronounced Kah-rin (actually Care-in is probably closer since the A is emphasized with our accents haha)

@500days I am not a fan of pie face.  They made us play it in Vermont with CAH.  Nope, did not like getting whip cream in my face. 
  • Options
    @southernpeach89 Happy engagement-versary! Congrats on the CF competition! Those pictures of Callie are adorable. She's just perfect, I tell ya. 
    @labro I LOVE EVERYTHING FOR YOUR BATHROOM! I love it so much it warranted all caps. 
    @futuremrshistorian Ooooh have fun in Dubai!
    @speakeasy14 I am sad that TK will not allow you to AW everything. :(
    @500days I hope none of your things were ruined!
    @minskat30 I absolutely adore that name! <3 
    @jenna8984 Oooooh new Coach wallet! 
    -----------
    I'm off work today, but I'm taking a break from all the unpacking to browse the internet/update my address on all my credit cards. Fun stuff.

This move has been a huge headache. It should have been our easiest move yet since we moved one building over, but it's been the biggest pain in the ass:
    1. On Wednesday, the day before the move, the leasing office called to tell me that the painters accidentally painted the wrong wall with our accent color. They left the door unlocked for me to come check it out, and I opted to just leave it because it looked OK and would be a bigger pain to change so close to the move.
    2. The movers took FOREVER. 5.5 hours. We went with this company because it was a much cheaper rate and included 3 guys, but oh my god, they were so slow. They were so nice and personable, but it should not have taken that long. It cost us a fortune since they were paid by the hour. H and I spent the rest of the night moving things over from the old apartment that we'd told them not to worry about, and we barely had a chance to unpack anything. It was awful.
    3. The next morning I'd scheduled a maid to clean the old apartment. She showed up over an hour late. The maid company has a policy that someone must be present at all times during a clean of an empty apartment, so I sat in an empty apartment on my phone from 9am-1pm... what a waste of time. She did a great job on the apartment though.
    4. As I was eating lunch at the new place, I went to grab some water from the fridge. I realized that the water had never gotten very cold, so I decided to turn the fridge temperature down. When I looked at the temperature knob, I saw that it was set to "Off." OFF! Shit. All of our temperature-sensitive food was ruined. 
    5. The apartment complex provides a washer and dryer, but if you want to use your own, you have to store the ones they provide. We did this at the previous apartment but decided to use the provided ones this time because we were tired of storing a washer and dryer. Well, this apartment didn't have a washer and dryer when we moved in. The leasing office said they were having brand new ones delivered, but they never showed. We got annoyed by this and the fridge being off, so after 2 days of no washer and dryer, H got them to agree to cancel the delivery and just let us use our own.
    6. Well, the movers had put our washer and dryer in our detached garage. H and our friend went out there to move them back up to our 2nd-floor apartment by hand, when they discovered that the washer pump seems to be malfunctioning because there's water in the washer that will not drain. It still functions, and I suspect it's been this way for a few months, but now H wants to take it apart and fix it himself after we're done moving. Great. 
    *sigh* Since then it's been smooth sailing. I'd say we're about 75% unpacked. I'm going to unpack a bit more today, and then @audrewuh is coming over this afternoon to sew and help me set up my sewing area. 

I should note that the leasing office is giving us some sort of credit next month for the ruined food. They said it's not protocol for them to turn off the fridges, so they think the previous resident must have done it. We've never moved into an apartment where the fridge was off, so we didn't think to check prior to putting our food in it. :( 

I'm so exhausted. I can't believe I have to go back to work tomorrow. 0_0

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @eilis1228 that does sound frustrating. How come you hired movers though?  I thought you were staying in the same complex? 
  • Options
    @eilis1228 Ugh that does sound like a huge headache! I hope you get everything back to normal soon.
  • Options
    @eilis1228

Sounds like quite the cluster. I love apartment complexes...

• Options
    eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    @speakeasy14 We always hire movers. It's usually a lot easier. Plus carrying everything ourselves from one second floor apartment to another second floor apartment would have sucked. 

@southernpeach89 Thanks! I'm ready to be back to normal.

@labro Right?! H finally understands why I hate moving and why I insist that we will not do this again until we buy a house. We are staying put for a while. This particular move was not expected, but it's our compromise on needing more space but not being ready financially for a house. Blah.

• Options
    @eilis1228 Ugh! I am so sorry that the move was a bit rocky. Whenever we move I look forward to throwing out a lot of things- that's probably the only good thing about moving lol
  • Options
    @eilis1228 haha I'm such a cheapo I've always done it myself. It's not a big deal unless you're super coordinated like me and fall down the stairs, leaving everyone else to move the rest of your stuff. 
  • Options
    @speakeasy14 One time I was moving in college and I fell down the stairs and twisted my ankle so I got to be done moving shit!!

• Options
    @eilis1228 - Ugh, the move sounds like a nightmare.  I'm so sorry it was such a PIA.  Also, ruined food makes me a sad panda.  :(  I know its hard to say something to movers who are moving like molasses...did you mention anything to them?  I have a hard time saying something but H has no such issues...lol.  He'll tell them "move it along" if they are purposefully putzing (I just can't bring myself to do it for some reason).   I might write in on their review though.  I think some companies do that on purpose (charge a lower rate but then tell their workers to work really, really slowly).  I'm glad your apartment company is giving you a credit for the food at least. 
  • Options
    hahaha @labro I did the same moving out of my last apartment.  The boxes I carried landed on me.  So then I sat and told everyone where to move everything to.  A year later my roommate was moving and would only let me carry pillows and stuffed animals. 
  • Options
    @bethsmiles congrats to your brother, but that is not ok.  He definitely should have told family before sharing it to social media.  And your wedding food sounds delicious!!
  • Options
    @speakeasy14 After a few moves of broken stuff and hurt people, we opted to hire movers. They're normally worth every penny. 

@minskat30 I made comments like, "Wow, this is the longest move we've ever had. It normally only takes 4 hours," and the lead guy would say, "We are working very hard!" They did work consistently the entire time, but they could have gone faster. The ruined food made me sad too. We spent soooo much money replacing everything.

@500days We donated a ton of stuff and threw out a bunch of stuff while packing. It was nice to get rid of so much stuff!

• Options
    @labro Agreed. We post a lot of our major life events on facebook but definitely not before we tell family and friends first. We waited a day before posting we were engaged and obviously we waited until after our 1st trimester to post about being pregnant which I think everyone should do or maybe even longer depending on your situation.

Obviously people can decide on their own how and when they want to display these things publicly but in our case, my family and close friends would be very offended if we didn't tell them first.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards