Favors

Wine!

Not 100% sure if we are going to do favours, but if we do, we were thinking about wine. Wine is something that we are known for and most of our guests love red wine, specifically Amarone. We can get full or half sized bottles of our favourite kind. I would add a ribbon tag with some sort of note, but nothing personalized on the actual bottle. Two questions:

1) Wine, yes or no?

2) Full or half sized bottles?

Re: Wine!

• I think it would depend on if you have people flying into town for your wedding. They might have trouble getting back home, assuming they don't drink it before then. I would probably go with a half size bottle.

• Sorry, only two OOT guests (one who wouldn't surprise me if they consumed the bottle that night when then return to their hotel!). Everyone else is local.
  • I'm a fan of wine favors. I've been to a few weddings with them and they have been great many of them did have quite a bit left over. I would prefer a full bottle, but nothing wrong with doing splits as well. 
  • Good point @charlotte989875. We would pick something that we would be happy with leftovers and/or could return at our liquor store.
  • Check with the alcohol serving laws in your area and the policy of your venue.  There may be issues with distributing alcohol if you don't have the proper licensing.

Here's why I say this ... several years ago, a friend had small bottles of scotch as their favors.  They had to emphasize that the guests not open the bottles while on the premises since it could be seen as the couple serving them liquor and would've caused legal issues.

As long as you're good to go ..... CHEERS!
  • @holyguacamole79 Great advice. I had already checked and there is no problem with the favour. Even if guests open, it is fine.
  • One more question - anyone under 21?  Anyone that you know of who doesn't drink? Could you accommodate those who can't drink/don't drink with a similarly great favor, for example a craft soda you know they'd like?
    Anniversary

• ernursej said:

Not 100% sure if we are going to do favours, but if we do, we were thinking about wine. Wine is something that we are known for and most of our guests love red wine, specifically Amarone. We can get full or half sized bottles of our favourite kind. I would add a ribbon tag with some sort of note, but nothing personalized on the actual bottle. Two questions:

1) Wine, yes or no? Hell yes. Even if your favorite isn't my favorite, it's still a great favor. If you love buttery Chardonnay and I love spicy Syrah, I can still use the bottle if I have friends over or something. 

2) Full or half sized bottles? Wouldn't sneeze at a half bottle, but if you have budget for full size (and as previously mentioned, no OOT guest issues) that'd be awesome. 

• JaxInBlue said:
    One more question - anyone under 21?  Anyone that you know of who doesn't drink? Could you accommodate those who can't drink/don't drink with a similarly great favor, for example a craft soda you know they'd like?
    Great question - no one under 21 and we are a drinking crowd. I may need to consider a backup idea if someone gets pregnant, but most of the friends that could be in that situation would welcome a bottle of wine to look forward to post delivery! I'll look into some of the craft sodas from a local place and see if I could get some quickly if needed. Thanks!
  • I love wine- so yes!

Full or half depends on your budget. I wouldn't say no to either ;).

P.S. I brought back two bottles of wine from Paris via plane flight over the Atlantic (all in one piece!). Being OOT wouldn't stop me from enjoying your wine favour ;)
  • SP29 said:
    I love wine- so yes!

P.S. I brought back two bottles of wine from Paris via plane flight over the Atlantic (all in one piece!). Being OOT wouldn't stop me from enjoying your wine favour ;)
    Yes, I have brought wine back from Europe in checked baggage. If people are flying domestically, they might not plan on checking baggage. That is why I asked that question. I avoid checking baggage if at all possible!
  • SP29 said:
    I love wine- so yes!

Yes, I have brought wine back from Europe in checked baggage. If people are flying domestically, they might not plan on checking baggage. That is why I asked that question. I avoid checking baggage if at all possible!
    Ah- good point! I've always ended up bringing one checked bag, so I've forgotten that some people are capable of travelling light ;)
  • SP29 said:
    SP29 said:
    I love wine- so yes!

Ah- good point! I've always ended up bringing one checked bag, so I've forgotten that some people are capable of travelling light ;)
    Even in carry-on baggage, you need to make sure that liquids brought on are in small containers that fit the rules, so be sure to double-check.
  • I'm one of those people that can do carry on for up to three weeks of vacation! Absolutely hate checking baggage.

• I think it's a great favor. 

If someone becomes pregnanat and its easy to replace it then great-awesome hosting! But I wouldn't be stressing out about making sure you know the potentially pregnant guest's favorite craft soda.I get putting guests comfort first but at the same time if people don't want/can't have it they don't take it-just like any other favor.

Don't like dark chocolate? Loathe koozies? Cool. Leave yours on the table and maybe someone else wants 2.

• @Inixon8 - true. I just like keeping my options open and hosting people properly is something I'm very passionate about. Chances are, everyone will get wine (if we even go with favours).
  • If someone doesn't / can't take theirs .......

• @holyguacamole79 I beat you to it! Leftovers are mine!!!!!
  • We are doing wine for favors (my dad makes wine) and we have so many people that we are doing half bottles. I think its fun and can definitely be personalized. Since we are doing assigned seating we are using that to hold place cards and will know where under 21 guests are. We have a cool soda place where I live with hundreds of different glass bottle sodas, so that's what under 21 are getting at their seat.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • @dreamsinpink I won't be personalizing on the label because I want to make the favour as flexible as possible for use. It might be different in your case as yours is homemade. I make cards and scrapbook so will be making a little tag to hang around the neck of the bottle. We are having a very small wedding so I'm leaning more to doing a full bottle but if we were having more guests, a half bottle might be better. 
  • ernursej said:
    JaxInBlue said:
    One more question - anyone under 21?  Anyone that you know of who doesn't drink? Could you accommodate those who can't drink/don't drink with a similarly great favor, for example a craft soda you know they'd like?
    Great question - no one under 21 and we are a drinking crowd. I may need to consider a backup idea if someone gets pregnant, but most of the friends that could be in that situation would welcome a bottle of wine to look forward to post delivery! I'll look into some of the craft sodas from a local place and see if I could get some quickly if needed. Thanks!
    All I have to contribute is that you & your friends sound like an awesome crowd! I'm sure your wedding will be a blast and wine is always a welcome gift :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards