Honeymoon Discussions

Zika Virus??? Honeymoon

So I have myself so worked up about the Zika virus.... The cdc raised the Caribbean to a level 2 warning......So we are wondering is anyone else worried?

Re: Zika Virus??? Honeymoon

• Are you pregnant or planning to become pregnant in the very near future? If not, I wouldn't worry. It's pretty harmless UNLESS you are pregnant. I mean, it might ruin a vacation if you're sick, but so can diarrhea, food poisoning, etc.
  • We want to get pregnant right away....older bride
  • We want to get pregnant right away....older bride
    If you're planning to try to get pregnant right away, I would not pick a honeymoon spot where there is zika virus. Doesn't seem worth the risk.
  • Is your honeymoon already booked? If not perhaps you can go somewhere else or pick a place in/near the Caribbean that currently doesn't have reports of the virus. I think last I looked Jamaica didn't (we went there in October and loved it) but I haven't looked in a couple of weeks so that might have changed. 

If it's already booked I would definitely take precautions to avoid being exposed to the virus. Stay away from mosquito areas, use bug spray, wear long sleeves, stay indoors when possible, etc... Both you and your new H should take the precautions because I believe they've found that it is transmitted sexually. If you do get any of the symptoms then get tested ASAP before trying to get pregnant. 

I think it's a really serious thing and you're right to be worried. We're planning on TTC this summer and I think DH is going to make me go get tested every time I sneeze (that's a bit of exaggeration lol but he is worried that it might come more heavily to the US too). That being said you can only do so much to prevent it so do what you can to prevent it and then enjoy your honeymoon!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If possible I'd look for another spot until it dies down, or push TTC. The virus is only active in your body for a week or two, so you could start TTC after you get back. But ideally, find someplace else so you don't have to worry. I'd think if it's already booked that a virus could be cause for a change from the company. I know when there was a resort that had massive ecoli going around the tour operators changed resorts for no charge.
  • There has been some concern in the medical community about the sexual transmission of Zika.  Apparently it is capable of living in semen for an extended amount of time, the exact length of which has not been determined, and it can be passed to a woman during intercourse.  The doctors in the articles that i've read recently say that Zika should be more of a concern to men who are planning to start families soon...because it's possible that the virus could live in their semen for many months after initially getting the virus.

If you want to get pregnant quickly after the wedding, I'd push and go elsewhere.  There are a lot of places you can go where the virus is not rampant. 

• If possible I'd look for another spot until it dies down, or push TTC. The virus is only active in your body for a week or two, so you could start TTC after you get back. But ideally, find someplace else so you don't have to worry. I'd think if it's already booked that a virus could be cause for a change from the company. I know when there was a resort that had massive ecoli going around the tour operators changed resorts for no charge.
    I mean I'm not a doctor so I recommend you check with one before listening to what a random internet stranger says but I've been reading that it can cause issues for pregnancies up to 2 years after you have the virus. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    Definitely consult your doctor or gyn (which you should be anyway if you're planning on TTC soon). I've had several currently pregnant and TTC friends cancel trips to countries near to but not yet affected by Zika. Basically, is it worth the potential risk to you that your baby will be born with the deformities being attributed to zika? There's just so many unknowns right now.

• Sounds like it's time for Honeymoon Plan B: Alaska. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My Brazilian cousin who lives in Rio just got pregnant.  I can't be happy for them.  I'm scared for them.  My mom is all, "But I'm sure she'll take precautions."  And I had to be the one to ask her if her husband will also be "taking precautions" because it's also transmitted sexually.  Mom's like, "oh.  But I'm sure she'll take precautions.  I'm sure she'll take precautions."  *sigh*  Crossing my fingers.
  • We're also an older couple hoping to get pregnant ASAP after the wedding. We originally had a destination wedding and honeymoon planned for the Caribbean and changed plans last month with only 4 months to go. Despite the last minute scrambling to re-plan, I'm confident we made the right choice. Multiple people had voiced their concerns about Zika and the risks didn't  seem worth it- keep in mind, they don't know yet how long the virus can live in sperm. Wedding planning is already stressful enough without adding health concerns to the list of potential problems. 
    I mean I'm not a doctor so I recommend you check with one before listening to what a random internet stranger says but I've been reading that it can cause issues for pregnancies up to 2 years after you have the virus. 

That's what I saw from a CDC link...On FB haha. But yes, please check with your dr.

"Can a previous Zika infection cause a woman who later gets pregnant to have a baby with microcephaly?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that Zika virus, after it is cleared from the blood, poses a risk of birth defects for future pregnancies. Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for about a week."

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html

Semen up to 2 weeks, and can be transmitted sexually.

That's what I saw from a CDC link...On FB haha. But yes, please check with your dr.

"Can a previous Zika infection cause a woman who later gets pregnant to have a baby with microcephaly?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that Zika virus, after it is cleared from the blood, poses a risk of birth defects for future pregnancies. Zika virus usually remains in the blood of an infected person for about a week."

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/pregnancy/question-answers.html

Semen up to 2 weeks, and can be transmitted sexually.

This is what I have heard, also, but I personally think I would rather be safe than sorry. This is definitely a topic to talk to a doctor about.

I only recently realized that the Zika outbreak, if not contained within a year, could majorly affect our plans next year. FI's brother is getting married in South America next summer (it's a PPD, actually, so that's a whole extra can of worms), but FI and I have also discussed how that might be a time when we'd want to be TTC/ pregnant. I mentioned this to FI yesterday, and how it could potentially pose some difficulties/ hard feelings. His response was quick and final: "I love my brother, but it it comes to it, I'll tell him we have to decline, and my family will have to live with it. One week celebrating is not worth the risk to our future family." 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks Everyone! We are going to play it safe and go to Palm Springs Ca and Laguna Beach Ca. Both places are amazing and safe lol for now
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards