Favors

Welcome Bags

I really wanted to do Welcome Bags for my out of town guests to give them a little overview of the area, some recommendations, and a few local treats. But my wedding is in May and is the same weekend as the graduation at a local college. The hotels would not do a hotel block because of the graduation so everyone is staying in various hotels (near each other and the venue, but there isn't one set place). Is there a way I can get people's hotel information so I could drop off Welcome bags for them? Is this too complicated?

Re: Welcome Bags

• I really wanted to do Welcome Bags for my out of town guests to give them a little overview of the area, some recommendations, and a few local treats. But my wedding is in May and is the same weekend as the graduation at a local college. The hotels would not do a hotel block because of the graduation so everyone is staying in various hotels (near each other and the venue, but there isn't one set place). Is there a way I can get people's hotel information so I could drop off Welcome bags for them? Is this too complicated?
    I guess it depends on how many guests are staying in each hotel.  It would definitely be a lot of work because you would need to personally contact each and every guest.  What if not everyone responds?  Additionally, if the hotels will be at full capacity because of a busy weekend, a few welcome bags at several hotels might get lost in the shuffle.  Multiple bags for a wedding party at one hotel are easy to remember.  A few lone bags for a few guests could easily be misplaced by hotel staff.

• crowsgirl15crowsgirl15 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    I really wanted to do Welcome Bags for my out of town guests to give them a little overview of the area, some recommendations, and a few local treats. But my wedding is in May and is the same weekend as the graduation at a local college. The hotels would not do a hotel block because of the graduation so everyone is staying in various hotels (near each other and the venue, but there isn't one set place). Is there a way I can get people's hotel information so I could drop off Welcome bags for them? Is this too complicated?
    We actually recently did this for my best friend's destination wedding. It was completely unnecessary and a lot of work, lol, but it was important to her because everyone was traveling. She had her mother and his mother track down the hotel info for their respecitive sides, with her + FI doing the rest. She made lists of where everyone was staying, we packed them into my car, and drove them from hotel to hotel.

The hotels had no issues dealing with the delivered bags, the same way they would if you dropped anything off to deliver for a guest.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, she did have hotel blocks in addition to doing this, so it made the number of people she had to track down much lower. She ended up having 45 bags to deliver to the hotel block hotels, and then about 25 to deliver elsewhere (6 or 7 other hotels).

You can do it, but it is far from necessary. I think if you have 50 OOT guests or so (20-25 rooms) it would be more manageable than if you had, like, 150...but I'm sure the hotels can handle it if it's something you want to do.

Edited: For grammar and to bold the word unnecessary (it needed to be emphasized, lol. This should only be done if it's something you really want to do.)

• It sounds really complicated for just a little payoff, are you planning on doing any type of welcome dinner or something the night before? If you are (or have the budget for one) you could have them there to hand out to the people who attended. Or even some type of "Hey the B & G will be at *location* from *time* stop by and say hello" and hand them out then. 
  • It sounds like too much work. Don't take on extra projects like that in the days leading up to your wedding is my advice.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'd skip the welcome bags. Like PPs said, way too much work for something so minor. I wanted to do them but not everyone used a room block (turns out AAA was even cheaper than the discount with the roomblock, some got rooms through 3rd party websites) and decided to nix the idea because it was far too much work. And that was when everyone was saying in the same hotel!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• If you are doing a website, you could list all the are information on there instead of being part of a welcome bag. I've seen several well done websites where the B+G listed general area information as well as restaurant and activity suggestions. One B+G even managed to secure some discounted rates at certain activities and included that information as well. Not a perfect substitute for a welcome bag, but the bag is a lot of work.

• I had one hotel with 30 rooms, (small hotel) and they gave out maybe 5 bags. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards