Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Programs. Yay or Nay?

Who had (will have) them? Who scrapped (or will scrap) them?

I fell like we don't need them - however, I have matching invites from etsy....but I shouldn't buy them to have the whole paper set right?  Is it a waste of money for those who have had them or well worth it?

Re: Programs. Yay or Nay?

• We had them. But we (or I should say DH) made them. DH designed them on the computer then got them printed at Staples, then we folded them.

*I* keep things like programs from friends weddings, but not everyone does.

So I say it's up to you- definitely not necessary, but if it's something important to you go for it. I would not spend a lot of money though.
  • I didn't want to spend much $$$ on programs, so I considered DIY-ing. But by the time I got the information from the church on how the ceremony would flow, I was busy with all of the other last-minute stuff (calling guests who didn't RSVP in time, doing seating arrangement at reception, making place cards, etc.) that the program idea got dropped. It just wasn't worth the effort to me at that point! 
    --

• I'm scrapping them. I'll probably do a chalkboard or some kind of sign in the front and call it a day. Or maybe on my website.
  • We had a full catholic ceremony, so i wanted everyone to be able follow along.  I wanted a LOT of information so I adapted a template in Microsoft Word to match my colors then printed them myself.

Also, I personally am a huge fan of programs.  I like knowing who everyone is and how they know the couple and the "timeline" or flow of the service.  So if it's in your budget I think it's a great idea.  Definitely not necessary though - especially if the ceremony is short and uncomplicated!!
  • If I am doing anything in the ceremony I want a program. 
  • I go back and forth with programs. Its the first wedding in FI's family, and I know they would love a program for a keepsake, but I just cant seem to cough up the money for them. There's an awesome template on Etsy that I love, but its $45 and then they have to be printed. If I find a good deal on a design, then perhaps.

• edited February 2016
    I think no program for us. I am having a Jewish wedding and none of my guests except my parents, brother, and one uncle are Jewish. I don't think this is the time to educate the people though. Let them sit and listen/watch for 30 minutes and be done with it. It's not like weddings are that hard to understand.

eta: I also am not doing any sort of bridal party so there is no need for introducing people in it either. I have also been to plenty of weddings outside my faith and don't remember ever reading their programs. It's not like a ballet or a play where a program is essential.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think no program for us. I am having a Jewish wedding and none of my guests except my parents, brother, and one uncle are Jewish. I don't think this is the time to educate the people though. Let them sit and listen/watch for 30 minutes and be done with it. It's not like weddings are that hard to understand.

eta: I also am not doing any sort of bridal party so there is no need for introducing people in it either. I have also been to plenty of weddings outside my faith and don't remember ever reading their programs. It's not like a ballet or a play where a program is essential.
    I agree programs aren't essential, but if the ceremony has elements that a lot of the guests aren't familiar with it is nice to have a program. I feel very uncomfortable in a service where I don't know what is going on. I want to participate and can't if a program isn't provided. If the ceremony doesn't really have participatory elements for the guest, I would also forego the program.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    I think no program for us. I am having a Jewish wedding and none of my guests except my parents, brother, and one uncle are Jewish. I don't think this is the time to educate the people though. Let them sit and listen/watch for 30 minutes and be done with it. It's not like weddings are that hard to understand.

I agree programs aren't essential, but if the ceremony has elements that a lot of the guests aren't familiar with it is nice to have a program. I feel very uncomfortable in a service where I don't know what is going on. I want to participate and can't if a program isn't provided. If the ceremony doesn't really have participatory elements for the guest, I would also forego the program.
    I agree.  Especially since a lot of the ceremony at a Jewish wedding is in Hebrew.  If a large chunk of my guests don't know the language or cultural traditions, they're not going to understand what is going on and leaving them sitting there for 30 minutes "trying to figure out" something in an unfamiliar foreign language that isn't part of their culture with no explanation comes off as arrogant and inconsiderate of people who are there solely because my FI or I invited them to begin with.

I don't agree that "this is not the time to educate them" because I'd rather they not be left to sit there thinking "wtf?"
  • We skipped them & I have no regrets. It seems like a lot of effort for something that gets thrown away or forgotten. 
  • We had a simple 20min ceremony so I didn't feel it was necessary. I wrote the names of the wedding party, our family, and our officiant on a large window that I refinished so people could read it and know who was involved if they wanted but I didn't want another thing that I would just throw away at the end of the night like programs. I can honestly say that I have never kept a single one from a wedding I have gone to and I think most people are that way.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • They're not necessary or required, but personally I like having something to look at and read and I like knowing what to expect.

• I'm a sentimental person and a bit of a design geek, so I like programs. That said, I also like the sign ideas from @vturnipseed1 and @marriedhamstermom
  • Interesting, I think I'm on the skip it side.  Thanks!

• ernursej said:
    My cousin had an Interfaith marriage and instead of programs, the Rabbi and Priest explain the few components to the guests. I liked that approach because it felt very personal and I didn't have to deal with a program in my lap. 
    This makes the service take longer, and if the venue imposes a time limit on the length of the service, it may not work.  So putting the information in a program is a shortcut when necessary.
  • I DIY'd ours and they took a good portion of time, came out nice... I think maybe 5 were even taken.  So if you do them make sure they are handed out or visible so people take them.  No big deal at the end of the day, but man they did take a long time to do, lol. 

Anniversary
  • Jen4948 said:
    ernursej said:
    My cousin had an Interfaith marriage and instead of programs, the Rabbi and Priest explain the few components to the guests. I liked that approach because it felt very personal and I didn't have to deal with a program in my lap. 
    This makes the service take longer, and if the venue imposes a time limit on the length of the service, it may not work.  So putting the information in a program is a shortcut when necessary.
    Perhaps, but even with the explanations and two faith pieces it was only 25 minutes. I think they Coles noted the explanations so maybe if someone wanted the full story, programs would be the way to go. 
  • Our ceremony is pretty simple but we're going to have a stand with a clear frame and the program written with a white marker. I'll try to find a photo but the idea is really cute. And it saves paper!
  • I'm not having a program.  Our ceremony is the same location as the reception and it's expected to last less than 30 minutes.  Because it is going to be in May and outdoors (weather permitting), I MAY have something printed on a "fan" that says Name & Name Say I Do, 5/25/17 Chateau Briand, Carle Place, NY.  That's pretty much about it.
  • edited March 2016
    delena76 said:
    I'm not having a program.  Our ceremony is the same location as the reception and it's expected to last less than 30 minutes.  Because it is going to be in May and outdoors (weather permitting), I MAY have something printed on a "fan" that says Name & Name Say I Do, 5/25/17 Chateau Briand, Carle Place, NY.  That's pretty much about it.
    The fan is a very clever and (more importantly) practical idea, @delena76.
  • We are most likely scrapping them. My mom seems to be iffy on the idea because she wants one, but to me, it's just not worth the money because they will be immediately thrown away. I can't even remember if the most recent weddings I've been to had programs at all... We are having a short and simple ceremony, so it shouldn't be hard for guests to follow along. My mom's big concern is introducing the bridal party, so we are thinking of getting some big chalkboards for that.
  • We are most likely scrapping them. My mom seems to be iffy on the idea because she wants one, but to me, it's just not worth the money because they will be immediately thrown away. I can't even remember if the most recent weddings I've been to had programs at all... We are having a short and simple ceremony, so it shouldn't be hard for guests to follow along. My mom's big concern is introducing the bridal party, so we are thinking of getting some big chalkboards for that.
    This is what I'm thinking as well. Our ceremony will be about 15 minutes, and our wedding party is just our siblings, so some sort of signage of with their names I think should be sufficient.
    This is what I'm thinking as well. Our ceremony will be about 15 minutes, and our wedding party is just our siblings, so some sort of signage of with their names I think should be sufficient.
    Or not.  I don't need to know the names of all the bridesmaids and groomsmen when I go to a wedding.  Sometimes I'll ask.  It's often a conversation starter. "Hi bridesmaid, I'm the groom's cousin.  What's your name and how do you know the bride?"  I'm not going to read the signage if all it has on it is a list of names.  That's not how I remember things, so I won't care.  Anyway, it's not a problem if you want to make a sign, but if it's one of those things that gets put off to the last minute and eventually scrapped altogether, that's fine too.
  • Talk it over with your fiance. Decipher if a program is necessary base on the complexity of your ceremony. If you are incorporating certain traditions, it is a nice gesture to have a program. If you are memorializing a loved one, a program is a great place for that etc.
    A program can be as basic or as detailed as you like. But, in the end, it is a choice that you and your fiance make whether to have one or not.

I got married last New Year's Eve into New Year's Day and I had DIY programs. I designed my wedding programs on MS Word, bought blank 100 count programs and an elegant basket from Michael's at 50% the cost. I also incorporated 2 rolls of ribbon in my accent color.  
    They printed in 20 minutes and I invited my bridesmaids to assist with assembling them. It took them 1 hour to complete 80 along with 100 favors. Of course they were treated to lemonade and homemade appetizers.
    I did it to memorialize my mother-in-law and niece as well as explain certain traditions in our religious ceremony.

Bear in mind that guests like to follow along however, it doesn't have to be costly. I paid $45.00 for everything. Now I have one in our wedding scrapbook to look back on.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    For daughter's wedding, the church required them, but they also printed them on their own paper.  They were not used when I was married in 1976.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Funny story. I skipped them, but our officiant gave them to us as part of his gift. It was sweet. They took photos and info off our website to make them. They also included a copy of our vows. Unfortunately, there was a copy/paste error and the vows were for DH and Donna, not DH and me. So the running gag of the evening was, "What happened to the bride? Where's Donna?"
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • one thing we kept remember was how freaking hot it was at our friend's outdoor ceremony last year at around the same time as ours, so we're doing dual purpose programs. we're making fans out of paper and putting our program on one side and something graphic that represents our theme on the other. better than having people use a cocktail napkin to cool themselves off...lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards