Wedding Invitations & Paper

Notification of New Venue

My invites went out yesterday afternoon which was so exciting and then literally hours later I found out my venue has closed.  It's a shame and very sad but I don't have a ton of time to dwell on the problem so I'm focusing on a solution.

Here is an article about my venue closing in case anyone is interested: 
http://www.westportnow.com/index.php?/v3/comments/with_friedman_death_cobbs_mill_inn_closes/

I have already found a few very beautiful, reputable and reliable new venues. When we book one what is the best and least confusing way to communicate that to my guests?  Also, depending on the location of the new venue the hotel block may need to change.   

Along with individual phone calls to guests, I thought I would send a coordinating card to each invitee with wording like:

Dear friends,

Due to unfortunate circumstances our original venue, Cobbs Mill Inn, has closed its doors indefinitely and we have been forced to change our venue.  We are thrilled to invite you to our new venue, Plan B.  Please see the updated details below along with the new hotel block information.  

Please accept our apology for an inconvenience.  and contact us with any questions.  We hope you can attend our 'new and improved' celebration and look forward to seeing you on May 7th.  

Plan B
Address 
Awesomeville, CT 77777

5:30 PM

Rooms have been blocked at hotel for a discounted rate of $xxx.  Please mention the me/ him wedding to receive the discounted rate 

Please let me know what you think of this.  I welcome all suggestions and edits...and prayers that we figure this out sooner rather than later!  
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Notification of New Venue

• No suggestions (it looks fine to me), but lots of good thoughts for you!! Good luck finding a new venue!
  • I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you can find a new venue soon.

In the meantime, I think your announcement is fine.
  • I saw your post on the local board!  That business seems to be plagued by issues since it started changing hands a decade or so ago.   It's such a shame since the property is gorgeous.

I'm with the others that what you proposed sounds fine.   At this point the main point is to convey the change to your guests as quickly as possible.   Hopefully other local businesses are happy to work with you.

And in the meantime, I hope you didn't have too much invested there.   It sounds like you may be SOL getting money back. 
  • I think what you have laid out is fine.  I just wanted to add how damned cool you are being about the whole thing!  Kudos to you, I would not be so calm!
  • Thanks @kimmiinthemitten and all of you for the kind words!  I'm certainly trying.  Like @banana468 said, the place has had quite a few issues but it seemed perfect for our day so I took the risk.  Our deposit was $500 which isn't nothing but also isn't going to break the bank so we feel lucky in that respect.  Maybe they reopen in a couple of weeks but clearly there are some big issues there and who knows what will happen next.  Honestly, I think its a blessing that it happened 2 months out rather than 2 weeks.  

I have three appointments for gorgeous venues on Saturday so hopefully by Monday or Tuesday of next week I can contact all my guests to explain and then send out something official so they have the information in writing.  Hell or high water we are getting married on May 7!  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Kuddos to you for staying calm and cool! Hopefully this will be a 'fun' story to tell a few years down the road. I like what you have written and don't think anything needs to be changed.

• I'm sorry about the bump in the road. You have a great attitude about it, though. Your letter sounds fine to me.

• Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think it would hurt to start spreading the word there is going to be a change. I had a ton of invites & responses get lost in the mail or take much longer to get to certain areas than expected. It might help to tell VIPs about the closure and you're looking for something soon else and you'll update soon. Or at least once you decide spread the new location via word of mouth and invites, or email in addition to the paper invites? I normally hate email invites but I think this is a unique situation where you want to make sure your guests have the correct and updated info as soon as possible. 

Also, seriously, I agree with everyone on how much this sucks for you, but that you're handling is so well! Good luck with the venue search!
  • @charlotte989875 No, you are right.  We have already started spreading the word and our plan is to contact each person/ party as soon as we have a new venue to warn them.  Then we will send the new info card so they have it in writing.  

Here is a new piece of the puzzle.  We were planning on a buffet so we didn't need menu choices on the rsvp card but two of the venues we are going to look at this weekend would have a served dinner and we will need menu choices.  Should I try to collect that information online?  Ask them to write it in on the original rsvp if they haven't sent it yet?  What is the least confusing option?  

Thanks so much for all your advice and kind words!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ernursejernursej member
    First Answer First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    laurad75 said:
    @charlotte989875 No, you are right.  We have already started spreading the word and our plan is to contact each person/ party as soon as we have a new venue to warn them.  Then we will send the new info card so they have it in writing.  

Here is a new piece of the puzzle.  We were planning on a buffet so we didn't need menu choices on the rsvp card but two of the venues we are going to look at this weekend would have a served dinner and we will need menu choices.  Should I try to collect that information online?  Ask them to write it in on the original rsvp if they haven't sent it yet?  What is the least confusing option?  

Thanks so much for all your advice and kind words!  

For the new piece of the puzzle: Once you figure out your new location and what the catering would look like, I might just call each invited guest. You could try a combo of both online and phone calls to decrease the amount of calling you have to do. You could write the options on your note from above letting guests know that they can select online or you would be following up with a phone call.

Edited: for an additional thought that popped up once I submitted my comment.

• I might have missed this, but how large is your guest list? If small, I'd probably just call, but you could also do an insert with your new invite that says something along the lines of, "Call, text, email your meal choice to XYZ". That way people will contact you however they feel most comfortable, and if people don't contact you, you will be able to call and follow up directly with them (hopefully having the amount of people you have to call individually).
  • I might have missed this, but how large is your guest list? If small, I'd probably just call, but you could also do an insert with your new invite that says something along the lines of, "Call, text, email your meal choice to XYZ". That way people will contact you however they feel most comfortable, and if people don't contact you, you will be able to call and follow up directly with them (hopefully having the amount of people you have to call individually).
    We invited 150 so between me, FI, and parents this is definitely manageable.  Thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards