Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Is a potluck reception tacky?

2»

Re: Is a potluck reception tacky?

• My FI and I also have a number of family/friends with dietary restrictions (gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, kosher....) At some point I joked with my Mom that we were just going to serve everyone large piles of plain lettuce. We went with a venue that has a menu with stations, and they'll change of a couple of things to ensure that there are enough options. 
  • edited March 2016
    My FI and I also have a number of family/friends with dietary restrictions (gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, kosher....) At some point I joked with my Mom that we were just going to serve everyone large piles of plain lettuce. We went with a venue that has a menu with stations, and they'll change of a couple of things to ensure that there are enough options. 
    We're thinking of something like that: basics like pizza, chicken wings and tenders, sandwiches, meatballs, but also antipasto, Mediterranean, Asian, crudités, fruit, cheese. Just waiting to hear back from the chef. Grrrr.

We're thinking a 1:30-2:00 ceremony, about 30-45 minutes long. Reception is in the same venue, so as soon as food is set out (I want to hire a few students for this), people can eat. Everything will wrap up between 5:00 and 6:00 (I think; I have to time our playlist and figure out where the cake cutting will fit in.)

Does that sound OK?
  • @OurWildKingdom, I might try to end on the 5pm side of your range as by 6pm, you are certainly into the dinner hour. I like most of your suggestions, but might caution with chicken wings as they are hard to eat 'politely' and without getting sauce everywhere.

• ernursej said:

@OurWildKingdom, I might try to end on the 5pm side of your range as by 6pm, you are certainly into the dinner hour. I like most of your suggestions, but might caution with chicken wings as they are hard to eat 'politely' and without getting sauce everywhere.

So 1:30 ceremony, 2:15 start serving, 2:45-3:00-ish start playing dance music, wrap up no later than 5:15-5:30? When should we do the cake?
  • I would do the cake right before any dances or just after the special dances so that all you have left to do is dance until the end. This also helps with any guests that might not want to stay for the entire time. Less of an issue with an afternoon wedding, but I hate evening weddings that wait until the end to do the cake cutting.
  • ernursej said:
    I would do the cake right before any dances or just after the special dances so that all you have left to do is dance until the end. This also helps with any guests that might not want to stay for the entire time. Less of an issue with an afternoon wedding, but I hate evening weddings that wait until the end to do the cake cutting.
    Sounds good! We're only having two special dances: our first one and a "family dance" with our mothers, my father, and my brother and his family. So we can cut the cake right after that and move on to the dancing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards