edited March 2016 in Chit Chat
Come on, it's Super Tuesday!

SaveSave

Knottie Democratic Primary 69 votes

Hillary Clinton
28% 20 votes
Bernie Sanders
69% 48 votes
Speshul Write-in candidate (tell us who!)
1% 1 vote

Re: Knottie Democratic Primary

• Options

OMG I love this GIF!

And can I just say that it's a little mind blowing to me that Sanders seems to be a front runner in just about every 'unofficial poll' I've seen, but Clinton is still the only 'seriously electable' candidate? 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Hell, its still mind blowing to me that Trump is still a serious candidate. Regardless of political stance I feel like it started out funny and now its just really scary. It is a serious possibility that he might be president. Let that sink in.
    It's terrifying! The lowest common denominator of racist pond scum finally got a microphone.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We don't vote in the primaries in CA yet, but I'll be voting Bernie. Remember that in 2008 no one thought Obama would make it far and Hillary had this in the bag... Now here we are! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

OMG I love this GIF!

And can I just say that it's a little mind blowing to me that Sanders seems to be a front runner in just about every 'unofficial poll' I've seen, but Clinton is still the only 'seriously electable' candidate? 

How is this mind blowing? He wins unscientific polls because his key supporters are people who use the Internet all the time. She is the only seriously electable candidate because she is beating him in the actual serious elections. 
  • Options
    Her lead is inflated by superdelegates.  Going into tonight, she had 91 pledged and Bernie had 65, but news outlets show the results including the supers, which makes her appear to have 723 to Bernie's 158.  There's no denying that the establishment in both parties has a clear say in who they want to win the nomination.
  • Options
    Her lead is inflated by superdelegates.  Going into tonight, she had 91 pledged and Bernie had 65, but news outlets show the results including the supers, which makes her appear to have 723 to Bernie's 158.  There's no denying that the establishment in both parties has a clear say in who they want to win the nomination.
    I'm not confused. I know exactly what her lead is in pledged delegates and she is racking them up as we speak. If Bernie won the delegate count from the primaries and caucuses the super delegates would switch their votes to him. 
  • Options
    @STARMOON44 I didn't say you were confused.  But I do think the superdelegates being reported in her counts leading up today gives her an advantage at the real polling stations because people perceive her lead to be so much greater than it realistically is.

• Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    @STARMOON44 I didn't say you were confused.  But I do think the superdelegates being reported in her counts leading up today gives her an advantage at the real polling stations because people perceive her lead to be so much greater than it realistically is.

I think that's really offensive to all the people who voted today. Maybe they aren't ignorant followers, maybe they know exactly what they are doing and just don't like Bernie Sanders. He hasn't seemed capable of appealing to black voters at all on a broad scale, for example. 
  • Options

I think that's really offensive to all the people who voted today. Maybe they aren't ignorant followers, maybe they know exactly what they are doing and just don't like Bernie Sanders. He hasn't seemed capable of appealing to black voters at all. 
    Where and when did I say people are making ignorant decisions?  I just said that Hillary's perceived lead is greater than her actual lead going into today's primaries, which will work to her advantage.  She also receives more media coverage, which also helps (see Trump for further evidence of this).  And yeah, Bernie is having a hard time appealing to black voters just like Hillary doesn't appeal to the youth vote; point being?

Mass media does influence election results.  It's cyclical.  The people who get the biggest ratings get the most screen time and the increase in screen time garners more support.  It's not right vs wrong or educated vs not educated, it just is.
    Point being she is winning by huge margins and pretending this is because people don't understand super delegates or because media attention just seems like sour grapes. People say Bernie isn't electable because he isn't. As tonight's results show. 
  • Options

I think that's really offensive to all the people who voted today. Maybe they aren't ignorant followers, maybe they know exactly what they are doing and just don't like Bernie Sanders. He hasn't seemed capable of appealing to black voters at all. 
    Where and when did I say people are making ignorant decisions?  I just said that Hillary's perceived lead is greater than her actual lead going into today's primaries, which will work to her advantage.  She also receives more media coverage, which also helps (see Trump for further evidence of this).  And yeah, Bernie is having a hard time appealing to black voters just like Hillary doesn't appeal to the youth vote; point being?

Mass media does influence election results.  It's cyclical.  The people who get the biggest ratings get the most screen time and the increase in screen time garners more support.  It's not right vs wrong or educated vs not educated, it just is.

And you said they were making ignorant decisions when you said the reporting of super delegates makes it seem like her lead is greater than it is. Only to people ignorant of the process is that true. 
  • Options
    Sorry, I couldn't resize the photo so it's YUGE (I had to!)
  • Options
    Ask the average voter and they have no idea how superdelegates work.  Hell, most active democrats don't 100% understand superdelegates.  

I think you're taking huge leaps with what I said.  Is Hillary electable, hell yeah.  She's a democratic power house who was won multiple elections on her own accord.  She's also running a far superior campaign than she did the last go round, and her polling and election results are proving that.

However, to pretend that part of Bernie's unelectable argument isn't backed by inflated superdelegate counts is naive at best.  If I was an on the fence voter, I would look at who had the lead and probably vote there.  Actual Political Science backs that.  It's typical voter behavior and it helps campaign managers plan how and who they target.

And being pro-Bernie hardly makes me anti-Hillary.  I'm excited to have the opportunity to vote for a rare politician that has walked the walk his entire life.  If Hillary walks away with the nomination, I'll still pay my party dues, and volunteer for her campaign (if time allows).  I'll still be super pumped and proud to watch the first female be elected President.  And this will still be my favorite campaign button in our super nerdy collection.

Ha well on the positive side we agree on something- that button is FABULOUS. 
  • Options
    I'll be voting for Hillary in my state's primary. I like both candidates. If Bernie wins the nomination, I'll vote for him.

I've been jumping back and forth between CNN and Fox news for coverage today. Has anyone noticed that the Democratic candidates are almost always referred to by their first names, like we know them personally? The Republicans are referred to by their last names or first and last names.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    @STARMOON44 It's so awesome.  FI's uncle knows the Clintons personally so his grandmother collected all sorts of Clinton memorabilia in the 90's and has been giving it all to us.  This one cracks me up!

ETA - we also have the inauguration saxophone.
  • Options

Since my state was part of super Tuesday, I voted for Bernie yesterday.

I did see Hillary in Boston on Monday as I was walking to get tea. There were a lot of supporters there so I am not surprised she won here.

• Options
    it's been a long time since HS government class and I have no idea what a superdelegate is
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    @kvruns I read this article yesterday on superdelegates and it was pretty illuminating. I didn't really understand it either...hell you HARDLY hear about superdelegates it seems (or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention in 2008). But the whole process is interesting.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-a-superdelegate/

FWIW I do think this could be one of those rare election cycles where the super delegate vote has the potential to win over the plurality.

ETA: N/A to the above but I voted for Bernie yesterday in Georgia's primary. I 100% knew it was a lost cause for my state but I wanted to show Bernie some support in the South. I guess toss me in with those young, white, female voters who aren't voting for Hillary in the primaries.

• Options
    FI is an AP Government teacher at home on a snow day.  He said superdelegates are covered in AP but not regular government class and that most of his students still don't really get it and those who do think they're dumb.
  • Options
    labro said:
    @kvruns I read this article yesterday on superdelegates and it was pretty illuminating. I didn't really understand it either...hell you HARDLY hear about superdelegates it seems (or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention in 2008). But the whole process is interesting.

FWIW I do think this could be one of those rare election cycles where the super delegate vote has the potential to win over the plurality.

ETA: N/A to the above but I voted for Bernie yesterday in Georgia's primary. I 100% knew it was a lost cost for my state but I wanted to show Bernie some support in the South. I guess toss me in with those young, white, female voters who aren't voting for Hillary in the primaries.
    I'm in the Massachusetts branch of this club too. I also am Feeling the Bern.
  • Options
    labro said:

ETA: N/A to the above but I voted for Bernie yesterday in Georgia's primary. I 100% knew it was a lost cause for my state but I wanted to show Bernie some support in the South. I guess toss me in with those young, white, female voters who aren't voting for Hillary in the primaries.
    This is the part I'm so confused about. Everyone I know was either voting for Bernie or voting in the other primary. I even saw a couple of people on the 10th street bridge with Bernie signs yesterday. Maybe I really only talk to youngish people and never leave Atlanta, but I really thought Bernie would do better than he did here. 

I honestly don't think I know anyone who is a huge Hillary supporter. (I also don't know anyone that openly supports Trump, and for that I'll thank my lucky stars.) I'll still vote for Hillary if she wins the primary, but I see so much more excitement about Bernie. I thought (and still sorta think) that there are people that will come out and vote for Bernie who wouldn't bother in a Cruz v. Clinton race. 
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    labro said:

This is the part I'm so confused about. Everyone I know was either voting for Bernie or voting in the other primary. I even saw a couple of people on the 10th street bridge with Bernie signs yesterday. Maybe I really only talk to youngish people and never leave Atlanta, but I really thought Bernie would do better than he did here. 

I honestly don't think I know anyone who is a huge Hillary supporter. (I also don't know anyone that openly supports Trump, and for that I'll thank my lucky stars.) I'll still vote for Hillary if she wins the primary, but I see so much more excitement about Bernie. I thought (and still sorta think) that there are people that will come out and vote for Bernie who wouldn't bother in a Cruz v. Clinton race. 

Do you know any black people? Because she won 83% of their primary vote in GA. 

The idea that there are Bernie supporters who wouldn't bother to vote in a Cruz v Clinton race really isn't backed up by any evidence, and those people, if they exist, are idiots. 
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @MyNameIsNot Hillary polls really strongly with minorities, and not as strongly with young people, especially young women. Traditionally, young people don't vote, especially in primaries, so part of it is a matter of people not getting out the vote and part of it is Bernie just doesn't have his "base" in a state like Georgia where we have a lot of racial diversity and people who have been long-time supporters of Hillary. I personally don't know anyone who publicly supported Trump or Hillary and yet they both had significant victories in our state. I don't think your personal circle is a good representation of the population at large. :)

• Options
    labro said:

Do you know any black people? Because she won 83% of their primary vote in GA. 

The idea that there are Bernie supporters who wouldn't bother to vote in a Cruz v Clinton race really isn't backed up by any evidence, and those people, if they exist, are idiots. 
    Actually, the group that I was talking to yesterday was made up of mostly minorities, including black and hispanic. I don't think that group is representative of the state as a whole, (a bunch of grad students, 100% turnout and all under 40 isn't representative of anything). I just don't see this vocal Hillary base anywhere. Obviously supporters exist, my point is that I just don't see them. 

I've talked to 5-6 people in the latter category (again not a representative sample of anything). Their perception is that there is no difference between one establishment candidate and another because they are frustrated with the process as a whole and don't see any real difference between a Clinton administration and any of the GOP candidates. I think they're wrong, but I'm not short sighted enough to dismiss them as idiots. Voter turnout is a BFD. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards