Snarky Brides

Is this becoming a thing now?

Someone I'm friends with on facebook posted professional photos of her and a few other women in a park type setting. They were sort of like engagement photos, but with 7 women. After clicking through a few I saw the caption, "Bridesmaid photo session", but it clearly wasn't a wedding.

After more snooping it appears that the bride had all of her bridesmaids get together for a bridesmaids photo shoot months in advance of the wedding.

I clicked around online and it looks like might be a thing... Which is just SO great...

Re: Is this becoming a thing now?

• OMG I haven't seen this come through my newsfeed yet, but if it ever does, I will roll my eyes so hard.... That is ridiculous.
  • dyerwise said:
    Someone I'm friends with on facebook posted professional photos of her and a few other women in a park type setting. They were sort of like engagement photos, but with 7 women. After clicking through a few I saw the caption, "Bridesmaid photo session", but it clearly wasn't a wedding.

After more snooping it appears that the bride had all of her bridesmaids get together for a bridesmaids photo shoot months in advance of the wedding.

I clicked around online and it looks like might be a thing... Which is just SO great...
    Tell me they wore matching, or at least coordinating, outfits please.
  • adk19 said:
    dyerwise said:

Yes.  Robes embroidered with "bridesmaid" and the couple's name and the wedding date.  And they were all holding signs with "cute" sayings on them.
  • Jen4948 said:
    adk19 said:
    dyerwise said:

Yes.  Robes embroidered with "bridesmaid" and the couple's name and the wedding date.  And they were all holding signs with "cute" sayings on them.

On a positive note they were not wearing matching outfits. The bride was wearing a plastic tiara and sash.

the poses are so incredibly awkward... If i block out their faces is it still a TOS violation to share?
  • Jen4948 said:
    adk19 said:
    dyerwise said:

Flashback to sorority girl days. 
  • Thank goodness my bridesmaid days are over before one of my friends heard about this. If any of my friends get married again they are on their own with this one! It's just more and more and more.

• Could it be a pre-Bachelorette party group photo? 

SITB
    I have photos from my bachlorette with my bridesmaids but the photographer was a fellow drunkard at a beach bar who managed to understand a slurred version" Can you take our picture?" with my iphone.

• My photographer was highly encouraging me to do this when I signed my contract!! It waas no extra charge and the pictures would be adorable!

Yeah. No. So much no.

I honestly wouldn't hate this...but that's ONLY if it's a photo shoot for all of them to have fun. In other words...solo photos of all the guests on their own, each being given a turn to shine, etc...I would see that as a fun thing to do with my friends.

But if it's JUST group shots with the bride in cute matching outfits? Yeah, no.

I honestly wouldn't hate this...but that's ONLY if it's a photo shoot for all of them to have fun. In other words...solo photos of all the guests on their own, each being given a turn to shine, etc...I would see that as a fun thing to do with my friends.

This is the opposite of my idea of fun. So I vote no on all counts.
  • nerdwife said:
    Could it be a pre-Bachelorette party group photo? 

If I'm going to take the time to look cute and get professional photos taken of me, they are going to be with FH, not with a bunch of friends of my friend.

I don't think so. It is bright and sunny, they are in a park, everyone is in very weird poses.

There are about 25 of these photos, all staged and posed. Let me describe some of the poses:

Everyone sitting on large rock boulders, sitting with their legs crossed and hands on their knees, very stiff and pageant like.

3 the girls standing, holding the bride while she is like laying side ways.

3 girls dog piled onto the bride so they sort of look like a totem pole.

Everyone looks super serious, it does not look like they took super goofy photos to be funny, if that was the intention it failed.
  • dyerwise said:

I don't think so. It is bright and sunny, they are in a park, everyone is in very weird poses.

There are about 25 of these photos, all staged and posed. Let me describe some of the poses:

Everyone sitting on large rock boulders, sitting with their legs crossed and hands on their knees, very stiff and pageant like.

3 the girls standing, holding the bride while she is like laying side ways.

3 girls dog piled onto the bride so they sort of look like a totem pole.

Everyone looks super serious, it does not look like they took super goofy photos to be funny, if that was the intention it failed.
    More like high school than sorority. Sheesh.
  • A co-worker did this, but with the entire wedding party. She had the photo hanging up in her cubicle forever.
  • My photographer was highly encouraging me to do this when I signed my contract!! It waas no extra charge and the pictures would be adorable!

Yeah. No. So much no.
    Not gonna lie...if this comes as a free part of my package, we're gonna have to have a professionally photographed group cosplay. 

Then again, most of my WP already have what they need for a few cosplay options, and they WANT to show off their handiwork. ;)
    That actually sounds fun!
    I was wondering the same thing.
  • adk19 said:
    nerdwife said:

If I'm going to take the time to look cute and get professional photos taken of me, they are going to be with FH, not with a bunch of friends of my friend.
    Meh, to each their own. I would love to get dolled up with my friends and have a photoshoot. Especially if champagne is involved. But no, not a "bridesmaid shoot" or whatever this seems to be.

• monkeysip said:
    I guess I don't get what the big deal is about this.  

I mean, I wouldn't specifically pay for it.  I didn't even do bridal photos.  But I don't see a big deal with taking photos with your bridesmaids, who are presumably your close family and friends.  I'd love to have a good professional photo of my sister and I, or my best friend and I.  Of course, I wouldn't FORCE them to do that (I know that's not some people's thing), and I wouldn't do stupid matching outfits and high school poses.  But I don't see a problem with professional photos with your friends in general...
    I definitely think it would depend on who your bridal party is. All of you are cousins, and close? Could be fun for everyone. You're a collection of family and friends from different social circles? Probably only fun for the bride.

Then of course there's the "wedding-related" pressure factor. No matter how optional you make it sound, the bridal party members may feel like they have to come and participate - they're the only one not doing it, the bride clearly wants it and she's the bride, etc.
    Yeah, it's definitely a "know your crowd" and family dynamic kind of thing.  I think the logistics alone of trying to get together like 8 bridesmaids from different regions and circles together just for a photo shoot before the wedding would be annoying.  But it could be a really normal, easy thing for some, probably smaller and closer bridal parties.

SaveSave
  • What is the difference between this and having photos taken of you and your bridesmaids before the wedding getting ready?  
  • Getting ready photos are done on the day of the wedding and not months or weeks in advance.

I've seen some really touching getting ready photos, but I still find them overall creepy.

• adk19 said:
    nerdwife said:

Meh, to each their own. I would love to get dolled up with my friends and have a photoshoot. Especially if champagne is involved. But no, not a "bridesmaid shoot" or whatever this seems to be.
    Yes, a photoshoot with MY friends, I wouldn't mind.  But my friend's sisters, cousins, and friends from a different area of life, NOPE.  This is where the problem is.  I'd prefer a professional photo shoot with FH since it's been 8 years and we don't have a single professional photo taken of the two of us.  A distant second place for pro photos is a group of MY loved ones.  A super distant, barely on the charts third place, would be a shoot with my one close friend and bunch of her friends.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    Heffalump said:
    I Googled it and stumbled across this photo.  (It's from an article, it's not like I stole it off someone's FB timeline or anything.)  In this scenario, I am 100% sure I would be the one in the star glasses.

21-fun-wedding-photo-ideas-for-you-and-your-bridesmaids-Emily-Heizer-Photography

But this isn't the same thing, is it?  This is just an all girl side of the bridal party on the day of?

edit: because if it's not - why couldn't they just wait to take this picture on the wedding day?

• ...some photographer probably wanted the next "fetch" idea and came up with this.  And, some bride wanted to be the first to try something new that might eventually become trendy so they could say, "Oh, I did that bridesmaid photoshoot before it blew up!"  And in a couple months when everyone ceases the discussion of burlap, lace, barns, and mason jars, this will be the new thing to relentlessly snark at.
  • adk19 said:
    adk19 said:
    nerdwife said:

Yes, a photoshoot with MY friends, I wouldn't mind.  But my friend's sisters, cousins, and friends from a different area of life, NOPE.  This is where the problem is.  I'd prefer a professional photo shoot with FH since it's been 8 years and we don't have a single professional photo taken of the two of us.  A distant second place for pro photos is a group of MY loved ones.  A super distant, barely on the charts third place, would be a shoot with my one close friend and bunch of her friends.
    Yep, very true, it definitely depends on the bridal party/bachelorette group and how close everyone is. It would be a more ideal bachelorette idea for a close group.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards