Not Engaged Yet
Options

Oh hi, Thursday, good to see you

124»

Re: Oh hi, Thursday, good to see you

• Options
    If it makes you feel any better, @eilis1228, I used our story of friendship in my sermon in Big Church two weeks ago!!

For real, making IRL friends is the hardest thing ever. If it wasn't for TK, I would be a lonely mess. Meeting and clicking with Eilis was really lucky. I haven't really hung out with her friends much lately, but I get to see her and her H every week, which does wonders for my extroverted soul.

It's been hard, too, to go back to Houston and realize that by not hanging out with my friends every week like I used to, I'm so far out of the loop that I feel insignificant. Moving away has left me with very few friends and that's a really weird adjustment. 

I'm super excited about this chorus if only because it's legit like a sorority and that means that at some point, I will make friends! Haha. I've already connected with a couple of the women that are closer to my age. The majority are retired with grandkids. 

@GoldenPenguin - I feel similarly about my goddaughter. Moving three hours away makes it so much harder to see her and be involved in her life. I feel a responsibility to be present, too, not just because I love her and her parents, but because I took vows to be involved while she grew up. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    I love going to brunch, @eilis1228!  PM the restaurant so I can stalk the menu??
  • Options
    That's absolutely insane, @jenjen047. What a terrible, self centered person. What does your H think about her?

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    @audrewuh I'm expecting a full recap of the wedding!

@twodimes omg I wish my bf didn't work weekends so we could have Sunday brunch! You picked a good one!

@jenjen047 those girls sound.... lovely

• Options
    @audrewuh - H can't stand her either. It's too bad because her H is really nice and I'd like to hang out with him more, but if it means she's coming along too then no thank you.
  • Options
    @TwoDimes I have more than one similar story because I never learned my lesson. I threw a party around valentine's day for single and non-single friends at my apartment and only two people came... from different friend groups. I didn't know how to entertain so it was terribly awkward. Later a couple other people showed up drunk, and then they drank every single beer I had in my fridge. I was 20 at the time so I couldn't go out and buy more :(

For my 22nd bday I didn't throw a party, but I did make a facebook event to tell everyone where I would be hanging out for my bday. I conveniently chose the same bar that everyone always gathered at on Saturdays, so I thought for sure my friends would show. NOPE. Only one friend came, and the bar was DEAD that night, like, everyone went somewhere else. To make it worse some randoms were there and one of the girls was celebrating her bday, and the DJ (who was one of my friends too) acknowledged her bday and played a song for her while completely ignoring mine. I was all WTF, cried in a corner, and I didn't' go back out for weeks.  

And a few years ago a coworker and I decided to have a halloween party at my apartment. We invited all our other coworker friends. Would've been 8 people. I bought snacks and booze and decorations and got my place all set up, and the DAY of the party my coworker bailed on me. But instead of just bailing, SHE TOLD EVERYONE THE PARTY WAS CANCELED. So I had a decorated apt and tons of snacks and drinks and no one to share with. 

I hope my housewarming party doesn't end up the same way, but at least my expectations are lowered now. 

Re: Friends... All of my girl friends moved away! One girl finally moved back so we hang out occasionally. I had an easier time befriending dudes, and that's how I met BF (i was friends with some of his friends, and they introduced us). My social life now is hanging out with BF and his friends, who are all pretty fun. 

• Options
    @jenjen047 that really is a damn shame. H and I have not hung out with people before because one or both of us doesn't like their SO. Perfect example: bridezilla and the co-MOH in that wedding. I'm so estatic that co-MOH's engagement broke off and I just keep hoping she has the balls to break it off completely with him. 

I don't care if that makes me a bad friend. I just want my friends to be with people who aren't complete douchecanoes. 

@minskat30

• Options
    @swazzle my current favorite sushi are spider rolls, dragon rolls, sweet potato rolls,  and tiger rolls
  • Options
    minskat30 said:
    @alpacina - This may sound idealistic, but if the human race was half as kind to each other as dogs are to humans, we wouldn't have the violence we have in the world.     

I think this almost every day. I don't know that I've ever been able to love someone so unconditionally, at least not since I was a baby and "didn't know any better".

• Options
    @minskat30 people handing out bad dog training advice makes me SO angry. It makes me want to cry sometimes. 
  • Options
    @eilis1228 - 16.2 is the second workout of the Crossfit games in 2016 (they take the 16 from the year and then .# with the # being which workout it is. There will be 5 total). Can't wait to see you and @audrewuh.

@jenjen047 - Ugh, those ladies sound awful!

I also have no friends. Well, I have one friend here, but our relationship revolves either around running once every two weeks, or going out for drinks maybe once a month. I really miss having everyday friends. 

And when H and I throw parties, we joke about no one showing up, because honestly, like 10% of our guest lists actually show. We are so lame. Luckily we really like each other.

@swazzle - RE: sushi - I like stuff with eel sauce in it/on it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    @audrewuh - I think it's totally legit to want your friends to be with decent partners.

@minskat30 - That is the #1 thing I miss about my dog since she's been away.....no one greets me at the door when I come home.

@wink0erin - Oh my gosh I'm so sorry for your crappy coworker telling everyone your party was cancelled!! How mean! Fingers crossed for your housewarming party.
  • Options
    @jenjen047 Looking back, she was a self absorbed B. I was always there for her, but she was never there for me. At this point in my life I've cut out all the friends that are like that, thank goodness! 

• Options
    @wink0erin - I'm ruthless about cutting people out when needed. H is wayyy too forgiving and it bothers me.
  • Options
    @jenjen047 @wink0erin I'm the same way. H and I cut out a few people recently like that, but unfortunately our social group has shrunk significantly since cutting them out. We had some friends that we met through them, and they asked those friends to stop hanging out with us. It's kind of ridiculous. Friendships are hard. 

• Options
    @eilis1228 - Friendships are hard! I think that's why I'm just happy having 1 close local friend.

I'm pretty sure a couple we are acquaintances with got married but didn't tell anyone. He's a citizen and she was just here on a 90 day visa. She's been here for at least a year and lately they've been traveling outside the country, so I'm pretty sure she must have a green card....unless there is some sort of other visa she got that I'm not aware of.
  • Options
    minskat30 said:
    Swazzle said:
    MY NEW VIEW IS JUST TERRIBLE, YOU GUYS. 

I weep for you, you poor thing.  

@swazzle - Yes. I am also crying for you.

Not jealous. No way Jose.

(But seriously, that looks AMAZING)

• Options
    @swazzle - WOW.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    @swazzle Perfect height. Close enough for a view, far enough away from the Hudson
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards