Flowers

Bouquet to throw + a bouquet to keep?

We are meeting with our florist for final flower decisions this weekend, and my mom mentioned something about me having two bouquets - one to throw for the bouquet toss, and one to keep. My thought is that the flowers will die anyway so why spend extra money on another one, but she said if you hang them upside down they dry and keep longer...? I am no flower expert, but is it common to order two bouquets? 

Re: Bouquet to throw + a bouquet to keep?

• I ordered a "toss" bouquet because the one I ordered for myself was expensive and I didn't really want to throw such a nice/pretty bouquet. However, I've since decided that I don't really want to do a garter/bouquet toss because they're awkward and most of my friends/family are married. Anyway, rather than take it off the invoice, I've decided to give it to my flower girl (my niece) because I think she'll love it. If you don't care about your own bouquet getting messed up, there's no need to spend the extra money. If you want to try to preserve it, maybe buy a toss - they are somewhat common. Another option is saving a few flowers from your bouquet to preserve and then toss the rest. 
  • My florist included a complimentary toss bouquet (much smaller & simpler than my bouquet). Her reasoning was "I spend too much time and effort making bride's bouquets to let them THROW it!".  Maybe your florist does the same?  I didn't even do a bouquet toss, so the toss bouquet sat on the cake table as additional decoration. 

If it's an additional cost and you don't plan on trying to preserve your bouquet anyway, it's probably not worth it. 
    --

• I love bouquet tosses (mostly because I catch them!) but won't be doing a toss as I'm the last of my friends to get married. If I did, I would have grabbed a cheap bouquet instead of using my personal flowers. I'm going with silk flowers and would like to keep my bouquet. There are lots of ways to preserve your flowers, so if you want to keep, consider getting a tossing bouquet.

• I had leftovers from my aisle flowers so made a "break apart" bouquet for my toss then had good luck/well wishes ribbons (meant to go on the toss bouquet) from a flower craft store...  Had I not done that I'd have ordered a small toss bouquet from the florist (it doesn't have to match your bouquet or be your bouquet because as another pointed out, I couldn't imagine tossing mine with how much I spent on it!).  I had a friend use her wedding bouquet as the toss bouquet because she forgot to order one and didn't want to take me up on my offer to run to the local grocery and pick up some blooms to toss together into one.  Let's just say it looked like it went through the weed whacker by the time the petals had dropped and I think she was about to cry because of what happened to her lovely bouquet! 

As for preservation - Hanging it upside down is definitely one option, another is sending it in to be freeze dried, and another option is purchasing Silica Jell.  Sadly, my bouquet is still sitting in the Silica Jell because I've not had the time nor opportunity to take it out and display it and really, I'm more concerned about being able to do that with our Unity Candle...

• Of course, it's common! I will follow definitely the same way! I think, it's neccessary to keep one. But to throw bouquet  - it's a tradition. So...I'm pro two bouquets!)
  • When I was meeting with my florist she asked if I would want a toss bouquet and I said no, because I didn't want to do a bouquet toss.  I think I'll be giving it to my mom and dad, since their wedding anniversary is two days before my wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did meet with the florist today and decided on a toss bouquet. I'm not sure how well it will preserve, but regardless, like a few of you mentioned, I don't want to THROW my nice/pretty bouquet. :) Thanks, everyone!
  • When I was meeting with my florist she asked if I would want a toss bouquet and I said no, because I didn't want to do a bouquet toss.  I think I'll be giving it to my mom and dad, since their wedding anniversary is two days before my wedding.
    So sweet.  <3
  • My florist is giving me a throw away bouquet for free.  Plus my bouquet will be to heavy to toss.  I don't want any black eyes at my wedding LOL.  Also, mine will be special as I'll have a photo of my cousin on the fabric (she passed away two months ago).
  • I'm doing silk flower bouquets, so I also am having two since I would like to keep one for myself after putting time into making them (and it definitely won't wilt!). 

If it were real flowers and I had to pay for an extra, I think it would depend. If I could get the second "toss" bouquet for free or relatively inexpensively, I might consider it. But personally, while I can understand that keeping your bridal bouquet might be meaningful for some brides, I just don't think it would be that big of a deal for me, so I might just get the one to give away in the toss. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My florist is also throwing in the toss bouquet at no extra charge. Before I found out it was included in the price I considered just tossing one of the bridesmaids bouquets (assuming they didn't want to keep it themselves.) Even if you don't plan to keep your bouquet it could be too heavy to safely toss. 
  • We did meet with the florist today and decided on a toss bouquet. I'm not sure how well it will preserve, but regardless, like a few of you mentioned, I don't want to THROW my nice/pretty bouquet. :) Thanks, everyone!

The toss bouquet doesn't get preserved, that gets tossed...  Your main bouquet is what gets preserved should you choose, and it's a lot easier if you do this early...  With mine I put it in silica sand the next day in a storage container.  There it still sits...  My SIL sent hers out to be freeze dried and framed, they still look lovely today even though it was more money.  My aunt just put it into a display box and allowed it to dry naturally and it looks nice over 30 years later...
  • Yes, it's fairly common, no, it's not necessary. The idea is you want to keep and preserve your bouquet so you have another one (usually smaller and cheaper) to toss that the catcher can keep. Alternatively, you could toss a bridesmaid's bouquet. 

I didn't care care to keep and preserve mine, so I just threw the bouquet I carried. Three and a half years later, I have no regrets. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards