Wedding Woes

Trump is ruining my marriage

Dear Prudence, 
My husband supports Donald Trump and I find this very disturbing. He’s never affiliated himself with either political party and his views have always been a bit of a mixed bag—he’s voted for both Republicans and Democrats in the past. While we’ve often disagreed on political issues, what I admired about him was his ability to think critically about issues and come to his own conclusions. However, I just can’t stomach his conclusion that Trump would be a qualified president—I find Trump’s views repulsive. I just can’t get past this and can’t help to think this reveals something about my husband’s character that I didn’t know. Also, I find it embarrassing. I usually am pretty open-minded about other people’s beliefs, but this is just proving to be a thorn in my side. How do I get past this? Or do I need to get past it? 

—Dump Trump

Re: Trump is ruining my marriage

• LW needs to get over this. They don't have supreme control over who is running for president. And something is going to happen whether or not they like it. Honestly, why would you let something like this ruin a marriage that works otherwise?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • One of my favorite family members has sung Trump's praises and when I've pressed for some of the logic, I have found myself scratching my head.   

So I can understand the letter writer.   I'm in the anyone but Trump camp and I did not vote for Obama.   I don't like Hillary and I think I'll vote for her over that awful choice. 
  • I'm also in the "anyone but Trump" camp.

I'm not a Hillary fan, but if it comes down to her vs. Trump, I am not voting for Trump.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016

I get the sense that this is one of those candidate/party hack tactic questions sent in to Prudie- similar to when people from someone's campaign staff call in to a talk show, tell the screener what they want to hear, then get on and talk about their candidate... 

If not a complete BS - she's o.k. with her husband's political choices as long as they align with hers, but heaven forbid they disagree on politics!  If it was my husband I'd be shooing him out the door to go volunteer if he felt that strongly about a candidate. 

This is why she gets one vote and he gets one vote... 

• MesmrEwe said:

I get the sense that this is one of those candidate/party hack tactic questions sent in to Prudie- similar to when people from someone's campaign staff call in to a talk show, tell the screener what they want to hear, then get on and talk about their candidate... 

If not a complete BS - she's o.k. with her husband's political choices as long as they align with hers, but heaven forbid they disagree on politics!  If it was my husband I'd be shooing him out the door to go volunteer if he felt that strongly about a candidate. 

I wonder who Mary Matalin and James Carville plan to vote for...
  • I'm definitely an independent and have voted both sides in the past. I'm not a fan of any of the current candidates, but think Trump is a big joke and in no way should be president. My husband is dead set republican.  He's not really a fan of Trump, but has said he would vote for him any day over Hillary or Sanders. I think he's nuts, but he does have the right to vote for whatever asshat he chooses. We generally choose to just avoid any politics discussions in our home.

• I'm definitely an independent and have voted both sides in the past. I'm not a fan of any of the current candidates, but think Trump is a big joke and in no way should be president. My husband is dead set republican.  He's not really a fan of Trump, but has said he would vote for him any day over Hillary or Sanders. I think he's nuts, but he does have the right to vote for whatever asshat he chooses. We generally choose to just avoid any politics discussions in our home.

Just remember - some of us survived the Ventura years... 
  • Oh My God, you guys!  John Oliver created a drumpfinator where you can change Trump's name to Drumpf (his family's name before they changed it generations ago) in the Chrome web browser.  It makes these posts soooo much more fun to read, and yahoo news, and pretty much everything else.
  • Jen4948 said:
    MesmrEwe said:

I wonder who Mary Matalin and James Carville plan to vote for...
    Man, if Carville came out in favor of Sanders, that would be a helluva blow.  I did some light research and couldn't find any endorsements/speculation.

I still think we're going to see a brokered Republican convention.
  • VarunaTT said:

I still think we're going to see a brokered Republican convention.
    It's either Trump out right or a brokered convention at this point. It's unlikely (mathematically possible but unlikely) either Rubio or Cruz have enough to overtake him, given how the upcoming states are polling. A brokered convention could produce some interesting options especially if someone new (Bloomberg maybe?) throws their hat in the ring. 

Also, FIL is hardcore Republican. Never voted for a Democrat in his life. He's a business guy and has even donated and fundraiser for candidates. Even he says he's voting for Hillary if Trump is the nominee. We must be in the twilight zone. 
  • It seems like there are SO many people that don't like any of the candidates on either side.  I see big potential for some 3rd party candidate to come into play after dem/rep primaries and really succeed in this election, if it's played right. I don't recall ever hearing so many hardcore party oriented people saying that they would abandon their party if a certain candidate is nominated. I mean, if it's Trump vs. Hillary, then we get someone, like Ross Perot status back when he ran, then it could push both main parties out of the White House. So, I'm kind of curious to see what happens after the primaries.

• I do see a difference between someone who would vote for Trump, simply because they are Republican and/or don't like the Democratic choice, as opposed to someone who is "Yay Trump!  He's the man for the job!"

I would also be disturbed if my H was a Trump supporter vs. just voting for him because it's a "douche vs. turd sandwich" election (for the South Park fans out there).  Not to the point where I would let it affect our marriage, but I'd definitely want more information on WHAT it is about Trump/Trump policies he likes and supports.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I do see a difference between someone who would vote for Trump, simply because they are Republican and/or don't like the Democratic choice, as opposed to someone who is "Yay Trump!  He's the man for the job!"

I would also be disturbed if my H was a Trump supporter vs. just voting for him because it's a "douche vs. turd sandwich" election (for the South Park fans out there).  Not to the point where I would let it affect our marriage, but I'd definitely want more information on WHAT it is about Trump/Trump policies he likes and supports.

that's how i feel. i don't like any of the candidates. (I also made that same comment when i voted in the primary)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards