Outdoor Weddings

Geode Centerpieces on a Budget

Hi there! Getting married in September to a Geologist and would love to incorporate geodes into the décor without spending an arm and a leg. Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: Geode Centerpieces on a Budget

• Are there any rock and gem shows in your area? You might be able to find what you like at one of them without too much markup.
  • I don't have any advice on finding cheap geodes but I love the idea and hope you post pictures. 

• Do you live anywhere where they occur naturally (they're all over my yard! It's pretty crazy)? Or could you maybe do different types of rocks and minerals for different tables, so you'd only need a few geodes? There are some rivers you might be able to find slabs w fossils in them, or you might be able to get some hematite or lava rock. I don't know if it would be cheaper or not to vary things like that, but it might be worth finding out. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • There are break-your-own geode kits for sale online. You can find them either individually at about $2 apiece or in boxes/buckets of 10 for about $15-$10.
  • If you don't have the budget to buy them for every centerpiece, try incorporating them in key areas where they'll be seen - like your guest book table, your cake table, etc.
    *********************************************************************************

• There are break-your-own geode kits for sale online. You can find them either individually at about $2 apiece or in boxes/buckets of 10 for about $15-$10.
    I forgot about those. Sometimes you can find them in educational toy stores, but I'd check online first. Thanks @sparklepants41
  • Contact your local rock collecting club.  Maybe you could rent some specimens from a member.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Absolutely check with the Rock Hounds in your area!!!  It's likely cheaper for you to get a truckload and crack/epoxy them yourselves (not kidding about this!)...  Otherwise, watch the auction circuits - It seems like every now and then there's a rock hound retiring and selling all of their rocks.  OR, another option would be to go on a vacation somewhere that you can collect your own (Lake Superior Shoreline for example has amethyst all over, and rock hounds are going to know where the best places to go.  DIY is going to save you a TON of money on this one!!!

Or, you could change your approach - you could order bags of finished rocks by the pound (like they sell in the gift shops) and just use them as sort of confetti stones around a pillar candle on a mirror.. 

• You can also grow your own "geodes"! 
    http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?post=3353909545&group=0&frame_type=a&blog=4526&frame=1&click=0&user=0  (or search grow your own geodes on Pinterest)
    They don't look exactly the same, but the purple example here looks pretty realistic, and it would save you a ton of cash.
    Good luck!

(Also, have you thought of having rock candy there in some way?  It's really easy to make, and it looks like geodes or crystals! http://www.growingajeweledrose.com/2015/02/rock-candy-experiment.html)

• zombie...closing
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards