Chit Chat

Where would you go?

2»

Re: Where would you go?

• I spent a week and a half in Israel and the West Bank and still didn't see everything I wanted to. Tel Aviv is a fun modern city, Jerusalem has amazing history, the Dead Sea is really cool. I'd definitely go back and spend more time there. 
  • CMGragain said:
    Road trips are living hell with my DH, so I am the cruise queen.  21 cruises, so I would look at Italy and Greece.  What is your budget?
    How much do European cruises usually run? Italy and Greece would definitely be ideal - we've talked about going to both countries in the past.
  • I would do Croatia, Greece, or Spain. They all have enough variety to fill 2 weeks and are worth the time. I'd also look at Vietnam- usually I've found the flights too expensive but worth a look!
  • badbnagdwaybadbnagdway member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    I am not a world traveler, I just have not had the time and money to do it coincide very often. My very favorite trip ever was to Kenya about five years ago. I had a friend who was living in Nairobi for a year. That was a big advantage because she knew what activities we could do for not a ton of money. For example, we went on a three-night safari into the northern-most part of the Masai Mara for about $300. We also flew to the coast and spent a couple days on the beach as well. I think travel costs, including hotels (we did spend a few nights in my friend's apartment so that was a cost saver), food and airfare it was under $3,000. 

It was, so far, the trip of a lifetime. I cannot express how beautiful it was. I was gone for about 9-10 days I think. I would have happily spent more time there. If you have the time and resources to go on a big adventure trip like that, do it. I would love to go back. H is not convinced but I know actually he would love it. 

(edit for clarity)
  • I'm jealous reading of all of these places Knotties have visited. My H is definitely not an adventurous traveler (not that I am but I'd like to see a lot of places) and I know it will be hard to ever get him to go somewhere other than a Caribbean beach or maybe a couple spots in Europe, let alone anything like Asia or even somewhere like Iceland, etc.
  • kvruns said:
    I'm jealous reading of all of these places Knotties have visited. My H is definitely not an adventurous traveler (not that I am but I'd like to see a lot of places) and I know it will be hard to ever get him to go somewhere other than a Caribbean beach or maybe a couple spots in Europe, let alone anything like Asia or even somewhere like Iceland, etc.
    Just tell him you are going to one of the Caribbean's northern islands!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    CMGragain said:
    Road trips are living hell with my DH, so I am the cruise queen.  21 cruises, so I would look at Italy and Greece.  What is your budget?
    How much do European cruises usually run? Italy and Greece would definitely be ideal - we've talked about going to both countries in the past.
    I would budget about $6000.  The cruise, itself, can be as little as about $2000, including taxes.  There are deals all the time.  Can you do without a private balcony?   Avoid the month of August, as it is vacation time in Europe.  Read my sticky about cruises.  Your meals are included, but you will need to budget for airfare, drinks, tips, and excursions.  Here is an example from my favorite website  - a fantastic deal.

http://vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=13586

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • kvruns said:
    I'm jealous reading of all of these places Knotties have visited. My H is definitely not an adventurous traveler (not that I am but I'd like to see a lot of places) and I know it will be hard to ever get him to go somewhere other than a Caribbean beach or maybe a couple spots in Europe, let alone anything like Asia or even somewhere like Iceland, etc.
    Just tell him you are going to one of the Caribbean's northern islands!

good idea!

The good news is I have a couple friends who really want to go to an African safari type thing and while I don't necessarily have a desire for a safari I think I would go if they plan it because it would be an adventure trip. I've been to Africa before but it was north Africa so not quite the same

• If you can afford it, Thailand.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ElcaB said:
    Honestly, I don't love cruises. (Don't get me wrong, if someone offered me one I'd totally go, but they're not the best.) 

I've always wanted to go to Alaska --- such a cool state!

I hate cruises too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What's your budget? We did Puerto Rico two years ago and there's definitely enough there for 2 weeks worth if you move around the island (i.e. 4-5 days in San Juan, a couple on Vieques, Ponce, etc). We went to NOLA last Halloween and didn't do even close to everything in just the French Quarter on the 5-night trip. But I think it'll be hot there in summer. For future trips we definitely want to go to Ireland, Barcelona, and maybe Belize. Fantasy but unlikely trips include Japan, Australia, and New Zealand. And I want to go to Indonesia.
  • ElcaB said:
    Honestly, I don't love cruises. (Don't get me wrong, if someone offered me one I'd totally go, but they're not the best.) 

I've always wanted to go to Alaska --- such a cool state!

I hate cruises too!
    They aren't for everyone.  My DH has huge travel anxiety, but he wants to do as much as see as much as possible.  He feels safe on the cruise ship, and doesn't have to make so many decisions as on land.  He also worried about local food and water, and the cruise ship solves that issue.  Most women I know who love cruises enjoy them for the luxury of being pampered and not having to plan meals.  We both enjoy the motion of the ship.

My son would prefer to back pack across Europe.  He focuses on different things, and wants time to investigate his interests.  He enjoyed the Caribbean cruise we sailed on together, but he would rather have explored on his own.

To see Alaska, you need a plane or a boat.  There aren't all that many roads, and you can't drive in Denali National Park.  Juneau is on an island with no bridges or roads nearby.  After our first cruise there (We have taken three to Alaska), we booked a air and road tour with a company that took us up to Prudoe Bay, following the pipeline.  Too rough for me, now.  (No toilets, no bushes!)

You have to know yourself to decide what is the best vacation for you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Anywhere in the Mediterranean. Beaches, warm weather, beautiful architecture, and plenty of museums/ cultural things to do. 

@monkeysip, I visited Capri once during a study-abroad tour, and it was amazing. The lemons on the trees there in the summer are almost as big as footballs, and you can smell them EVERYWHERE. The views from Anacapri (the town on the top of the cliff) are stunning, and the hike to the Villa of Tiberius on the other side of the island is a good workout, but worth it. And of course, the water is gorgeous. 

I also loved Sicily when I studied abroad several years later for an archaeological dig. It's got a much more "authentic" feel than some of mainland Italy, in my opinion. You can still find people that speak English in most of the cities, but nobody spoke it in the small hill town I stayed in. The hills and mountains are incredibly beautiful there, though. There was something very other-worldly and relaxing about drinking a cappuccino each morning looking down on the valleys, while listening to the barbers across the street playing guitar in their shop.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • monkeysip said:
    Geez... where do I NOT want to go?  

My biggest desire is to go back to Italy.  I spent 4 weeks there years ago, but I really want to go back with H.  It's so special to me, and I want to see more of it (like the island of Capri).  And I really just want H to enjoy it.

I'd also love to go to Japan.  Or Australia.  Or other places in Europe, like England or Germany.  

Or I'd love to do a road trip across the US.  

But no money + baby = no vacations in the near future lol.

Wherever you go, have fun!
    I loooooooooove Capri!! We are getting married in November and taking a month to travel. #1 on our list is Italy. 
  • KatWAG said:

If I had two weeks, I would go to Vietnam and Cambodia. Maybe with a few days in Tokyo. Everyone I know who has been has raved.

I might also consider England and Ireland, depending on the time of year.

Cambodia was amazing! It is not a cheap flight but once you're in the country it is easy to stay places for less. We had a private bungalow 25 feet from the surf (on an island with only generators) for $35 a night.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you done Hawaii before? It was a perfect mix of adventure and relaxation for us, and is a nice middle-ground between mainland US and somewhere more pricey like Australia/NZ. While Oahu was fun (touristy yet scenic!), we enjoyed the Big Island even more so (but you have to be willing to drive a bit).

I've always wanted to do a European river cruise! We did Italy in the past, and had a great time (the food was incredible!). A week was about all we wanted (the language barrier got a little exhausting), but if you're traveling between cities I could definitely see doing more time.
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I just got back from a Australia/New Zealand work-related trip and it was faaaaaaaaaantastic.

However, something more affordable...if you don't mind Arizona's racist policies, Sedona + Tucson + Carlsbad Caverns, NM, + White Sands, NM are definitely worth a road trip. White Sands was MAGIC.

k thnx bye

• @Jells2dot0 where abouts in NZ are you heading? Need any recommendations of places to go /things to try? 
  • @Tyvm oh cool, where did you go in Australia and Nz? 
  • @Knottie1455492719 I was already there and back! Had a wonderful time and thought it was amazing!

• TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Knottie1455492719, I was in Adelaide for 2 weeks during the Fringe Festival, then a couple days in Sydney. Then we flew to Auckland to see Hobbiton and Rotorua.

k thnx bye

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards