Wedding Reception Forum

Brunch Reception

FI and I live in a very rural area and for weddings the norm is an evening ceremony followed by a dinner reception with a DJ and dancing. Neither of us was thrilled about the idea of a DJ and dancing, we are not really party people plus the expense of the DJ would take away from guest we want to invite.

I came across the idea of having an 11am ceremony followed by a brunch reception online and liked the idea. I showed it to FI and he liked it as well.  No one we know of has had this type of wedding nor have we heard of anyone do I g this in our area. So we brought it up to my mom and FMIL and they loved it. 

So what we are thinking is having the ceremony at 11am followed by a mock cocktail hour with fruit and veggie trays and breakfast breads and juice and coffee while we do pictures and then having a brunch buffet and setting up yard games outside for those who want to do those. The ceremony and reception would be at the same venue. We want it to be casual and just a socializing event without alcohol or a DJ/dancing which is more to our personalities. We also find it more important to invite all our families and friends over cutting the guest list to have alcohol and a DJ. Has anyone else done something like this that can offer some advice? I also want to make sure etiquette wise we are not making mistakes since this is different for our area and so we are learning as we go. 

Re: Brunch Reception

• I think your plan sounds great!  I would try to have some sort of music playing in the background though.  Soft music really does wonders for the atmosphere.

As long as you are hosting your guests fully (meaning they don't have to open their wallets to pay for anything) then you are good to go.
    We were thinking a radio inside playing background music but nothing for outside since outside the venue is huge that we can have a jumping castle for kids, and set up horse shoes, corn hole and crouquet and still have lots of room left over.
  • FI and I live in a very rural area and for weddings the norm is an evening ceremony followed by a dinner reception with a DJ and dancing. Neither of us was thrilled about the idea of a DJ and dancing, we are not really party people plus the expense of the DJ would take away from guest we want to invite.

I came across the idea of having an 11am ceremony followed by a brunch reception online and liked the idea. I showed it to FI and he liked it as well.  No one we know of has had this type of wedding nor have we heard of anyone do I g this in our area. So we brought it up to my mom and FMIL and they loved it. 

So what we are thinking is having the ceremony at 11am followed by a mock cocktail hour with fruit and veggie trays and breakfast breads and juice and coffee while we do pictures and then having a brunch buffet and setting up yard games outside for those who want to do those. The ceremony and reception would be at the same venue. We want it to be casual and just a socializing event without alcohol or a DJ/dancing which is more to our personalities. We also find it more important to invite all our families and friends over cutting the guest list to have alcohol and a DJ. Has anyone else done something like this that can offer some advice? I also want to make sure etiquette wise we are not making mistakes since this is different for our area and so we are learning as we go. 
    I think this sounds fantastic.  Have some Frank and Bing and Ella playing in the background and you have yourselves a pretty great party.
  • Sounds lovely. I attended a brunch wedding about 2 years ago and by far, it has been my favourite. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    My daughter's wedding was similar to your plans. except we had a church ceremony and a brunch reception in a nearby country club.   People were happy to be well fed and then able to drive back home before dark.
    This is a much more traditional wedding than the current, modern dinner-dance receptions.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    My daughter's wedding was similar to your plans. except we had a church ceremony and a brunch reception in a nearby country club.   People were happy to be well fed and then able to drive back home before dark.
    This is a much more traditional wedding than the current, modern dinner-dance receptions.

This is what our grandparents told us, I had no idea though. His grandmother is beyond thrilled by this because it similar to what she did a church wedding and a lunch reception. 
  • I think your plans sound terrific! Best wishes and congratulations!
  • It sounds lovely.  Is your venue able to accommodate you all in the event the weather is less than desirable on your wedding day?  That is the only potential glitch that seems to be missing.

The women on these boards have offered lots of delicious sounding mocktails in previous threads.  I also think a brunch might be the perfect opportunity to host a lemonade bar with different fresh fruits to infuse with the lemonade. As it gets closer to menu planning, come back and ask for suggestions!
  • Oh I will a lemonade bar sounds so good! Yes our venue is large enough. For the kids we are planning on having a coloring table inside. We are also planning on bringing board games and decks of cards in case weather is bad and we can't do the yard games. We might just go ahead and set them out for those who don't want to go outside.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Sounds lovely :)

I agree with either using an IPOD with playlist already created or hooking a laptop up to speakers to use Spotify or other music streaming site.

P.S. I've never been to a brunch wedding before, but every time someone mentions one, I really want to go! I think the whole idea of it is lovely. I also think an afternoon tea wedding would also be awesome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards