Wedding Reception Forum

Re: s

• It isn't an extra. They are guests at your wedding and you are hosting them. You are asking them to fill time for 4hrs and 15mins for no apparent reason. Fuck me that is a huuuge gap. And you think you're a hero for providing soft drinks, sandwiches, and lawn games. 

Why do you want to have this gap? It clearly isn't necessary if you are getting married at your parents house.

• Fine, if I attend your ceremony, then gap, then I'm ready to leave 15 minutes after you arrive at your own wedding.  No, really, go ahead and do that.  I guess that you'll have 10 people left  to greet you as you arrive at your reception.  And no way in hell I'm getting into a pool three hours before I'm supposed to attend a wedding reception.  What the hell kind of party you throwing here?  How about you have a wedding ceremony, you have a reception, THEN you allow people to stick around and enjoy the pool if they want.
  • dang, i was really curious what they'd be doing for 4 hours that was SO IMPORTANT.
  • madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    OP, you were quoted, so deleting your post doesn't do you any good. All it does is draw attention to it.

Also, WHY would you delete this so fast? No one was ride to you, so I am guessing you just didn't like the answers you received.

I wish you would come back and tell us WHY you need to have a four-hour gap... 

levioosa said:
    No.  It is not acceptable, and I get the feeling that you're very much trying to justify what you already know is rude.  Why in the world do you need four hours between the ceremony and reception?  This isn't hospitable because you are essentially trying to monopolize an entire day of your guests' time.  The average reception is 4-6 hours, and at the end of that, guests are exhausted and want to leave.  Your party will be over before it begins.  Your family should also have nothing to do with hosting. That's your job.  They didn't sign up for this--you and your FI are the ones who decided to get married and host a party.  
    Also, even if it were okay etiquette-wise to have a gap (it's not), the bolded is a true statement... If I were a guest, and if I spent 4.5 hours in the summer sun doing activities, I would be exhausted by the time your official reception started. I would probably leave right when dinner is over, as I bet your guests will if you have a huge gap.

kylexo said:
    dang, i was really curious what they'd be doing for 4 hours that was SO IMPORTANT.
    Just a guess, but I am going with this being a Catholic ceremony, since a lot of Catholic churches will only do ceremonies in early afternoon because of afternoon mass... A sadly common excuse for a gap.

adk19 said:
    Fine, if I attend your ceremony, then gap, then I'm ready to leave 15 minutes after you arrive at your own wedding.  No, really, go ahead and do that.  I guess that you'll have 10 people left  to greet you as you arrive at your reception.  And no way in hell I'm getting into a pool three hours before I'm supposed to attend a wedding reception.  What the hell kind of party you throwing here?  How about you have a wedding ceremony, you have a reception, THEN you allow people to stick around and enjoy the pool if they want.
    I agree with all of this... If you MUST have a carnival with the bouncy house and pool and everything, then have your official reception from 1-5pm, and have all of these activities after. I would be much more likely to stay for the entire day/evening if there was an after-party of sorts, with the pool and games and whatnot. But no thanks to jumping in a pool before the reception.

ETA more of my opinions
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh,dear.  Is just ONE WHOLE DAY enough time for people to celebrate YOU?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • As a parent there is no way I'm making it 4 hours on finger sandwiches and long games and THEN through another party.   That's a great way for allunch the parents of young kids to get out fast.     

I don't want to split my holidays and attend two Thanksgivings or two Christmas dinners and I certainly don't want to do that for a wedding.   

Dare I ask what the plan is if it rains? 
  • Hmmmm, another OP overcome with ragret? @Sherbie25 @glasgowtolondon ?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Came for the bat signal...I, too, am curious about her backup plan for rain.  If it includes providing "free ponchos to guests," I'll snort tea out my nose.
  • Holy shit. Waiting around for FOUR hours for the reception to start!?! 
  • Holy shit. Waiting around for FOUR hours for the reception to start!?! 
    I've dealt with a gap like that once and it wasn't pleasant but at least it was inside.

• I was going to make a ragret gif using a clip of the kid from The Shining, but I'm just not tech savvy enough, apparently.

• Hmmmm, another OP overcome with ragret? @Sherbie25 @glasgowtolondon ?
    Well done! @tigerlily6
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards