Wedding Reception Forum

Uber Events?

Has anyone used Uber Events before? The wedding is 15 min from the hotel, but the hotel only offers one van for 12 people 2x a night...we have 70. Positive/negative reviews of this service? Ideas to tell guests about it if you have used it? Thank you!!

Re: Uber Events?

• I'm not familiar. Do the guests pay for Uber individually like they normally would, like an alternative to taxis?
    Could you pay to hire your own private shuttle so people don't have to pay a taxi or drive themselves?

• The cost would go to the bride and groom at end of the night (guests don't pay). 
  • The cost would go to the bride and groom at end of the night (guests don't pay). 
    Nice! Hopefully someone has experience then and can get back to you. Otherwise you might have to be the first and let everyone else know how it went! 

• I don't know about Uber Events, but I do know people who have had great experiences with regular Uber. They do a lot of intense research on those drivers!

• Please keep us updated on this! I would strongly consider this for my wedding, as transportation is costing me a lot for my hotel guests. 
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    I'm a huge fan of Uber and use it fairly often. I haven't had need for uber events, but I have done some of the other offshoots and found them to be well organized (uber eats and kittens). In my experience, pretty much anyone can handle using the uber app when given instructions, although some older guests may not have a smart phone. Since there isn't an option to call, it might be wise to have someone available who can assist if guests are supposed to individually order their uber. 

My concern would be with the pricing and availability. Usually minimum fare is $5. If you have 40 parties using the service, (assuming your 70 are mostly couples but a few singles in the mix), you're at $200 minimum. Could you hire the hotel shuttle to make a couple of extra runs for less than that? Is the area in high enough demand that there will be sufficient cars during that time period without a long wait? 
  • I'm a huge fan of Uber and use it fairly often. I haven't had need for uber events, but I have done some of the other offshoots and found them to be well organized (uber eats and kittens). In my experience, pretty much anyone can handle using the uber app when given instructions, although some older guests may not have a smart phone. Since there isn't an option to call, it might be wise to have someone available who can assist if guests are supposed to individually order their uber. 

My concern would be with the pricing and availability. Usually minimum fare is $5. If you have 40 parties using the service, (assuming your 70 are mostly couples but a few singles in the mix), you're at $200 minimum. Could you hire the hotel shuttle to make a couple of extra runs for less than that? Is the area in high enough demand that there will be sufficient cars during that time period without a long wait? 
    I don't know about OP's area, but when DD was married in Chicago our shuttle was $500 for the evening.
  • My work does this for our summer work Function and Christmas party so no one worries about drinking and driving. I think you have to set up an account ahead of time and the users have to somehow tap into it and it is open for certain hours that day. 
  • Actually, you can set a price limit, e.g., $10 per ride and if the trip costs more than that, the guest pays the difference. That way, you can budget how much you are paying on behalf of your guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards